Stephen King Fans discussion

'Salem's Lot
This topic is about 'Salem's Lot
2nd Round of King Books > Salem's Lot- Book 2

Comments Showing 1-50 of 234 (234 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Angie, Constant Reader (new) - rated it 5 stars

Angie | 2568 comments Mod
Hello everyone. Continuing with our chronological reading of King's books. This month we read Salem's Lot. Please mark all spoilers for those reading along. Have fun!

Nancy (paper_addict) | 921 comments Somehow my daughter lost my paperback that I bought in the very late ‘70’s or possible very early ‘80’s.

So I had to buy a new copy. I’m looking forward to a long overdue re-read.

message 3: by Tyler (new) - added it

Tyler Amos | 7 comments I read this one a few months back and was sorely unimpressed but I can’t put my finger on why exactly. I’m looking forward to giving it a second go with the group and see everyone’s opinions!

Femmy | 195 comments I rummaged through my bookshelf and couldn't find my copy, so I finally bought a Kindle edition yesterday. It turns out that it comes with two related short stories (yay!), as well as an introduction by SK and deleted scenes.

I plan to start reading the book in a couple of days.

Kandice | 4053 comments This has always been my very favorite King book. The next few slots change depending on other factors, but this will always be #1 for me.

Joan (joanofsnark) | 78 comments Although "Carrie" remains my most treasured SK read, it was "Salem's Lot", which I read over thirty years ago, that made the earliest literary impact on me and made me a Constant Reader.

message 7: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim | 3 comments Finished Carrie last night at midnight just in time ready to crack open Salem’s lot tonight super excited!

message 8: by Ben (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ben (cptshinypnts) | 43 comments I think it's been about 10 years since I read this...and the last time I did it was for this group! lol... Ready to do a re-read and get in and unpack this after a long-delayed second reading.

message 9: by Lin (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lin (gramatumaja) | 9 comments I read Salem's Lot a couple of years ago. Super creepy and chilling :) It will be great to read it again.

message 10: by Matt (new) - rated it 5 stars

Matt This might be my favorite book ever!

Whitney (MomsBooksandBaubles) (momsbooksandbaubles) | 2 comments I just started this one this morning. It's my first time reading this one, but I really enjoyed the letter to the readers from SK in my edition.

Kandice | 4053 comments Matt wrote: "This might be my favorite book ever!"

Kindred spirit! I think what means the most to me is that this was the first, and most successful, instance of a location becoming a character for me.

message 13: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg (popzeus) This will always be my favourite. Was my first King and has gotten better with each read over the years.

message 14: by Greg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greg (popzeus) Tempted to join in the read but am quite far along my own King chronological read-though.

message 15: by Chris (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:20PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Chris King | 152 comments Started today....after finishing Carrie.

Does anyone know what the N in Carrietta N. White stands for?

Marc-Antoine | 312 comments I don’t think it is ever revealed.

Jason Williams (tjasonwilliams) This was my second King book to ever read. I read it at 15 years old and it terrified me. I'm excited to read it again.

Chris King | 152 comments Marc-Antoine wrote: "I don’t think it is ever revealed."

Yeah ..i thought maybe Mr K had maybe mentioned it in an interview at some point.

Caroline (mrscazg) | 3 comments am listening to this on audio book 😎

message 20: by Mike (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mike (thwompthing) | 13 comments I thought this was rather boring the first time around. Maybe I'll have a better taste for it on my second read-through!

mrbooks | 1469 comments Salem's lot is and will always be one of Kings best books. Ok personal opinion but there you go we all have our opinions.

Femmy | 195 comments I'm starting the second chapter and we meet (view spoiler)

It's been 25+ years since I read it last and I've forgotten everything about it, other than it's about vampires and I loved it. So it's like I'm reading a new book and I know it's gonna be good!

Nancy (paper_addict) | 921 comments It’s probably been over 30 yrs since I have read it. So it will be like reading a new book for me too!

message 24: by Nicole (last edited Jan 03, 2018 04:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nicole Stanley | 32 comments Wow, interesting to see many people say it's their favorite King book as well as many saying they didn't care for it the first time they read it. First time read for me, so I am intrigued.

Also, didn't understand at first why 'Salem has an apostrophe in front of it and realized it's short for Jerusalem! Ha blonde moment perhaps?

I've been busy with other things, but hoping to start this real soon!

message 25: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Gunter | 120 comments Planning to start this one up once I finish the book I started upon the 1st. It's been a while since I've read it (couple of years maybe), but I remember liking it well enough the first go through.

Slayermel | 1 comments 'Salem's lot has got to be one of my favourite books!
Such a great read, and genuinely creepy :)

message 27: by Nick (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nick Iuppa | 4023 comments I'm going to dive into this fully after I finish my current read. Decided to get through that one first, then I can focus on 'Salem completely.

message 28: by Jody (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jody (jharcup) I’ll give this another go, I’ve only read this once but found it to be boring. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it better this time round

mrbooks | 1469 comments For me it is not about the quantity of books I read at one time, but the quality of the book I am reading. Jody if you don't like it you don't like it. Not everyone can like ever book Stephen King wrote. I have one I have started and never finished. Gerald's game is my bane.

message 30: by Femmy (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Femmy | 195 comments Who got chills when Ben tells Susan (view spoiler)

It's also interesting how SK can create a sense of foreboding just by (view spoiler)

(Both spoilers are from Chapter 2)

ElleEm | 260 comments Ben wrote: "Jody wrote: "I’ll give this another go, I’ve only read this once but found it to be boring. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it better this time round"

You should maybe listen to the audiobook this time aroun..."

