The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Important Items > February 2018 Group Read Nominations - N & O Authors

Comments Showing 1-50 of 81 (81 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Happy New Years Mystery, Crime and Thriller Group Members!! Best wishes for this exciting new year of 2018. I hope those of you participating in the January Group Reads are enjoying your books. This is the thread for nominations for the February Group reads. The theme is Mystery writers whose last name starts with the letters N or O.

I checked back on our bookshelf for the past few years' group reads and only two books turned up -
1. Jo Nesbo - The Redbreast
2. Nele Neuhaus - Snow White Must Die

So those are the only books you can't nominate. Of course before you start nominating please be aware of our normal rules for Group Reads.

1. do NOT nominate your own book
2. do NOT have your publicist nominate your book
3. if you nominate the winning book, you are the moderator for the discussion. If you don't want to lead the discussion, don't nominate a book.

So there you go. I'm looking forward to seeing what is nominated.

message 2: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 06, 2018 12:32PM) (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Book Nominations

1. The Pharmacist by Ingrid Noll (nominated by Gisela)
2. Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser (nominated by Bill)
3. The Bat by Jo Nesbø (nominated by Carolyn)
4. Motion to Suppress by Perri O'Shaughnessy (nominated by Bonnie
5. Cut Like Wound by Anita Nair (nominated by Nancy)
6. The Chosen by Kristina Ohlsson (nominated by Carol)

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I will have to give this some thought, Bill; Names beginning with N and/or O don't come to mind.

message 4: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Howe about The Pharmacist

message 5: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments How about The Pharmacist. There is an English version on Amazon.

message 6: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
I'll nominate one...

Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser

message 7: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Are we allowed to nominate a different Jo Nesbøbook? I haven't read any of his books so I'd like to start with The Bat as it's the first in the Harry Hole series.

message 8: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Bill wrote: "I'll nominate one...

Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser Mind's Eye by Håkan Nesser"

That looks good!

message 9: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie I found one- the first in a series that sounds good anyway. Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1) by Perri O'Shaughnessy by Perri O'Shaughnessy but it's not a single author. It's 2 sisters.

message 10: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8610 comments Mod
I'm going to nominate A Cut-Like Wound, by Anita Nair. She's an author from India, and it might be an interesting change of pace.

message 11: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

If people have to start digging through the back of your heads to squeeze out an N or O authors, there's a long list of them at stopyourekillingme

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com

Save that link for future reference!

message 12: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Carolyn wrote: "Are we allowed to nominate a different Jo Nesbøbook? I haven't read any of his books so I'd like to start with The Bat as it's the first in the Harry Hole series."

Sure, I'll add your Nesbo book. Thanks.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "If people have to start digging through the back of your heads to squeeze out an N or O authors, there's a long list of them at stopyourekillingme

http://www.stopyourekillingme.com

Save that link..."

Thanks, Nancy!!!!

message 14: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate A Cut-Like Wound, by Anita Nair. She's an author from India, and it might be an interesting change of pace."

That does look like another good one Nancy!

message 15: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Carolyn wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I'm going to nominate A Cut-Like Wound, by Anita Nair. She's an author from India, and it might be an interesting change of pace."

That does look like another good on..."

It's just been sitting on my shelf for a while so I thought "why not!"

message 16: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
I'll keep this nomination thread open over the weekend and then set up the poll.

message 17: by Carol (last edited Jan 05, 2018 03:23PM) (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13317 comments I nominate The Chosen by Kristina Ohlsson.

*Note: this is book 5. For purists, Book 1 is Unwanted. I nominated The Chosen because all reviews I've seen from friends have been strong and it appears to be the best one to select for a first read, IMO.

message 18: by Sally (new)

Sally (saldragski) | 31 comments Don't know if you would categorize this as crime, but how about The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien?

message 19: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Sally wrote: "Don't know if you would categorize this as crime, but how about The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien?"

That book actually made me cry.

message 20: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Sally wrote: "Don't know if you would categorize this as crime, but how about The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien?"

As you say, Sally, it's not listed as mystery or crime so I don't think I can add it for this challenge. Thanks for nominating it though.

message 21: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments Nancy wrote: "Sally wrote: "Don't know if you would categorize this as crime, but how about The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien?"

That book actually made me cry."

