Read Scotland 2018 discussion

Mary Queen of Scots: 26-30+ > Susan's Scottish List

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Susan (last edited Dec 27, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments After reading far more Scottish books than I thought I would last year, I might as well really try to push myself this year and go for the hardest challenge. I guess time will tell if I manage it.

List of books read:
1 Written in Bones (Inspector McLean, #7) by James Oswald
2 Worlds End Murders Christine Eadie & Helen Scott by Waine Lasikiewicz
3 Strange Tales of Scotland (Jack's Strange Tales Book 1) by Jack Strange
4 The Gathering Dark (Inspector McLean, #8) by James Oswald
5 Partners in Crime by Stuart MacBride
6 Bloody Royals (Fiske and MacNee Mysteries Book 1) by Alan Alexander
7 The Long Drop by Denise Mina
8 Against a Dark Sky (DCI Dani Bevan #1) by Katherine Pathak
9 The Skye Trail. by Mountainstar Wales
10 Call-Out A Climber's Tales of Mountain Rescue in Scotland by Hamish MacInnes
11 Maniac by Angus MacVicar
12 Murder Mystery Collection by Bruce Beckham
13 Beyond Cutting (Viv Fraser, #1) by Vicki Clifford
14 Rangi - Highland Rescue Dog by Ernest Dudley ]
15 Don't Go There! by Marie Rowan
16 The Wrong Way How Not to Walk the West Highland Way by Bart Stevens
17 Quinag by Vespa Pole
18 Sinclair The World's End Murders Through the Eyes of a Killer (True Crime) by Ryan Green
19 Haunted St. Andrews by Geoff Holder
20 She (DI Munro & DS West #1) by Pete Brassett
21 Deadly Prospects (Scottish Mysteries, Book 1) by Clio Gray
22 The Loch Ewe Mystery by Bill Kirton
23 Dead Man's Prayer (DI Frank Farrell, #1) by Jackie Baldwin
24 Perfect Dead (DI Frank Farrell #2) by Jackie Baldwin
25 No Time to Cry (DC Constance Fairchild, #1) by James Oswald
26 Blood and Granite True crime from Aberdeen by Norman Adams
27 Half The Lies You Tell Are True by C.P. Wilson
28 Avarice (DI Munro & DS West #2) by Pete Brassett
29 Enmity (DI Munro & DS West #3) by Pete Brassett
30 Crash Point (DI Frank Miller #1) by John Carson
31 Games People Play (Charlie Cameron #1) by Owen Mullen
32 Once Upon A Time In Glasgow’s Oatlands by Danny Gill
33 Silent Marker (DI Frank Miller #2) by John Carson
34 Duplicity (DI Munro & DS West #4) by Pete Brassett
35 The Border A History in 10½ Chapters by Anton Hodge
36 Terminus (DI Munro & DS West, #5) by Pete Brassett
37 Talion (DI Munro & DS West #6) by Pete Brassett
38 Perdition (Detective Inspector Munro murder mysteries Book 7) by Pete Brassett
39 The Spider and the Stone A Novel of Scotland’s Black Douglas by Glen Craney
40 The Bruce Trilogy The Steps to the Empty Throne / The Path of the Hero King / The Price of the King's Peace (Robert the Bruce, #1-3) by Nigel Tranter
41 Murder At Flaxton Isle by Greg Wilson
42 The Canisbay Conspiracy by Angus MacVicar
43 Garnethill (Garnethill #1) by Denise Mina
44 Toxic by Mark Frankland
45 Miller Time (Oz Blackstone Stories #4) by Quintin Jardine
46 The Gathering Murders (Inspector Torquil McKinnon, #1) by Keith Moray
47 Macbeth (Hogarth Shakespeare) by Jo Nesbø
48 Now We Are Dead by Stuart MacBride

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Good luck Susan, I’m sure we’ll manage it :)

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Well that's book #1 finished so hopefully off to a good start.
Written in Bones by James Oswald Written in Bones (Inspector McLean, #7) by James Oswald the 7th book in the Inspector Tony McLean series.
An enjoyable read but not the best in the series. Review here: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 4: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 52 comments Good for you on finishing a book so quickly!

