2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Louisa's 100 book challenge

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K I have started a thread before, but forgot about it around March. This time will be different. I will keep you guys updated whenever I finish a book.I am determined to get to 100.

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Louisa & a very happy reading/New Year!!

Looking forward to your updates!!

message 3: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Susy wrote: "Wishing you the best of luck with your goal Louisa & a very happy reading/New Year!!

Looking forward to your updates!!"

Cheers.

message 4: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book 1- The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle

“Truly, the world hath as many eyes to look upon a man withal as there are spots on a toad; so, with what pair of eyes thou regardest me lieth entirely with thine own self. My name is Robin Hood." – Howard Pyle

I started the year by finishing the Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle, and it was a thoroughly merry read. We join the classic vigilante Robin Hood as he takes money from the wealthy and is simply a nuisance to those in power while gallivanting around Sherwood Forest. It turned out to be a fun
light read.

Even though I knew about Robin Hood prior to the book, I didn’t expect him to be so sweet. He’s not the traditional macho-man, and genuinely cares about his people. He seems to love a good laugh and prefers to be sly when stealing instead of threatening. It makes sense as his goal is to steal to the rich and give to the poor, but he didn’t seem too aggressive over it. He even robs some people while giving them a feast. That is cruel kindness, and makes me love him.

This act rubs off on other characters. My favourite scene has to be when Little John pretends to be a friar and robs two friars. It is just amazing. There are a few other scenes like it throughout the book. They’re not as spectacular, but are still enjoyable. However, the fact that most characters adapt to these tricks does lead to a bit of monotony. If you don’t like charm and trickery while thieving, you probably shouldn’t read the book. That’s all you get.

This may sound odd, but a lot of the story reminded me of Pokémon. For a while in the beginning, the chapters focused on Robin meeting someone and then they end up joining the merry men. There was hardly any drama behind it and often included a friendly ‘battle’. Whenever Robin or Little John met the Sheriff of Nottingham in a simple disguise, I kept thinking of Team Rocket. This chilled storyline takes away any drama, leaving a fun light-hearted adventure.

The conversational tone used adds to the delight. Pyle’s style makes it read like a fairy tale while also talking to the reader directly. This can get annoying at times as he repeats the same phrase about how we will find out what happens next, but it can also work in some areas. The way he finished the book demonstrates it as he practically bids us farewell. It builds a bond between us.

My main issue stems from the fact that it was originally a serial. There really isn’t any overarching conflict; just a lot of adventures. It’s fine as that’s what I expect, but there’s nothing pulling me in or making me feel anything other than pleasant enjoyment. It’s also why Pyle kept telling us what was going to happen in the next chapter. Maybe it would have worked back when they were originally published, but the new formatting made it less desirable. Nothing felt threatening, and I was expecting a little more of an adventure. This is mainly why I didn’t score it anything higher.

As a side note, it didn’t include Maid Marian. This was very disappointing.

Read this book if you want a fun story about nuisances who are still fighting for the good of men. I’m rating it 6.8/10.

message 5: by Asiuol (last edited Jan 06, 2018 05:12AM) (new)

Asiuol K Book 2 - Gotham City: Sirens - Strange Fruit by Peter Calloway, Tony Bedard and Andres Guinaldo.

I absolutely love the Sirens, especially Harley Quinn. When I saw Gotham City: Sirens – Strange Fruits by Tony Berdard and Peter Calloway, I absolutely had to read it. The women’s friendship consistently passes the Bechdel test and they all offer something different. They work together to combat an alien scout, abduction and mind manipulation. It is a wonderful story about friendship with strong characters.

The three storylines revolve around a man, so I’m rather conflicted about it. It has an important discussion on how women can support each other during and after toxic relationships. All of it builds up to Harley’s desire to get revenge on the Clown Prince of Crime. I have read another Siren comic that didn’t include any romantic entanglements, so I wasn’t that annoyed. However, it would have been nice for them to go through a conflict without romance being brought up. I still enjoyed the story as it demonstrates the importance of women being there for each other.

