Ink and Paper Blog discussion

Around the World in 1000 Pages > #1 The Changeling - Victor LaValle : Spoiler Free

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Russell (new)

Russell | 166 comments Mod
Today is the start of the Around the World in 1000 Pages bookclub. Here you can talk about the book - but try to avoid spoilers.

message 2: by Mia (new)

Mia Cervantes | 4 comments Just got the book two days ago, can’t wait to start reading it later today :D

message 3: by Beth (new)

Beth | 3 comments Started readi g the book today. Could not put it down. Awesome choice Russell.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 2 comments Got a jump on the book during a cross-country flight and just finished it. Happy to start 2018 with a 5-star read! A complete page turner with stellar prose and great pacing. I loved the multilayered themes. Looking forward to the discussion.

message 5: by Amity (new)

Amity Miller (readbyamity) | 1 comments Got my copy in the mail last week! It's next on my TBR. Cannot wait to start reading 😍

message 6: by Bah Humpug (new)

Bah Humpug | 15 comments Got the kindle version when it was on sale a couple days ago for a couple dollars. Can't wait to start reading it!

message 7: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 6 comments So, finished the book I had started late in 2017, so now on to The Changeling! Looking forward to it.

message 8: by Mia (new)

Mia Cervantes | 4 comments This book is so addictive! Love the simplistic writing style, no excessive use of words. The characters are very distinctive and their personalities are well developed. I also enjoy the set up of the book with short chapters always ending in a need to know more kinda way. Really enjoying this read so far, I’m about 100 pages in.

message 9: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) Thank you for starting your book club on such a great book. I (without any spoilers) LOVED the way this fairy tale retelling, started after the"happy ever after" The "prince and princess" fall and love, get married, Then its suppose to go "they all lived happily ever after" But in this book that is where the story starts getting good! (I mean I liked the beginning he is an excellent writer, but,, the main plot gets so you can't put it down) Not in all ways, but in some, he reminds me of Stephen King. His Characters come alive to me,, when I am done with a book I feel like I could call them up on the phone and ask for an update of their lives. Also, he takes a "real life" world and makes the impossible happen. I mean, in the beginning the characters are people living lives anyone of us could be living, and then BAM! What! I love it! Thank you Russel, can't wait until next months read!
This is a link to an interview with the author (it is long about and hour) which I found pretty interesting https://youtu.be/GTXU8CgrQFc

message 10: by Nicole (new)

Nicole | 6 comments I’m so glad I joined this book club. This is a book I would have NEVER picked up in my own and that would have been a shame. It was such a great book. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was a slow to get going, but once it did, BAM, I was like WHAT!!!!

Shaun  (Lost in Books, Film, and Floss) | 2 comments Got the Kindle version. Going to get into it in a week or two. Really been wanting to read some Victor LaValle.

message 12: by Mia (new)

Mia Cervantes | 4 comments Just finished reading the book and I have to say it was an enjoyable ride for me. I liked the way the author built up his characters, I also enjoyed how seamlessly he mixed the magical with the reality of life. It was an interesting read for sure and I am glad to have read it.

message 13: by Shawn (new)

Shawn Mooney (Shawn The Book Maniac) | 1 comments On a whim, I previewed the audiobook, which is narrated by Lavalle himself. The audio narration is so fantastic that I am going to attempt to join the discussion without any printed text. I’ve listened to about 10 percent just now and am quite drawn into the story so far!

message 14: by peg (new)

peg Okay, if Shawn says so I am going to get the Audio now in prep for a LONG car trip! Thanks for starting this Russell.

message 15: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca (booksnchill) | 11 comments Shaun Mooney thanks for that rec- I can get it at the library and may try a bit of both audio and print to see how it goes!

message 16: by Russell (new)

Hello everyone! I am so glad to see that so many people are reading and liking the book. I just wanted to let you know that I placed the New York Times Review of the book over in the spoiler section of the club. It does have a few bits of info in it - but if you want to take a look the link is over there.

Russell

message 17: by Russell (new)

Sally wrote: "Thank you for starting your book club on such a great book. I (without any spoilers) LOVED the way this fairy tale retelling, started after the"happy ever after" The "prince and princess" fall and ..."

Thank you so much for this link!

message 18: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Leighton | 6 comments Just started the book today! Had no idea the main character was so bookish so that was an excellent surprise!

message 19: by Denaiir (new)

Denaiir | 5 comments Just started the book, I'm loving it so far! The writing style is clear, simple but enticing. The characters are well-developed and I can't wait to read more, especially since I have a feeling everything is going to take a very different turn soon!
Thank you Russell for picking this book, which I don't think I would have picked on my own

message 20: by Beth (new)

Beth | 3 comments Just finished the book. What a wonderful fairy tale. Thank you Russell for starting this club and look forward to many new adventures as we go around the world.

message 21: by Kamil (new)

Kamil | 3 comments Started the book last night, immediately after it arrived. I'm only 50 pages in and I'm already loving LaValle's prose.

message 22: by jocelyn (new)

jocelyn (yogiwithabook) I received this for Christmas so I was going to read it soon anyway, but being part of this group moved it up my tbr. I finished yesterday and really enjoyed it. There's something about a fabulist tale against an NYC backdrop that just works for me every time.

message 23: by Heidi (new)

Heidi Leighton | 6 comments Finished the book tonight! What a ride! Looking forward to your discussion video.

message 24: by Bah Humpug (new)

Bah Humpug | 15 comments Was up late finishing the book! Moving on to the spoiler discussion. See you all there soon!

message 25: by Deb (new)

Deb Finally starting this today!!!

message 26: by Myriam (new)

Myriam C. | 2 comments Is it weird that 60% through it, I still don’t know how I feel about this book? Without giving any details, I’m at the point where the plot just really shifted into the more fantasy/fairy tale part and although I expected it, I find it kind of destabilizing... I still reserve my judgement!

message 27: by Susannah (new)

Susannah | 24 comments I agree with you Miriam, I am not sure either. I think the plot is good, but I think the writing is not as good.

message 28: by Veronica (new)

Veronica  (vblanc) Myriam wrote: "Is it weird that 60% through it, I still don’t know how I feel about this book? Without giving any details, I’m at the point where the plot just really shifted into the more fantasy/fairy tale part..."

I am there too Myriam...im like hmmmmm ok that took a turn...lets see...how this plays out hahaha