Read Scotland 2018 discussion

Robert Burns: 6-10 Books > Julie’s Scottish Reading

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Thank you, Ellen! Here we go!

message 2: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
Well done Julie :) Good luck with your reading challenge!

message 3: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Thanks! One of my reads - the one I am most excited about, is From the Land Comes the Cloth by Ian Lawson - a photographer who is also a wonderful writer, who combined his skills putting together the colors, atmosphere and character of the landscapes and people and colors of the Outer Hebrides with close-ups, colors and textures of their Trademark Harris Tweed. - my Christmas present!

message 4: by Ellen (new)

Sounds a wonderful book! From what I’ve seen the Outer Hebrides are gorgeously beautiful - they’re on my bucket list. Enjoy your book Julie :) Let us know your thoughts on it when you’ve finished...

message 5: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Julie wrote: "Thanks! One of my reads - the one I am most excited about, is From the Land Comes the Cloth by Ian Lawson - a photographer who is also a wonderful writer, who combined his skills putting together t..."

That sounds amazing and needs to go on my wishlist

message 6: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments I know it isn’t for this reading list per se - but I just have to mention what I am watching. My daughter bought me the HBO/BBC series on dvd of The Ladies No. 1 Detective Agency. (Written by a Scot). It is outstanding! They could not have done a better job capturing the books. Beautifully acted and written. I want to watch the whole thing straight through but my eyelids are shutting on me!

message 7: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments just finished The Witch's Tree by M. C. Beaton. the newest Agatha Raisin. a bit more crass than usual, here and there, which is my least favorite part of the series. But it always manages to catch me up and I needed that kind of book right now. i'm one behind on my Scotland Street Series, so that will be next.

message 8: by Ellen (new)

No worries, it’s only January, you’re not behind at all! I’ve never read an Agatha Raisin but hear they’re funny.

I also didn’t realise the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency was on TV - might read the books first though there are loads of them!

message 9: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments My second book just finished is Anna and her Daughters by D E Stevenson. Have read almost all her books multiple times but this one not as many as I like it less than many others of hers. Am almost done listening to her Shoulder the Sky. -an Audible book. This is the last of a three book series, and this series is one of my favorites so have reread many times.

message 10: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Finished my 3rd book. Shoulder the Sky by D. E. Stevenson. An old friend revisited.

message 11: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Finished book 4 - The Bertie Project by McCall Smith. Loved it as always. There was the wonderfully dry and droll humor throughout, which is my favorite part of his writing. On to the next, as I won one of the advance copies of his next Scotland Street book!

message 12: by Ellen (new)

Julie wrote: "Finished book 4 - The Bertie Project by McCall Smith. Loved it as always. There was the wonderfully dry and droll humor throughout, which is my favorite part of his writing. On to the next, as I wo..."

I was just looking at his Scotland Street book, looks fun! Didn't realise it was a series - congrats on winning one!

message 13: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments It is kind of exciting knowing it won’t be published til February and I have this ‘proof’ copy in my hand! : )

message 14: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Finished book 5 - The Black House by Peter May.

message 15: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Finished book 5 - The Black House by Peter May

message 16: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Finished book 6 - ‘A Time of Love and Tartan’ by McCall Smith. Delightful, with some surprising outcomes that make me very anxious to read the next book in the series as soon as it comes out!

message 17: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Book 7 - Under Gemini by Pilcher. Not a Scottish author but takes place near Skye. I like all Pilcher’s books, but particularly like those that take place in Scotland.

message 18: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments Book 8 - Ann Cleeves, Raven Black. Read this after having watched (and bought) all the Shetland series on tv. I remembered the series a bit too much. I look forward to trying one of her mysteries that I haven’t already seen on tv. Love her Vera series too, so may try to find one of those books to read that hasn’t been covered by the tv series yet, if there is one?

message 19: by Tarissa (new)

Tarissa (inthebookcase) | 52 comments Julie wrote: "Book 8 - Ann Cleeves, Raven Black. Read this after having watched (and bought) all the Shetland series on tv. I remembered the series a bit too much. I look forward to trying one of her mysteries t..."

I might just have to try that book too.

You've been reading some fun Scottish books this year, Julie. :)

message 20: by Julie (new)

Julie | 24 comments The book i’m reading right now is, ‘Mountain, Moor and Loch’ by anonymous. I was watching a show about Rannoch Moor on Prime Video, and the host read passages from it as they showed gorge poi’s scenery. It tells all about the West Highland Railway. I am really enjoying it.