Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Mome_Rath - Globetrotter 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 128 (128 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Oy -- I hope I know what I'm getting into. I just barely missed globetrotter in 2017, but I think it should be feasible if I plan for it this year. As an extra challenge in 2018, I'll be attempting to read graphic novels from at least ten different countries and mysteries from at least ten different countries. I'll also be listing bonus books here in this thread that won't count (and will be marked as such) but are from my reading throughout the year.

message 2: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 01, 2018 11:04AM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 1. United States; Region: North America

Trickster Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection by Matt Dembicki Trickster: Native American Tales, A Graphic Collection by Matt Dembicki

Not a bad way to start off the year, with a collection of Native American folktales by different artists describing why the coyote howls and how the rabbit lost its tail. Includes foolish turkey dancing, an alligator on fire, and gratuitous crayfish feasting.

**Graphic Novel, Country 1**

message 3: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 01, 2018 03:15PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: Antarctica; Region: Antarctica

Shackleton Antarctic Odyssey by Nick Bertozzi Shackleton: Antarctic Odyssey by Nick Bertozzi

It's cold outside, so why not read about Antarctica? (Peanut gallery: because I'd be warmer there today?) Anyway, Shackleton is an admirable leader, and while this doesn't have the emotional heft of other books, it delivers the high points of the adventure well.

**Graphic Novel, Country/Region 2**

message 4: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 2. Syria; Region: Middle East (Asia)

The Arab of the Future 2 A Childhood in the Middle East, 1984-1985 A Graphic Memoir by Riad Sattouf The Arab of the Future 2: A Childhood in the Middle East, 1984-1985: A Graphic Memoir by Riad Sattouf

When last we left our intrepid hero, his father had just surprised the family in France with a return move to Syria. Surely his father will make better decisions in this volume? He will not. But such are the seeds for an amusing, yet sometimes disturbing, memoir.

**Graphic Novel, Country 3**

message 5: by Ruth (last edited Jan 02, 2018 08:17AM) (new)

Ruth | 422 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "2. Syria; Region: Middle East (Asia)

The Arab of the Future 2 A Childhood in the Middle East, 1984-1985 A Graphic Memoir by Riad Sattouf [book:The Arab of the Future 2: A Childhood in the M..."
Wow, you've got off to a flying start. This looks interesting, I'll lookout for part 1. Good travels in 2018

message 6: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments I like the idea of the graphic novels.

message 7: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Ruth wrote: "This looks interesting, I'll lookout for part 1."

Thanks! Volume 1 was just as fascinating; I hope you can find it. Volume 3 was just translated into English last year, so I will be looking for it to continue the story. Happy travels through reading this year!

message 8: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Diane wrote: "I like the idea of the graphic novels."

There are a surprising number out there, so I figured it would be a fun challenge to find some new ones from around the world this year. Hope you find great books this year!

message 9: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:50PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: Algeria; Region: Africa

The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar The Rabbi's Cat by Joann Sfar

Lord, save me from ever encountering a talking cat, especially one steeped in Talmudic traditions and discourse like the rabbi's cat! Such insistence in winning arguments, and such ego -- I shudder to think what would happen if he met Bulgakov's Behemoth.

**Graphic Novel, Country 4**

message 10: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 05, 2018 09:47PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 3. Pakistan; Region: Asia

The House Of Fear by Ibn-e-Safi The House Of Fear by Ibn-e-Safi

Two mysteries translated in one volume: this is a fine introduction to a popular Pakistani detective series featuring Ali Imran, who would just as soon quote ghazals or play a buffoon while quietly solving mysteries presented to him. Fairly entertaining.

**Mystery, Country 1**

message 11: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 4. Brazil; Region: Latin America

Daytripper by Fábio Moon Daytripper by Fábio Moon

An ode to life, more than an elegy for lost dreams, this graphic novel follows multiple days in the life of an epitaph writer aptly named after Brazil's most famous fictional voice from the grave. The drawings are magnificent, and the stories well-told.

**Graphic Novel, Country 5**

message 12: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 06, 2018 09:57PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 5. Canada; Region: North America

A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7) by Louise Penny A Trick of the Light by Louise Penny

Louise Penny continues her excellent studies into human relationships, delving again into themes of recovery and forgiveness in the latest murder to hit Three Pines. All familiar characters are present, but moving forward into an uncertain fate.

