Shelfari 50 Book Challenge discussion

SouthWestZippy-2018-Goal 60

Comments Showing 1-50 of 61 (61 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Mar 29, 2018 07:01PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments Goal 60

message 2: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 1. Ladies of the Field Early Women Archaeologists and Their Search for Adventure by Amanda Adams
2 stars
A brief summary of Seven female archaeologists who were determined to make their own way in life by searching and finding adventure. You can see some of the research done but the overall felt blah. It lacked depth and that the fact it was a brief look at each woman, it did not give enough attention to each one of them. Also the fact that we needed to be aware of what was expected of a woman in their time as well what they wore and about other protocols over and over became annoying.
I had never heard of several of these women before I read the book so that helps keep it a solid two stars.

message 3: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 2. The Autistic Brain Thinking Across the Spectrum by Temple Grandin
3 stars
A highly initiative look into the Autistic Brain. I found the book to be insightful and thought-provoking but it is a dry read. The Visual-Processing Problems part of the book was fascinating due to the fact that I am Dyslectic. I found similarities to helping the Dyslectic to find a way to help themselves focus through colored lenses. I also like the fact that she leaves you with the understanding that each person should find their own way of dealing and helping themselves.
One of my favorite quotes and taken from the back of the book. "In dealing with autism, I'm certainly not saying we should lose sight of the need to work on deficits, But the focus on deficits is so intense and so automatic that people lose sight of the strengths."

message 4: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 3. The Martian by Andy Weir
5 stars
A dust storm hits Mars and the crew is forced to evacuate, Mark Watney is left for dead because they are unable to locate him plus his suit shows no life signs, only he is not dead. Now he is stranded and has no way to signal Earth. You are reading his Log entries showing his very human responses to being alone and dealing with his routines to keep himself alive. I enjoyed his dry humor and his willingness to try anything to keep himself alive and busy. This book is intense at times and draws into to Mark's fight for life and shows you that every life matters and the levels they will go to to get you back home safe.
1 like

message 5: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Jan 20, 2018 06:45PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 4. Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro
1 star
Set in a dystopian world in which human clones are created so that they can donate their organs.
I could not get into nor could I relate to the overall picture of what I just read. I found it to be an overwhelming Storyline and the reading was dull at the same time. I made myself finish the book, wish I would have just stopped and moved on. Not my cup of tea type of book.

message 6: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Jan 20, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 5. Why I Jumped My True Story of Postpartum Depression, Dramatic Rescue & Return to Hope by Tina Zahn
5 stars
Taken from the books slipcover synopsis. " On July 19, 2004, an amazing story, accompanied by incredible video footage, broke across network and cable news programs." Tina Zahn is the focus of the incredible video footage as well as the officers who saved her when she jumped off the bridge that day. The book is her story of what happened to get her to the point of jumping.
This book is heartbreaking on so many levels. Tina's clueless Mother who has never been and never will be a Mother is not the only problem but one of many. I do like how Tina finally opens her mind and eyes to see and feel she needs to let go of the toxic people in her life on her terms.
I highly recommend this book.

message 7: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Jan 20, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 6. The Green Mile by Stephen King
5 stars
I am going to skip writing a synopsis about this book since there are tons already out there and I just can't write anything better.
I had an idea what that book was about because I have seen the movie when it came out. It still did not prepare me for what I read. WOW, Stephen King can draw you in and paint a picture both ugly and beautiful. My emotions were all over the place but the ending of the book had me shed a few tears.

message 8: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 7. An Echo Through the Snow by Andrea Thalasinos
3 stars
Taken from the book. "Rosalie MacKenzie is headed nowhere until she sees Smokey, a Siberian husky suffering from neglect. Rosalie finds the courage to rescue the dog, and―united by the bond of love that forms between them―they save each other."
I just could not get into parts of the book and struggled to keep up with back and forth stories. I wish the characters were a little more developed and the stories fused together more cohesively. I did enjoy the overall storyline, it is complex, yet simple.

