2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Karen M- 50

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Karen (last edited Jan 01, 2018 10:28AM) (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments Ok I'm going to do it this year, I'm getting to 50!!!!
Fell way behind on my reading last year, not gonna lie, I was bingeing a lot on Netflix and it definitely took a toll on my reading.
Not this year!
I have a stack of books from the library to get through. Some of which are monthly group reads that I'm behind on.
A Man Called Ove
The Maze
Track of the Cat
The Kill Artist
Eyes of Prey
The Lady of the Rivers
Memory Man
Brave New World / Brave New World Revisited

This year I want to catch up/continue with some series that I've read, I also want to participate in as many monthly reads as possible. Around those I will continue using the Random Integer site to pick my books. I like the surprise!

message 2: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Karen wrote: "Ok I'm going to do it this year, I'm getting to 50!!!!
Fell way behind on my reading last year, not gonna lie, I was bingeing a lot on Netflix and it definitely took a toll on my reading. ..."

Ah yes, those tv series....I know what you mean....trying to kick off as well....

Wishing you the best of luck with your 50 books Karen & a very happy reading/New Year!!

message 3: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Wishing you the best of luck with your goal this year.

message 4: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments Man Called Ove was a wonderful read! I highly recommend it!

Just finished Eyes of Prey. I enjoy the Lucas Davenport series. He isn’t your typical “good guy” character which makes him really interesting.

Used a new toy(bookmark that tracks the time you are reading). Took me 6 hours and 9 minutes to read the book. So about 1.2 pages a minute.

Looking to track the time it takes me to read my books this year. Something different besides pages read and number of books read.

Next is The Maze by Catherine Coulter.

message 5: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The Maze by Catherine Coulter
Love the idea of the story but at times the plot seemed to jump without any background, almost like some pages were missing. However, I do like the characters and look forward to reading another book in this series.

Reading time: 370 pages- 5 hours and 59 minutes.

Next up, Track of the Cat by Nevada Barr

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments Track of the Cat- Nevada Barr
238 pages in
236 minutes

Next- Memory Man-David Baldacci

message 7: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Awesome progress Karen keep it up!

message 8: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments Memory Man by David Baldacci

What a great author!
Draws you in right from the first sentence, great characters, great storyline! Kept me thinking the whole book!

403 pages-371 minutes

Next up, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments Brave New World by Aldous Huxley.
216 pages 235 minutes.
This book took me a little to get into because of some of the terminology used, but I’m glad I finally got to read it. I’m curious as to how I would have reacted to this if I read it on high school. I would like to go back and read a Brave New World revisited where Huxley talks about subjects written about in the book seen in real life 30 years after he wrote the book. I read a little of it and it is scary how much carries over to today!

Next up is Game of Thrones book 5- A Dance with Dragons!!!!!!!

message 10: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments You are doing great. Hoping March is a great month for you.

message 11: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments A book is a dream that you hold in your hand. I hope that April brings you many more five star reads. Do you have a stand out book so far this year?

message 12: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments LOVED Game of Thrones 5!!
I could definitely tell how intense these books are to get through and understand. My reading speed was much slower than usual but, again, very understandable with this series!
Totally reading time: 22 hours 29 minutes

Next up The Lady is the Rivers by Philippe Gregory.

message 13: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Look at you go!

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments “Reading brings us unknown friends” While the warm weather is coming I hope you make some new friends in May! You are doing great keep it up!

message 15: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The Lady of the Rivers total reading time-7 hours 50 minutes.

I really enjoyed this book and LOVED Jacquetta so I’m going to continue with this series!

Up next The White Queen.

message 16: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments “I have always imagined paradise will be a kind of library.” I hope you find a corner in Paradise with some great books!!

message 17: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The White Queen- Total reading time: 6 hours 55 minutes

I also read The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo during this time. I am currently reading Spark Joy(looking forward to following her advice starting tomorrow!)

Up next The Red Queen.

message 18: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Awesome job so far do you have a book you would recommend this year?

message 19: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The Red Queen- 6 hours and 6 minutes. I’m getting my reading speed back!
Next up The Kingmaker’s Daughter.

message 20: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments Enjoy your next read!

message 21: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The Kingmaker’s Daughter- 6 hours 52 minutes.

Next up- The White Princess

message 22: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The White Princess- 8 hours 32 minutes.
I wish you could give half stars. I would give 4.5 instead of 4. The beginning and end are great the middle was a bit iffy.

Next up The Constant Princess.

message 23: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The Constant Princess- 7 hours 19 minutes.

Next up, The Kong’s Curse.

message 24: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The Kings Curse(silly autocorrect!)

message 25: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Lol 😂

message 26: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments The King’s Curse- 10 hours
I knew about a Henry VIII, but the details in this book were just horrific. I know it is historical fiction, but, it really makes you think how a leader can so easily get out of control if no one is there to fight back. Margaret Pole is my second favorite character in this whole series after Jacquetta.

Next-Three Sisters, Three Queens

message 27: by Karen (new)

Karen Mockoviak | 271 comments Fell into a rut :(. Read a lot of great books this year and then I just couldn’t get into anything. I tried three books on my to read list and couldn’t get past the first chapter which is very unlike me.
Needless to say I’ve changed my challenge for this year drastically from 50 to 18. I just really miss reading.
Soooo I picked up Ron Chernov’s Hamilton. I’m obsessed with the play and I’m really enjoying learning more about Hamilton! Hopefully this book will get me back on the right track.

message 28: by Scgirlz3 (new)

Scgirlz3 | 16 comments Good luck Karen! And great idea to read what makes you happy... that's what I do.

message 29: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Good luck Karen! Hope you’ve found the book that’ll help you get back on track!

message 30: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12028 comments You are on your way to having a great year in books! Do you have a book you still can't wait to read?