Play Book Tag discussion

January 2018: Science > Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan- 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~*Kim*~ (new)

~*Kim*~ | 462 comments Susannah is a young, vibrant reporter for the New York Post with a promising future when things start going awry. She wakes up strapped to a hospital bed with no memory of how she got there. Now she was labeled as violent and psychotic. She has spells of catatonia and delusions, along with mysterious seizures. She has many tests that all come back normal and as things get progressively worse for Susannah, her family fears there may not be a cure for her, let alone a diagnosis.

This was an interesting story that took several different turns, as far as what doctors thought was wrong with Susannah. It's a scary story, too, knowing that something like this could happen to anyone.

message 2: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 5499 comments ~*Kim*~ wrote: "Susannah is a young, vibrant reporter for the New York Post with a promising future when things start going awry. She wakes up strapped to a hospital bed with no memory of how she got there. Now sh..."

I loved reading it. I felt so bad for her as it was happening.

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5633 comments I also liked this .... it was a selected for my F2F book club in summer 2016. I listened to the audio, which was very well done.

message 4: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Another vote for this book . . .I think I also gave it four stars. It was hard to put down, and you really empathize with author. I can't imagine.

message 5: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6920 comments This is on my tbr!

message 6: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments I’ve always meant to read this and haven’t gotten around to it yet. I think I shall this year with my non-fiction goal.

A friend of mine had a similar event happen to her. She had a psychotic break for about six weeks, with no prior history of mental illness, and none since, although mental illness is very prevalent in her family. She ended up in involuntary inpatient care for a month. In her words she completely lost the plot. It was very interesting watching how people in her life managed their feelings. Many just couldn’t handle it and completely disconnected from her which was so sad. People fear mental illness so much.

message 7: by Flo (new)

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 145 comments I started reading this at some point, but I actually stopped because it was kind of scaring me. I mean, I love the brain and I study it, but there are so many ways that it could go wrong for no reason, and people just don't know enough about it to really do much to fix it when it does go wrong (I work in Alzheimer's research, so I know all about that!) Maybe I'll pick this one up again sometime though, since it's in line with my interests!

message 8: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6276 comments Susie wrote: "I’ve always meant to read this and haven’t gotten around to it yet. I think I shall this year with my non-fiction goal.

A friend of mine had a similar event happen to her. She had a psychotic bre..."

Oh, this is such a sad story. I feel terrible for people (and their families) who experience this type of incident. I'm sure it is a very powerless feeling . . .