message 9: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 8. The Angel in My Pocket A Story of Love, Loss, and Life After Death by Sukey Forbes
3 stars
Taken from the back of the book. " After the death of her six-year-old daughter, Charlotte, Sukey Forbes struggles to come to terms with her loss as she chafes against the emotional reserves and strict self-reliance that are part of her blue-blooded New England heritage. "
I could not relate to much of the book. It has loads of family history, it used to show how she dealt with the loss of her daughter by looking at the family's past. You can feel the emotion of the dealing with the death of her six-year-old, coming to terms with her death and moving on. I could also feel the frustration with the Doctors on trying to find out what she had and after her death on showing what she had. Such a sad, raw story. Writing is so-so and it does drag on here and there but overall a book worth reading.

message 10: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 9. Message in a Bottle by Nicholas Sparks
2 stars
A bottle with a message is found on the shoreline by Teresa when she opens it up and reads the message she becomes determined to find who wrote the powerful undying love letter.
A well written yet simple storyline. I found it to be predictable and dragged at times. I still like the interaction of the characters and hunt for the mystery man. Not my normal type of book to read but I did find myself enjoying the read.

message 11: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 10. Laura Ingalls Wilder A Writer's Life by Pamela Smith Hill
2 stars

I had no idea of what type of book this was before I started it. If I would have known I would have skipped it all together. It does have some new information, connects the dots on events and fills in the blanks on people. What I did not like is the speculation on many of the events in Laura Ingalls Wilder's and Rose Wilder's books and real life. Only Laura and Rose truly knew why they wrote what they wrote and left out what they did. Writing is dry and matter of fact lacks flow.

message 12: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 11. 'Tis A Memoir (Frank McCourt, #2) by Frank McCourt
3 stars
This book picks up where Angela's Ashes left off. It was a fascinating yet slow read. The story just did not fly off the pages for me, I found myself waiting for him to move on and connect the dots of the picture faster. Still worth reading and enjoyed a peek into another person life story.

message 13: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 12. Cabin Pressure One Man's Desperate Attempt to Recapture His Youth as a Camp Counselor by Josh Wolk
2 stars
I just could not get into this book. I don't know if it because I could not relate since I have never been to any type of summer camp, or I just did not get the humor. I also found him to be annoying so that did not help get into his stories. I would not recommend the book but many others who have read it liked it.

13. Same Kind of Different as Me A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall
1 star
Did not draw me into the story and left me struggling with what was going on. It was disjointed and lacked real emotional encounters. I just did not like the book even a little bit and I wanted to. The premise of the book sounded so fascinating, it just fell short, highly disappointed.

message 14: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 14. Best Friends The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary by Samantha Glen
3 stars
The book walks you through many of the startup heartaches, dealing with people who discard animals like trash when they no longer want or need them and money issues. If you can handle animal abuse stories you might want to stay clear of this book, there is not many of them but enough to show you the need for such a place. Good book overall but does get into unnecessary details. The unnecessary details are in the friends' stories who started the Animal Sanctuary and dealing with people. I wanted more animal stories but again good book overall.

message 15: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 15. In Search of the Missing Working with Search and Rescue Dogs by Mick McCarthy
2 stars
Good but not great book. It is more about the people who work with the dogs then it about the dogs. It is like reading snippets of the dogs training, work life, and long draw out stories about the people. I did find parts very interesting but I just wanted more. Lots of short stories about rescues and the things that went right and wrong but not put together very well, plus some stories did not have closure.

message 16: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 16. So That Happened My Unexpected Life in Hollywood by Jon Cryer
3 stars
I enjoyed the peek into Jon Cryer's life. No over the top name dropping or bashing. Cryer gives you a look into the behind scenes on the movies and TV shows he was in, he talked a little bit about growing up plus his up and downs in his personal life. Pretty and Pink was my first Movie to watch Jon Cryer bring to life a wonderful Character, loved him as Duckie.