Even though the illustrations were nothing especially creative, they were clean and colourful. My personal favourite is the nature scenery. It is just bright and draws me in. I would also like to praise the comic for having only one frame where the breasts were drawn questionably. I would love it if there were more differences in how they are drawn though. Overall, the illustrators, Andres Guinaldo and Jeremy Haun, had done their job and presented fairly engaging artwork.

I would love to see where the Sirens go. If they perfect the balance between kick-ass adventure and romance, it will really be a spectacular series. I’m giving it 7.1/10.

message 6: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year.

message 7: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Blagica wrote: "Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year."

Thank you.

message 8: by Asiuol (last edited Jan 16, 2018 07:58PM) (new)

Asiuol K Book Three - Becoming Nancy by Terry Ronald

Terry Ronald’s novel Becoming Nancy is easy enough to understand. Apparent intelligent and unique Davie Starr is cast as Nancy in the school’s production of Oliver! and he discovers his sexuality with the help of handsome co-star Maxie. Maybe I have a high bar for coming of age stories, but I just viewed it as a dull superficial book.

Let me start off by saying the writing is bloody hilarious. I feel like it’s giving a middle finger to sophisticated elitist readers. The character might be pompous, but they way he is written is absolutely lower to middle class. I can see people, especially teenagers, talking this way. The style of writing is the main reason
I was able to get through it.

The plot itself is very boring. David deals with racists and homophobes while coming to terms with his sexuality and falling for the sexy man Maxie. My main issue is that if you take away his realisation of his sexuality, there isn’t a story. Some people might like this, but I just want more depth. Even the subplots feel like they’re only there to reinforce the terror of realising you’re gay, but Ronald really doesn’t care about any of it. It’s also demonstrated that the Ronald emphasises the issue by having a drag queen compare the tragic romance of David and Maxie to Anne Frank.

David exemplifies the self-obsessed lack of depth. His friends go through their own issues, but it’s glossed over so he can only think about how it impacts him. This is highlighted when he insults his fake-girlfriend, who doesn’t know it’s fake, says he’ll apologise later and the apology isn’t really included. It’s as if it doesn’t matter. Other characters are apparently going through issues, but none of this really matters to David. He has to have Maxie love him!

The minor characters and the plots are just highly superficial. Scenes are included for no reason but to say some people are bad and some people are good. Even though David’s lack of concern for others is brought up, there’s no development from it.

It’s an ok coming of age story that involves accepting your sexuality, but I’m sure there are better ones out there. The humorous writing is just enough to save it from being atrocious, but just barely.

4.7/10

Book Four - Born A Crime by Trevor Noah

I have known about Trevor Noah for years through his appearances on Comedy Festivals. I liked him. When he started hosting the daily show, I still liked him, but didn’t think too much about him. After reading his memoir Born A Crime, I absolutely love him. His comedic style blends beautifully with the political and deeply emotional sentiments throughout the story of him growing up under an apartheid South Africa as well as the aftermath of it.

Each of Trevor’s story is deeply personal, which leads to me respect him more. These range from his teenage loves to his mother getting shot in the head by his step-father. It doesn’t feel like he’s holding any of it back, but uses the right amount of humour in the right places so it didn’t feel depressing.

His political views are sprinkled throughout. Even though some of them may be controversial, I understand where he is coming from. It is important to note that he is talking about everything in a reflective note, and how it had impacted him as well as those he met. Everything has more of a weight to it, and isn’t so easy to brush off. An example would be with the dancing Hitler (read it if you want to find out more).

As interesting as Trevor Noah is, his mother is amazing. As a real person, I can’t comment too much on it, but she is a brave woman that anyone would be lucky to have as their mother. She is brave, kind, and hilarious. It’s no wonder Trevor grew up to be such a good person.