I have that in my plan to read soon for my around the world challenge. Been looking forward to it for a long time but *have* to read in country order, I didn't think it was a book that fit in this group from its synopsis, but always good to get a recommendation, Nancy.

message 22: by Bill, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 08, 2018 09:30AM) (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
A small list but I think excellent looking. I'll set the poll up today...

message 23: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Okie Dokey, the poll is up. It should be at the top of the poll page or you can just try this link...

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

As per normal, please vote for a book only if you plan to take part in the group read, should that book win. Thanks very much!

message 24: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Bill, I'm not going to vote this month.

message 25: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Skye wrote: "Bill, I'm not going to vote this month."

OK, Skye. The choices don't always appeal. Better luck next month.

message 26: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Yes, yes!

message 27: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) The Sympathizer
by Viet Thanh Nguyen (Goodreads Author)
4.0 · Rating details · 34,938 Ratings · 4,588 Reviews
The winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, as well as five other awards The Sympathizer

I'm new to the board so if someone else wants to nominate it, that's fine with me.

Is P next month? Louise Penny is my new favorite mystery writer. I love the Armande Gamache series.

message 28: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Oh, it looks like I'm too late anyway.

message 29: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Sorry NancyJ. Not sure what next month will be. Nancy runs the alternate book group polls and she has her own categories. 'P' will be in April.

message 30: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments NancyJ wrote: "The Sympathizer
The winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, as well as five other awards [book:..."

I am reading the first one in the series.

message 31: by Gisela (new)

Gisela Hafezparast | 367 comments Skye wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Sympathizer
The winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, as well as five othe..."

I enjoyed the Sympathizer very much, especially because it is not a black and white book if you know what I mean. One of the most complicated characters if read about in a long while. Recommend it to anyone.

message 32: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I just put it on my TBR list; his last name is the same as my daughter-in-law's before she married my son.

message 34: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "I'll nominate A Lady in the Smoke: A Victorian Mystery by Karen Odden."

Sorry, Susanna we're on to voting now. Nominations were closed Monday.

message 35: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Gisela wrote: "Skye wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Sympathizer
The winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, as well..."

Thanks. I like complex characters. I don't know any person (or group, party or country) that is all good/right or all bad/wrong.

message 36: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Skye wrote: "NancyJ wrote: "The Sympathizer
The winner of the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction, as well as five othe..."

I didn't know it was a series. Good to know.

message 37: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "Okie Dokey, the poll is up. It should be at the top of the poll page or you can just try this link...

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1...

As..."

All of you who are voting for The Pharmacist should be aware that a used Amazon copy starts at like $100 something. You might want to start looking for library copies like right now.

message 38: by Carol (new)

Carol (carolfromnc) | 13317 comments Nancy wrote: "Bill wrote: "Okie Dokey, the poll is up. It should be at the top of the poll page or you can just try this link...

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/1......"

Wow.

message 39: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I also posted a comment in the comments area of the poll, but the votes continue to roll in.

message 41: by Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (last edited Jan 11, 2018 04:51PM) (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 551 comments Holy cow. Used paperback editions are *starting* at $823 on Amazon! (Used hardcovers are "only" $143, a real bargain in comparison.)

message 42: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Holy cow. Used paperback editions are *starting* at $823 on Amazon! (Used hardcovers are "only" $143, a real bargain in comparison.)"

:)

message 43: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
Think carefully if you vote for The Pharmacist. I didn't realize it was so hard to get a copy.

message 44: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

It's in second place on the poll. Oy.

message 45: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
So, what's the plan, Stan?

message 46: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5421 comments Mod
I could send out a broadcast message asking those that voted for it to indicate if they have a copy of the book???

message 47: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill wrote: "I could send out a broadcast message asking those that voted for it to indicate if they have a copy of the book???"

I would send a message saying exactly what's going on. I know a lot of people get their books from the library, but chances are that there won't be a large number of copies floating around so they might wish to change their vote.

message 48: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso | 38 comments If I were fluent in German, I could get a paperback for $2.71. I saw another title that had some reasonably priced copies. But I would suggest holding off on Noll until books are more readily available.

message 49: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

More votes were added since I went to bed last night. But nice message, Bill!!

message 50: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 252 comments I didn't vote for the Pharmasist but I've found several copies aparently available on Bookfinder at a few pounds (mostly from Abe Books) https://www.bookfinder.com/book/00064...

« previous 1