message 17: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 17. We Pointed Them North Recollections of a Cowpuncher by E.C. "Teddy Blue" Abbott
1 star
Not all Cowboys lived this way. If you want to read a book about a self-centred, no morals, shot at the hip with a temper, disregard for life(human or animal) then this is a book for you. Yes, life was hard for Cowboys but why make it worse for yourself with stupid choices? I don't feel sorry for people who do things that make them have to look over their shoulder or run most of their life for the things they have done. Hope I never come across a book like this one again, I will not make myself finish it like I did this one.

message 18: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 18. Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes
3 stars
Taken from the back of the book. "Charlie Gordon is about to embark upon an unprecedented journey. Born with an unusually low IQ, he has been chosen as the perfect subject for an experimental surgery that researchers hope will increase his intelligence--a procedure that has already been highly successful when tested on a lab mouse named Algernon."
I had a hard time getting into it at first but hung in there and it picked up. I found most of it emotionally tasking but the ending just sent me over the edge. I read this for a challenge and would not have picked to read otherwise. I am glad I read it but not one I would read again.

message 19: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 19. Luck Be a Chicken by Jameson Gregg
2 stars
Not my normal type of book. I could not get into about 80% of the book, the 20% I did was about the power of people who pull through life by living it as best you can and doing what you know how to do.
I don't think it is humorous as it is lead to believe plus skip it if you can't stand books that are not politically correct. I did come across I quote I liked and may start using. " This Lunchroom is a privilege, not a right. It Will be closed if not kept Clean!"

message 20: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 20. The World of Pooh The Complete Winnie-The-Pooh and The House At Pooh Corner (1957) by A.A. Milne
5 stars
What a nice, light, fun stories to read. I knew of but did not grow up with Pooh and his friends nor did my kids but my Grandson is. I have read a couple of these stories from other books before reading this book. I love the adventure, the imagination and wit. I can relate to both Tigger and Eeyore, they fit both of my personalities. The Illustrations are wonderful and add depth to the stories. Highly recommend.

message 21: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 21. A Dog's Way Home A Novel by W. Bruce Cameron
5 stars and added to my favorites
What a roller coaster of emotions this book sent me through. I was not sure if I was going to be able to make it past the first couple chapters, it was just so sad but I hung in there and after awhile, I did not want to put it down. Could have read it in one sitting but had to get some sleep.
Told from the perspective of the lead character, Bella the dog, she finds herself trying to find herself back to home. She was labeled a Pit Bull which is forbidden in the town where she was found. Ugly humans forced to go to a foster home and leave her loved humans behind, it is hundreds of miles away. This is where the story runs away with you and has you on the edge of your seat.
Well done W. Bruce Cameron, well done.

message 22: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 22. Texas Blood Seven Generations Among the Outlaws, Ranchers, Indians, Missionaries, Soldiers, and Smugglers of the Borderlands by Roger D. Hodge
2 stars
Roger D. Hodge tries to walk you through his adventure on figuring out his family history by retracing their steps while visiting places they lived, worked etc... plus he gives you a peek into his childhood and memories. The over-the-top details just kill the stories for me. I did find much of it fascinating just wish he would have stuck to his families history and not try and write a full history lesson with each area he visited. The pictures sprinkled throughout the book were fun to look at, nice touch.

message 23: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 23. The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore
2 stars
William Moulton Marston was a Harvard graduate, a feminist and a psychologist who invented the lie detector test. He was also a huckster, a polyamorous, a serial liar and a bondage enthusiast. You would think that would keep you interested and flying through the pages but it fell short.
I am exhausted after reading this ridiculously detailed history book. I wanted to like this book and parts I did but overall it was just dry and boring. However, I did learn a few things so I am giving it two stars.