I loved this book. You learn so much about Trevor as well as the culture in South Africa, and has such an easy flow that you can read it quickly.
9.5/10.

Book Five - Groot by Jeff Loveness

message 9: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Six - Confessions: The Paris Mystery by James Patterson

message 10: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Seven - Doctor Who: Shining Darkness by Mark Michalowski

message 11: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Eight - The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint - Exupery

Book Nine - La Petite Mort by Eli Wilde

Book Ten - Great Quotes from Great Women by Peggy Anderson

Book Eleven - The Tempest by William Shakespeare

message 12: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Twelve - How to Be Danish: A Journey To The Cultural Heart Of Denmark by Patrick Kinsley

message 13: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Thirteen - American Gods by Neil Gaiman

Book Fourteen - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JK Rowling

message 14: by Susy (last edited Feb 01, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

Susy (susysstories) You're on a roll Louisa! Which one was your favourite read for January?

message 15: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!

message 16: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K I'm finally getting around to updating this.

Susy wrote: "You're on a roll Louisa! Which one was your favourite read for January?"

My favourite has to be Trevor Noah's Born a Crime. It was just so interesting.

Blagica wrote: "Hoping you had fun getting lost in some pages in your first month!"

I did. Thanks.

message 17: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Fifteen: Five Modern No Plays by Yukio Mishima

Book Sixteen: Plots & Structure by James Scott Belle

Book Seventeen: How to Act Like a Grownup by Mark Dupre

Book Eighteen: Penguins and Other Seabirds by Matt Sewell

Book Nineteen: The Marge Book by Matt Groening

Book Twenty: Queer - A Graphic History by Meg-John Barker

Book Twenty-one: The Everything Big Book of Jokes by Evan C. Thomas

Book Twenty-two: Spellweaver by Tamara Grantham

message 18: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Twenty-three: Mulan - Five Versions of Classic Chinese Legend, with Related Text by Shiamin Kwa and Wilt L. Idema

Book Twenty-four: Bossypants by Tina Fey

message 19: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Twenty-Five: Women in Science - 50 Fearless Pioneers Who Changed the World by Rachel Ignotofsky

Book Twenty-Six: The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett

message 20: by Asiuol (last edited Mar 02, 2018 11:49PM) (new)

Asiuol K Book Twenty-Seven: The Art of War by Sun Tzu

Book Twenty-Eight: The New Hunger by Isaac Marion

message 21: by Asiuol (last edited Mar 03, 2018 03:12AM) (new)

Asiuol K Book Twenty-Nine: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon.

I'm 13 books ahead of my schedule. This is great because it will allow me to focus on novels.

message 22: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments You are doing great! Hoping March is a smashing success for you.

message 23: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Blagica wrote: "You are doing great! Hoping March is a smashing success for you."

Thank you so much,

Book Thirty: Is Everybody Hanging Out Without Me? (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

Book Thirty-One: Saints: A Visual Guide by Edward Manin

message 24: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Thirty-Two: The Book of Kink - Sex Beyond he Missionary

message 25: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Thirty-Three: Please Explain by Dr Karl Zruszelnicki

message 26: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Thirty-Four: The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood.

message 27: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Thirty-Five: 1,234 Facts that will Leave you Speechless by John Lloyd.

Book Thirty-Six: The Cruel Prince by Holly Black.

message 28: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Thirty-Seven: 1,432 Facts to Bowl You Over by John Lloyd.

Book Thirty-Eight: Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

Book Thirty-Nine: Art 101 by Eric Grzymkowski

Book Forty: A Slice of Pi by Liz Strachan

Book Forty-One: The Godfather by Mario Puzo

message 29: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 30: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Blagica wrote: "A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?"

Aw. Thanks. My favourite probably has to be The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee.