**Mystery, Country 2**

message 13: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments You don't need to keep your graphic novels separate from your mystery country in your count. You can repeat countries from other challenges.

message 14: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 07, 2018 11:26AM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Ah, I see where it gets confusing - those counts at the bottom are my own counts for my mini-challenges which I referenced in the first entry; these will likely be finished within a couple of months.
The Globetrotter count is the number at the top of each entry, since not every book here will count for the Globetrotter, either because it is a repeat country or because the author doesn't count for the country. At this point I have been to five countries from four regions for the Globetrotter. Does that make sense?

message 15: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 6. France; Region: Europe

Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) by René Goscinny Asterix the Gaul by René Goscinny

This is probably the most famous French comic worldwide, and it remains just as humorous today. The Romans make a safe villain for a post-war Europe that was likely not ready yet to ridicule Nazis, and Asterix makes for an engaging Gallic hero.

**Graphic Novel, Country 6**

message 16: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 07, 2018 09:26PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 7. Australia; Region: Oceania

Cocaine Blues (Phryne Fisher, #1) by Kerry Greenwood Cocaine Blues by Kerry Greenwood

It appears a Victorian city will be turning into Thoroughly Modern Melbourne now that Miss Fisher has arrived in the 1920's. She may be a bit libertine, but she is also caring, gutsy, and adventurous as she assumes the role of detective in her debut novel.

**Mystery, Country 3**

message 17: by Rowizyx (new)

Rowizyx | 423 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "6. France; Region: Europe

Asterix the Gaul (Asterix, #1) by René Goscinny Asterix the Gaul by René Goscinny

This is probably the most famous French comic worldwide, and it remain..."

Everybody should learn how to read Italian only to get Asterix in my language... it's even funnier than the original (Romans speak as actual Romans). SPQR, Senatus PopulusQue Romanus (The Roman Senate and People), a symbol of Roman power, becomes said by the Gaules

Sono
Pazzi
Questi
Romani

These Romans are crazy 😜

I just love Asterix ❤️

message 18: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "Ah, I see where it gets confusing - those counts at the bottom are my own counts for my mini-challenges which I referenced in the first entry; these will likely be finished within a couple of month..."

As a frequent flyer, you start with a clean slate each year. This is different from the circumnavigator which is ongoing. You can count it however you choose, I just didn't want you to miss out on any points.

message 19: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:57PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Diane wrote: "Mome_Rath wrote: "Ah, I see where it gets confusing - those counts at the bottom are my own counts for my mini-challenges which I referenced in the first entry; these will likely be finished within..."

Is the Globetrotter challenge still in play, though? That's the challenge I'm attempting this year, which would be books from 80 countries, written by an author from that country or who has lived in the country for one year. Not all of the international books I read this year will count for Globetrotter because some will be repeats for a country or others, like the books so far from Antarctica or Algeria, will be written by authors who haven't lived in the country/region for a year.
If I am able to do the Globetrotter path, I should be currently at 7 countries and 6 regions. If I need to be on the Frequent Flier path instead, then I would be at 9 countries and 7 regions. Let me know if I need to switch over to Frequent Flier if Globetrotter isn't available. Thanks for checking in!

message 20: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Rowizyx wrote: "Mome_Rath wrote: "6. France; Region: Europe

This is probably the most famous French comic worldw..."

That would be great to read Asterix in Italian or in the original French! Some Latin jokes make it into the English version, such as a quote from Ecclesiastes, but I can't tell which jokes have been translated and which ones haven't (such as when the Romans don't use Latin to say the Gauls came, saw, and conquered). I imagine there may be language-specific in-jokes for each translation. I guess I'll just have to learn Italian (or French) now!

message 21: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 08, 2018 02:16PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: Canada; Region: North America

This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki This One Summer by Mariko Tamaki

This was a pleasant book of nostalgia, reminiscent of The Summer Book, but in the teenage years. Adult themes are seeping in to the lives of two childhood friends at a lake retreat, but they fight to retain their innocence and not grow up too fast.

**Graphic Novel, Country 7**

message 22: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 08, 2018 04:15PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: Canada; Region: North America

Paul Up North by Michel Rabagliati Paul Up North by Michel Rabagliati

I probably shouldn't have read two Canadian coming-of-age graphic novels in a row; this one paled in comparison, and didn't make me want to read more. Interesting insight into Québécois culture in the 1970's, but not much more for me.

message 23: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "Diane wrote: "Mome_Rath wrote: "Ah, I see where it gets confusing - those counts at the bottom are my own counts for my mini-challenges which I referenced in the first entry; these will likely be f..."