message 24: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Apr 26, 2018 06:47PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 24. The Apache Wars The Hunt for Geronimo, the Apache Kid, and the Captive Boy Who Started the Longest War in American History by Paul Andrew Hutton
5 stars
4/20/18
I have read this book but not ready to write a full review. I am going to reread parts and do a little research first. I will say this, it is not a quick read nor is it a pleasant one, very raw and eye-opening.
4/26/18
I wish I could say that most of this book is shocking but sad to say it is not. The Apache Wars is a page-turner that paints a raw, hard to swallow history of the Apache Wars. I was not able to do as much research as I would have liked to, for now, I will do more later. I wanted to read more from the references that he drew his information from. I found Paul Andrew Hutton work to be easy to follow and you can tell the care he took into his research and weaving the story together. I highly recommend this book.

message 25: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 25. My Funny Dad, Harry by Karen Arlettaz Zemek
3 stars
A quick read with lots of emotion. Karen Arlettaz Zemek walks you through her life. First, living with, then caring for her Father as she deals with him getting older. He has a spunky personality and loves to keep everything. I was able to relate to a few things and I did find myself laughing here and there. It also has some very sad moments. Well rounded storytelling.

message 26: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 26. The Road to Burnout by Armando Almase
3 stars
Taken from the back of the book. "In 2002, Armando Almase began working for a private ambulance company in Las Vegas, Nevada. As some claimed, the average job burnout for an ambulance attendant in Las Vegas was five years. Armando pushed his way through six, providing medical treatment and transportation to over 12,000 men, women, and children."
The first part of the book is about his road to becoming an EMS worker. The second part is about his days being an EMS worker. Some of the stories are heartbreaking and other will turn your stomach.
I did enjoy his humor but still could not give it more than three stars. I felt the storytelling was a bit choppy, could have been a smoother read. I would recommend this book to anyone in the health profession.

message 27: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 27. Waiter to the Rich and Shameless Confessions of a Five-Star Beverly Hills Server by Paul Hartford
1 star
I stopped reading on page 83. He is arrogant, self-centered, Celebrity name dropper and a basher. If his confession is to show the world he is not a writer on top of not being a rock star, then, well done. Now the cussing does not bug me, I have read worse but if you can't handle the cussing, skip this book, he has a couple words he likes, a lot.

message 28: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 28. The Year We Disappeared A Father-Daughter Memoir by Cylin Busby
1 star
Taken from the synopsis on the inside of the book jacket cover. "When Cylin Busby was nine years old, she loved Izod shirts, the Muppets, and her pet box turtle. Then, in the space of a night, everything changed. Her police officer father, John, was driving to his midnight shift when someone pulled up and leveled a shotgun at his window."
I did not like the layout of the book for starters. Each chapter is the voice of John or Cylin, this made it hard to follow what was going on. The book lacked closure, had a lot of loose ends which left me with many unanswered questions.
The subject is fascinating and haunting, just wish the book could have been more cohesive.

message 29: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 29. Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders
1 star
It started off different and was drawing me in the poof, I got lost in the haunted/glass house that has random pop-up walls filled with quotes. The story was hard to follow and had little character development. This is one of those books you either get it or you don't, I didn't.

message 30: by SouthWestZippy (last edited May 30, 2018 05:23PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 30. Dying in Indian Country A Family Journey from Self-Destruction to Opposing Tribal Sovereignty by Beth Ward
1 star
Going to keep this short. What they ware are not "costumes". He was a married man. I stopped reading on page 53 and skimmed the rest of the book. I could care less about what else the woman has to say.

message 31: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 31. Exposed Confessions of a Wedding Photographer A Memoir by Claire Lewis
4 stars
Claire Lewis is a wedding photographer and she takes you behind the scenes of her job. I liked her humor, wish there was more of it. One story was heartbreaking, it was near the beginning of the book and I almost did not want to read anymore but I keep going, happy I did. Overall a good but it is slow at times.
It could be a quick read if you need it to be.