I'm glad you passed on your experience with the audiobook, Ben. I think that I will listen to it this time.

message 32: by Leah (new) - rated it 3 stars

Leah | 24 comments I'm not usually into listening to audio books but I really like the idea of listening to 'Salem's Lot. I think that would be one of the few books that might be better that way. I have been listening to a lot of LeVar Burton reads and I can see how the suspense would be heightened with a good narrators voice.

message 33: by Stefanie (new)

Stefanie MagMag (goodreadscomstefaniemagmag) I have had this book in a set for yeeears and is one of the few SK I have yet to read. Really looking forward to it!
And the 'Salem meaning the shortened version of Jerusalem is freaking brilliant and changes the whole pronunciation of it. MIND. BLOWN.

message 34: by Summer (new)

Summer (paradisecity) | 360 comments This is a a re-read for me and not one of my favorites. Perhaps because I had exposure to much scarier vampires before I read this, it’s always been more unintentionally humorous than scary to me. I’m listening to the audiobook on this one and I don’t think that helps, since the narrator on this one isn’t as good as King’s usuals. I’ll keep trucking along with y’all, though!

mrbooks | 1469 comments Summer if you don't like the book you don't like the book that's all there is to it, not to worry not everyone can like everything.

Aidcrem | 2 comments This is my second favourite King book. I must have read this 10 times already and am happy for an excuse to read it again!

message 37: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Gunter | 120 comments I'm about halfway done now, and I'd forgotten how much I like this one.

Femmy | 195 comments It's been a while since a book set my heart pounding. Some of the scenes are so full of tension! I love it. The scenes I'm talking about:

* When two movers (view spoiler)

* When the gravedigger (view spoiler)

* When Ben was about to (view spoiler)

message 39: by Femmy (last edited Jan 07, 2018 06:21PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Femmy | 195 comments And may I say, I love Mark Petrie! Just read the part where he (view spoiler).

This is actually the one scene I remember from the whole book after all these years, the observation that (view spoiler).

message 40: by Todd (last edited Jan 08, 2018 09:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Todd | 7 comments Femmy wrote: "It's been a while since a book set my heart pounding. Some of the scenes are so full of tension! I love it. The scenes I'm talking about:

* When two movers [spoilers removed]

* When the gravedigg..."

Mark's my favorite character from the book. He brings this sure-footed mentality to everything he does throughout the story, and what makes it all the more impressive is he's just a kid. We need more Marks in the world.

message 41: by Lynn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynn Conito | 9 comments I have not read this one yet. I'm very pleased to read so many positive reviews in this thread. I'll have to give this one a go when I'm done with my current book.

mrbooks | 1469 comments Lynn this is an excellent book, classic Stephen King it is one book 99 percent of his fans love. that is about as close to perfect as you can get on this site LOL.

Jen_Ken a.k.a....Jenny from the block | 725 comments Well said Mr. Brooks... Salem’s Lot should Stand the course of time and will be held as one of SK’s classics or I’ll say Classic King... not to be confused with the Crimson King...

Femmy | 195 comments I've finished reading. What a great read. I have a couple of questions, though.

* Why did Ben and Mark (view spoiler)

* Father Callahan: (view spoiler)

message 45: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Gunter | 120 comments Femmy wrote: "I've finished reading. What a great read. I have a couple of questions, though.

* Why did Ben and Mark [spoilers removed]

* Father Callahan: [spoilers removed]"

As for the first question (view spoiler)

As for Callahan. (view spoiler)

Staci Johnson | 102 comments Hi everyone
I’m only a quarter the way thru but this is my second read of the Lot, I use that term freely even though I’m not a resident.
Looking forward to comments.

Staci Johnson | 102 comments Femmy wrote: "Who got chills when Ben tells Susan [spoilers removed]

It's also interesting how SK can create a sense of foreboding just by [spoilers removed]

(Both spoilers are from Chapter 2)"

Yes to the chills. King does the terror thing so well. I’ve heard a few similar stories like the one Ben told Susan; my brother is a mortician and a bit of a storyteller. He loves to share his experiences of picking up and transporting bodies and he’s explicit so I’m normally not easily shaken, but here, reading Kings words, I’m feelin the chills.

Femmy | 195 comments @Tim: about Callahan. (view spoiler)

Staci Johnson | 102 comments Sorry if I’ve replied to a comment with spoilers removed. I deleted my last post so as not to ‘spoil’ anything. So how exactly do I reply to a comment with spoilers; need help

message 50: by Tim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tim Gunter | 120 comments Femmy wrote: "@Tim: about Callahan. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Staci wrote: "Sorry if I’ve replied to a comment with spoilers removed. I deleted my last post so as not to ‘spoil’ anything. So how exactly do I reply to a comment with spoilers; need help"

If you reply to a comment with spoilers, anything said inside of the spoiler tag by that person is automatically removed, so you don't have to worry about that part. But in your own reply, all you need to do it put < spoiler > at the start of your spoiler and then < /spoiler > at the end, omitting the spaces between. If you're unsure the first time you try it, just hit the preview button next to the post button to check and see that it was done correctly.

« previous 1 3 4 5