Book Forty-two: Women of Our Time by Frederick S. Voss

Book Forty-three: The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace

Book Forty-Four: Jughead Vol. 1 by Chip Zdarsky

Book Forty-Five: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

Book Forty-Six: Avatar the Last Airbender - The Rift Part 1 by Gene Luen Yang

Book Forty-Seven: Five Little Pigs by Agatha Christie

Book Forty-Eight: Hope in a Ballet Shoe by Michaela DePrince

Book Forty-Nine: Homer's Odyssey by Four Fingers Discount

Book Fifty: World Mythology in Bite Sized Chunks by Mark Daniels

Book Fifty-One: The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

Book Fifty-Two: The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzie Lee

Book Fifty-Three: Can Holding in a Fart Kill You? by Andrew Thompson

Book Fifty-Four: Percy Jackson and the Titan's Curse by Rick Riordan

message 31: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments You are doing great! I hope May is a fantastic month filled with books and sunshine!

message 32: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Aw. Thank you.

I have a lot to add here.

Book Fifty-Five: The Exclamation Mark! and other short stories by Anton Chekov.

Book Fifty-Six: More Weird Things Customers Say in Bookshops by Jen Campbell

Book Fifty-Seven: Naruto Volume 1 by Masashi Kishimoto

Book Fifty-Eight: We Are Here: talking with Australia's oldest Holocaust survivors by Fiona Harari

Book Fifty-Nine: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by May Anne Shaffer

Book Sixty: Lagom: The Swedish Art of Balanced Living by Linnea Dunne

Book Sixty-one: How to Wear Jewelry: 55 Styles by Jinnie Lee

Book Sixty-Two: The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris

Book Sixty-Three: Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter by Adeline Yen Mah

Book Sixty-Four: The Case Against Satan by Ray Russell

Book Sixty-Five: A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

Book Sixty-Six: Chinese Cinderella The Mystery of the Song Dynasty Painting by Adeline Yen Mah

Book Sixty-Seven: Tell me About Science by Bounty

Book Sixty-Eight: Tales from African Dreamtime by Magdalene Sacranie

Book Sixty-Nine: Deadpool & The Mercs For Money #1 by Cullen Bunn

Book Seventy: Percy Jackson and the Battle of Labyrinth by Rick Riordan

Book Seventy-One: Storm by Tim Minchin

Book Seventy-Two: Black Panther - The World of Wakanda by Roxane Gay

Book Seventy-Three: Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat!, Volume 3: Careless Whiskers by Kate Leth

Book Seventy-Four: Pippi Longstocking by Astrid Lindgren

Book Seventy-Five: The Jewish Dog by Asher Kravitz

Book Seventy-Six: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

message 33: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Hoping July is full of page turning and falling in love with a new book!

message 34: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Blagica wrote: "Hoping July is full of page turning and falling in love with a new book!"

Thanks. I hope your July is going well too.

Book Seventy-Seven: Women and the War on Boko Haram by Hilary Matfess

Book Seventy-Eight: Percy Jackson and the Last Olympian by Rick Riordan

Book Seventy-Nine: Neil Patrick Harris: Choose Your Own Autobiography by Neil Patrick Harris

Book Eighty: The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame

Book Eighty-One: 100 Nasty Women of History by Hannah Jewell

Book Eighty-Two: Murder at the Vicarge by Agatha Christie

Book Eighty-Three: The Princess Diarist by Carrie Fisher

Book Eighty-Four: Walk-In by T.L Hart

Book Eighty-Five: Unsolved Crimes: Infamous Cases That Have Puzzled the Greatest Minds by Sarah Herman

Book Eighty-Six: Beyonce Running the World by Anna Pointer

Book Eighty-Seven: Calypso Summer by Jared Thomas

message 35: by Asiuol (new)

Asiuol K Book Eighty-Eight: Scottish Folk-Tales for Children by Judy Paterson

Book Eighty-Nine: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kesey

Book Ninety: I Used to Know That - English by Patrick Scrivenor

Book Ninety-One: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R Tolkien

Book Ninety-Two: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by J.K Rowling

Somehow I'm missing two books here.