message 32: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 32. Search Dogs and Me One Man and His Life-Saving Dogs by Neil Powell
4 stars
A fascinating look into the life and training of rescue dogs and the humans leading the way. Some of the stories are horrific, some sad and others have a little humor, a good mixture overall. I learned a lot about handlers and their relationship with the dogs, if you don't trust your dog, there is a reason, the dog is not cut out for the job. I have read other books on the subject but this by far is the best well-rounded book. I highly recommend it to animals loves and anyone wanting to read books about life-saving heroes.

message 33: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 33. The Last Watchman of Old Cairo by Michael David Lukas
1 star
Wow, that was a lot to take in and think about. I must admit, I got lost in the details in a couple of spots and had a had time connecting the dots in the storyline.
I had to reread the end and I still don't see it. Overall the book is just too much for me to comprehend.
I really wanted to like the book but don't.

message 34: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 34. Beyond the Killing Tree A Journey of Discovery by Stephen Reynolds
2 stars
Stephen Reynolds was a game warden in the Gila Wilderness of New Mexico and the Kenai Fjords, Brooks Rande and Yukon Delta of Alaska. Here is a quote from the cover of the book that explains the premise of this Nonfiction book. "His is the heritage of a boy raised as a hunter, drawn to the excitement of the kill, but whose experiences transform him into an outspoken protector." Stephen Reynolds is not an over the top get in your face conservationist but does try to get his point across on why we need to start to care about the earth.

message 35: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 35. The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fist Fight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie
4 stars
Collection of short stories set on the Spokane Indian reservation. Not an easy read due to the subject, it is a very raw look at life on a reservation. Does have a few light-hearted moments. I like Sherman Alexie's writing style, he is able to pull you into the picture and feel the moments with ease.

message 36: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 36. Thunder Dog The True Story of a Blind Man, His Guide Dog, and the Triumph of Trust at Ground Zero by Michael Hingson
2 stars
If you are going to make the title about the dog then the book should be mostly about the Dog. It is an ok book about Michael Hingson but I was wanting and expecting more about his relationship with his guide Dog Roselle. The other turn off is he does come across arrogant at times. It is still an inspirational book about a dog and it's human who would not give up.

message 37: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 37. The Talker Stories by Mary Sojourner
2 stars
Collection of short stories. Stories are a mixture of drama, struggles with life choices and spiritual journeys. Nothing pulled me in nor will they stay with me, ok read.

message 38: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 38. The Code Book The Science of Secrecy from Ancient Egypt to Quantum Cryptography by Simon Singh
5 stars
This is one of those books you need to take your time with and let it roll around in your brain. I enjoyed reading about the history and importance of Quantum Cryptography.
If you are into history then I recommend this book, if you are numbers or code type person, I highly recommend this book.

message 39: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 39. The Mustangs by J. Frank Dobie
2 stars
A collection of short stories of the history and human relationships with the Mustang. I had a very hard time getting into this book which is a shame, it had so much potential. It lack depth in some stories and just did not draw me into others, it was just lacking something throughout the whole book. Some of the stories are hard to stomach and shows that animals abusers have been around for a long time and other stories do show the love and respect the Mustang deserves.

message 40: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 40. The Boys in the Boat Nine Americans and Their Epic Quest for Gold at the 1936 Berlin Olympics by Daniel James Brown
5 stars
A story of determination and perseverance. It is about a rowing team that is filled with working class boys that are the sons of loggers, shipyard workers and farmers, that took on the elite college teams and then went on to the 1936 Olympics. Joe Rantz's story does take up much of the book but it is a must read to fully get the whole picture of background of where this history making event comes from. Great history book with lots of fascinating facts and pictures. In the back of the book is a Timeline of Events, this is a nice touch. Also in the back is The Art of Rowing, I found that to be interesting to look over.

message 41: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 41. Moonlight on Linoleum A Daughter's Memoir by Terry Helwig
4 stars
Coming of age story about a girl and her Sisters dealing with Adults who don't want to be Adults. The Adults put their needs first and the kids are dragged along moving from place to place because the Adults are not happy or running from something. Very depressing story with a few humor moments. I don't think the Adults story is complete and it will never be, the story comes from child's eyes and heart. I was left with so many questions that will never know the answer.