You can do either one, or both, if you choose.

message 24: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments OK -- I'll stick with Globetrotter, which puts me at 7 countries and 6 regions at this point. Thanks!

message 25: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: Uganda; Region: Africa

War Brothers The Graphic Novel by Sharon E. McKay War Brothers: The Graphic Novel by Sharon E. McKay

Wow, this was tough to read. I have been to Gulu and heard from many Acholi who feel the government of Uganda did not do enough in the days when the Lord's Resistance Army was strong and capturing child soldiers in northern Uganda. I spent a week with a university student who, when younger, had been fortunate enough to escape when his village was attacked. This book is a work of fiction, but based on true stories of child soldiers, and it captures the utter senselessness that has destroyed so many childhoods. The story does end with the hope that some ex-child soldiers have been able to find. This is the most compelling book I've read this year.

**Graphic Novel, Country 8**

message 26: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Hunt (reason2believehim) | 243 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "BONUS: Uganda; Region: Africa

War Brothers The Graphic Novel by Sharon E. McKay War Brothers: The Graphic Novel by Sharon E. McKay

Wow, this was tough to read. ..."

Sounds like a good read.
I've heard a lot about this topic in the news, but it's a subject I would like to read about as well. If you hear of a good nonfictional account let me know. I'd love to add it to my journey when I reach that region.

message 27: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments Girl Soldier: A Story of Hope for Northern Uganda's Children is a good non-fiction account for Uganda. Another non-fiction account from Sierra Leone in west Africa is A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier. Both give insights into the trauma inflicted on children who have had their childhoods stolen from them, as well as how international organizations are trying to help.

message 28: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 422 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "BONUS: Uganda; Region: Africa

Wow, this was tough to read. ..."
This looks really interesting, I'll try and get hold of a copy.

message 29: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments It was well told, though it may be the book had more of an impact for me since I'd been to northern Uganda.

message 30: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 8. India; Region: Asia

The Case of the Missing Servant (Vish Puri, #1) by Tarquin Hall The Case of the Missing Servant by Tarquin Hall

I'm not sure I'd enjoy being a detective in India with the amount of bureaucracy and paperwork one would have to deal with, but this book does a fine job of introducing a genial Indian detective and his network of spies. This was a fun read.

**Mystery, Country 4**

message 31: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 9. Iceland; Region: Europe

Independent People by Halldór Laxness Independent People by Halldór Laxness

I learned a lot about rural Icelandic life in the early 20th century, but I abhorred the protagonist, Bjartur, for his pigheadishness and disregard for the needs of his family, even when help was offered. Independence is no excuse for ignorance.

message 32: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 15, 2018 08:21AM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 10. South Korea; Region: Asia

The Color of Earth (Color Trilogy, #1) by Kim Dong Hwa The Color of Earth by Kim Dong Hwa

Lyrical, charming, and beautifully illustrated, this series is based upon a rural Korea familiar to the author's mother when she was a girl. The mother-daughter relationship and the daughter's journey through first love and adolescence are presented well.

**Graphic Novel, Country 9**

message 33: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 11. Micronesia; Region: Oceania

My Urohs by Emelihter Kihleng My Urohs by Emelihter Kihleng

This took me right back to my years in Hawaii, where many Micronesians have immigrated in hopes of a better life. The poems are heartfelt, and capture the simplicity of Pacific island life without downplaying the injustices.

message 34: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 12. South Africa; Region: Africa

Child of the River by Irma Joubert Child of the River by Irma Joubert

I'm always a fan of scrappy underdogs who thrive despite difficult childhoods and rise to success in life. This tale of a young girl who grows up as a sharecropper but becomes a lawyer taking on the wrongs of apartheid and bias in her society was inspiring.

message 35: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 13. Algeria; Region: Africa

Children of the New World by Assia Djebar Children of the New World by Assia Djebar

So many lives intersect in this non-linear tale centered on a single day of the Algerian war for independence, that I was glad for the table of characters at the beginning. Very well-crafted, with diverse viewpoints from women and men pulled into the conflict.

message 36: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 26, 2018 03:51PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 14. Ghana; Region: Africa

Children of the Street (Darko Dawson #2) by Kwei Quartey Children of the Street by Kwei Quartey

Inspector Dawson returns in a troubling case of a serial killer targeting street kids in Accra. This series provides insight into everyday life in Ghana, and this book further develops Dawson's wisdom and flaws. This is a series I'll continue.

**Mystery, Country 5**

message 37: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 15. Laos; Region: Asia

The Rat Catchers' Olympics (Dr. Siri Paiboun #12) by Colin Cotterill The Rat Catchers' Olympics by Colin Cotterill

What fun to visit the 1980 Summer Olympics as seen through the eyes of Dr. Siri and his compatriots as they accompany the underdog Lao team to their first Olympics in Moscow! Will there be murder, or can it be stopped in time?