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments Crime and paranormal in one book - my favourite genres :) I've now added the first book in the series to my 'to read' list

message 6: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Took a quick detour from my other books to read the very short Worlds End Murders: Christine Eadie & Helen Scott. Very basic without much detail but ok for anyone not very familiar with the case. Review at https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Susan wrote: "Took a quick detour from my other books to read the very short Worlds End Murders: Christine Eadie & Helen Scott. Very basic without much detail but ok for anyone not very familiar ..."

Oh interesting. Shall check that out

message 8: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Just finished Strange Tales of Scotland. Started it last summer after seeing it mentioned in last years challenge. Took a long time as I started just reading 1 or 2 chapters between other books and then stalled for a while. Finally decided to go back and finish it. Nowhere near as hard a slog as this makes it sound though, it was just a bit away from where my reading wanted to go.
It's a nice compilation of some well known and other less known myths, legends and ghosts etc. Worth a look if you like this type of thing.

message 9: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments That's the latest James Oswald finished. Happily it returned to the more paranormal themes which make this series stand out from others, in my opinion. Glad to see Madam Rose back as well and already looking forward to the next one as the end of this one seemed to drop a few hints.

message 10: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 87 comments Susan wrote: "That's the latest James Oswald finished. Happily it returned to the more paranormal themes which make this series stand out from others, in my opinion. Glad to see Madam Rose back as well and alrea..."
So glad to hear Madame Rose is back with some paranormal activities. It's about the only series I enjoy that in. The latest by J.O. won't be available in the States or my library for another few months.

message 11: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Ellen wrote: "Susan wrote: "That's the latest James Oswald finished. Happily it returned to the more paranormal themes which make this series stand out from others, in my opinion. Glad to see Madam Rose back as ..."

She's only got a smallish part in this one but there's definite hints that she's sticking around for the next one.

message 12: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Just read Partners in Crime by Stuart MacBride. Two short stories featuring DI Steel and Logan McRae. The 1st sees DI Steel in line to inherit money in a criminals will, if she delivers the eulogy at his funeral. The 2nd has Logan and Steel on the Isle of Jura trying to capture a collection of drug dealers. Both stories are more comedy than 'serious' crime fiction and provide a nice short interlude between other books.

message 13: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Two books finished since my last post. The Long Drop by Denise Mina, which I reviewed here https://www.goodreads.com/review/show....

Also Bloody Royals by Alan Alexander the 1st book in the Aberdeen based Fiske and Macnee detective series. Following the investigation into the discovery of an old skeleton near the Balmoral estate, the 'office politics' surrounding the investigation and leads to the discovery of several past crimes which have been covered up.

Not the most exciting story I have read and a bit predictable at times, but good enough that I will give the next in the series a go.

message 14: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments I think I may try that Alan Alexander series, we stayed a few times in Crathie, so I think that would be fun.

message 15: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Book no. 8 was Against a Dark Sky by Katherine Pathak the first in the DCI Dani Bevan series. Really enjoyed this book. 5 walkers get lost and separated in bad weather on a mountain. 2 make it down and call for help. The next morning 1 is found alive, 1 dead and 1 missing.

Initially looking like a tragic accident it soon become clear it was murder, possibly with links to another tragedy on the mountain 20 years earlier.

Set primarily in the small town at the foot of the mountain, a small pool of 'suspects' hides a complex set of interlocking stories which send the team down a number of blind alleys before they unearth the truth.

I really got into this story, the description of the location and the characters really drew me in and through the deceptively fast paced story. Really looking forward to reading more in this series.

message 16: by Susan (last edited Mar 11, 2018 06:32AM) (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments A quick read for book 9. The Skye Trail. by Mountainstar Wales. An account of 6 days walking on Skye. Amusing anecdotes and plenty of photo's of the views make this an interesting short read. Polished it off in two sittings although I did go back and look at the photo's again on the laptop as the kindle only showed them in black & white and not great detail.

message 17: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments Followed on from the walk on Skye with Call-out: A climber's tales of mountain rescue in Scotland by Hamish MacInnes. A fascinating insight into Mountain Rescue in the 1960s and 70s. The accounts of the rescues are well told, going into detail of the technical aspects and difficulties of extracting the casualties. The harrowing nature of the work and the dedication of the teams comes across yet there is no glory hunting about the way the stories are told.

Really pleased that this has been republished as an e-book as paper copies of MacInnes' books can be hard to track down.