message 42: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 42. Side Jobs Stories from the Dresden Files (The Dresden Files, #12.5) by Jim Butcher
1 star
I truly enjoyed the series. I would have happy with just reading the series and walking away from those short stories. I did not like were he went on a couple of the stories and others were just ok. One last note, humor was lacking, that was makes Dresden, Dresden without it he just another jerk with powers.

message 43: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 43. The Big Tiny A Built-It-Myself Memoir by Dee Williams
3 stars
I was not sure what to expect from this book but was a little disappointed with it. Dee Williams starts off with her life before she jumped in and built herself a Tiny House which is about half the book. Then she gives a peek into the build and how she must adjust to her new way of life. Not a whole lot of detail on the house building so if you are looking for that type of book you might want to skip this book, it is mostly a Memoir. Not a smooth read but fascinating story.

message 44: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 44. Exploring the Unexplained by Time-Life Books
3 stars
Interesting book about the unexplained mysteries around the world. It is mostly a state the facts book with very little investigating. The copyright is 2006 so it is dated on a few of the stories, facts do to new findings have been changed the stories. I still recommend it to a younger group to spark the imagination.

message 45: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 45. Legendary Route 66 A Journey Through Time Along America's Mother Road by Michael Karl Witzel
5 stars
Fun book, filled with tons of pictures. Lots of history, interesting facts and shows the building of, the destruction of the rebuilding of the areas the road runs through.

message 46: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 46. Land of Enchantment by Leigh Stein
1 star
I wanted to read this book because I was born, raised and still live in New Mexico. I stopped reading on page 32. What little I did read was a waste of time. I can't stand books that start with the ending and from there it keep adding more reasons not to like the book.

message 47: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 47. Life of the Party The Remarkable Story of How Brownie Wise Built, and Lost, a Tupperware Party Empire by Bob Kealing
3 stars
Interesting story about two strong-willed people who liked each other but did not always got along or agreed with each others way of doing business. It is a dry straight forward book that reminds me of reading a history book with a good balance of research to show both sides of the story. A few pictures were tossed in here and there but I would have liked more pictures.

message 48: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 48. Gunn's Golden Rules Life's Little Lessons for Making It Work by Tim Gunn
5 stars
I enjoyed this book so much I did not even mind the jumping around. He is genuine and I like his humor. I am just not into fashion, always been a person to ware what I want no matter what is in but I am a fan of his. He just always has been a very honest person to me and after reading this book, I am a huge fan. I don't agree with a few of his views but I can relate and understand so much of his thinking.

message 49: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 49. Big Top Burning The True Story of an Arsonist, a Missing Girl, and The Greatest Show On Earth by Laura A. Woollett
5 stars
Taken form the inside cover sleeve. "On July 6 1944, thousands of fans made their way to the Barbour Street in Harford, Connecticut, to see the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus performance." A fire breaks out and 167 lose their lives. This book walks you through the disaster and the many theories on the cause of the fire and the true identity of a little girl who died in the fire. I found it to be well written and researched. A few pictures scattered throughout the book give you a look at the circus tent, before and after the fire, and a look at some of the people involved with the tragedy. Not overly detail and I recommend to older children, young adults and adults.

message 50: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy | 387 comments 50. Educated by Tara Westover
5 stars
** spoiler alert ** Well that was one interesting book. Tara Westover was raised by a survivalists Father and a midwife, healer Mother. Isolated from mainstream society and being a fundamentalist Mormon family, Tara was exposed to a very dysfunctional life. At times she comes across as her being naïve and unable to fight for herself but if you look beyond that thought, you can see the struggle to separate herself from her family and belief system that has been imbedded into her since birth. I found her story to be remarkable that she was able to grow strong enough to walk away and become the woman she is today.

« previous 1