**Mystery, Country 6**

message 38: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: India; Region: Asia

All Quiet in Vikaspuri by Sarnath Banerjee All Quiet in Vikaspuri by Sarnath Banerjee

This was a graphic novel full of great IDEAS that are never fully formed into a coherent, cohesive story. Sure, corporations can do much damage to small communities when pursuing short term profits; I wish this had been better presented.

**Graphic Novel, Country 10**

message 39: by Mome_Rath (last edited Jan 31, 2018 04:55AM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 16. Uruguay; Region: Latin America (South America)

The House of Paper by Carlos María Domínguez The House of Paper by Carlos María Domínguez

Definitely a book for bibliophiles, though I think it tries too hard at times, especially when it comes to cataloging. There isn't much plot to this novella in which a literature professor tries to find the collector who sent an inscribed book to his dead colleague.

message 40: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 17. England (United Kingdom); Region: Europe

The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse The Code of the Woosters by P.G. Wodehouse

What ho? Another madcap tale of broken engagements, self-inflicted quandaries, and mistaken identities in the English countryside? And a coveted cow creamer to boot? Good thing Jeeves is on the case to rescue Bertie from himself.

message 41: by Mome_Rath (last edited Feb 07, 2018 05:19PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: Brazil; Region: Latin America (South America)

The Silence of the Rain by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza The Silence of the Rain by Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Roza

Oh, Rio - you don't come off looking well in this mystery. Robberies, kidnapping, murders, carjacking, suicide, blackmail, fraud, corruption... At least Inspector Espinosa and his partner seem above the fray, solving an unconventional serie of crimes.

**Mystery, Country 7**

message 42: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 18. Israel; Region: Middle East (Asia)

Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan Exit Wounds by Rutu Modan

This was a perfectly average book, but I expected more. The plot could have taken place in many other countries; the only real reference to Israeli society seemed to be the background of suicide bombings. I enjoyed The Property more.

message 43: by Mome_Rath (last edited Feb 10, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments BONUS: Palestine; Region: Middle East (Asia)

Palestine by Joe Sacco Palestine by Joe Sacco

I'm of mixed feelings about this book; it captures individual stories well from the West Bank and the Gaza Strip in the early 90's, but I don't know how much has changed and what is the same now 25 years later. Unfortunately we don't seem any closer to peace.

message 44: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 19. Hungary; Region: Europe

Embers by Sándor Márai Embers by Sándor Márai

This book started out so promisingly, with a tale of young friendship in an Austrian-Hungarian military academy, and then it stalls out in a bombastic speech of recrimination and regret, after which not much is settled between estranged friends.

message 45: by Mome_Rath (last edited Feb 16, 2018 04:19PM) (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 20. Panama; Region: Latin America (North America)

Come Together, Fall Apart by Cristina Henriquez Come Together, Fall Apart by Cristina Henriquez

This collection of short stories and a novella tell disparate stories of every day Panamanian life. The titular novella was achingly beautiful, with a nostalgic look at a childhood forever changed during the US invasion of Panama in 1989.

message 46: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments 21. Saudi Arabia; Region: Middle East (Asia)

Wolves of the Crescent Moon by Yousef Al-Mohaimeed Wolves of the Crescent Moon by Yousef Al-Mohaimeed

This book is banned in Saudi Arabia, perhaps because it offends moralities and exposes the realities of life in the kingdom. Here there is slavetrading, injustice by the rich, illicit affairs, and thievery, all impacting the lives of three broken people.

message 47: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "21. Saudi Arabia; Region: Middle East (Asia)

Wolves of the Crescent Moon by Yousef Al-Mohaimeed Wolves of the Crescent Moon by Yousef Al-Mohaimeed

This book is banned ..."

I was just looking at this book the other day and contemplating it for my Saudi Arabia book this year. What did you think of it?

message 48: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments It's a quick read, and it didn't make me feel any more positive to Saudi society than before. To be fair, the book chronicles the hardships faced by those on the marginalia of Saudi society, so the wealthy aren't bound to look good. I appreciated the book, even if it wasn't particularly uplifting.

message 49: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane | 12845 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "It's a quick read, and it didn't make me feel any more positive to Saudi society than before. To be fair, the book chronicles the hardships faced by those on the marginalia of Saudi society, so the..."

Thanks. Sounds like something I would like.

message 50: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1319 comments And if it turns out to not be up your alley, at least it is a short book!

« previous 1 3