David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

General > 2018 Reading Goals

Comments Showing 1-50 of 67 (67 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Jenny (juliababyjen) | 12932 comments Mod
What are your reading goals for 2018? What did you set your Goodreads challenge at?

message 2: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I set my Goodreads challenge at 180. I read 176 in 2017! Considering my 2 month reading slump, that was pretty good!

My goals for 2018!

Read 20 Adult Fiction Books
Read 10 Nonfiction Books
Read 12 Classics
Read 100 books off of my shelves
Read 30 books off of my Kindle
Finish my OwlCrate TBR and read each new OwlCrate I get within a month of receiving it
Finished these 10 series:
1. The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel
2. Unwind by Neal Shusterman
3. House of Night by P.C. Cast
4. Matched trilogy by Ally Condie
5. Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz
6. The Pledge Trilogy by Kimberly Derting
7. Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
8. Bloodlines by Richelle Mead
9. The Firebird Trilogy by Claudia Gray
10. The Program Series by Suzanne Young

I made another book jar for the year, it has 63 books in it. I also made a classics jar that I will pull a book out once a month. It has 20 choices in it, but I won't read all those this year.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Great goals, Jenny!

message 4: by Janie (new)

Janie (sj_ellis11) My Goodreads goal is 52 books for the year (in 2017, I set the same goal and hit 73 books!).

I have lots of challenges for 2018.
*Read books from 20 different states and 3 different countries (not including the US)
*Finish 10 series
*Read 2 Movie or TV Adaptations
*Read and review 24 Netgalley books (my ratio is 62% right now - oops)
*Read 1 Owlcrate book a month - this is to encourage me to read what I'm getting to make it "worth it" to buy the box. I have 8 books to read from 7 Owlcrate boxes I received in 2017.
*Read 40 books that were published prior to 2018
*Complete 20 of the Popsugar Challenge prompts

message 5: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

WOW, great goals Sarah!

message 6: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Karen wrote: "Great goals, Jenny!"

Thanks Karen :)

message 7: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Bruno | 771 comments I set mine at 60 this year cause I came close to that this year.

message 8: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Bruno | 771 comments Oops I mean last year. Lol! Not used to that yet haha

message 9: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

LOL! Its taking me a bit for my brain to catch up too Catherine!

message 10: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) I don’t have any specific reading goals as far and type of books or specific books.

I always joing the GR challenge and set it at 85 books.

I also like to do the A-Z challenge in this group.

Last year and this year I joined a TBR challenge and set it at 40 books again. This challenge you read books already on your to-read shelf in the prior year or earlier. So no new books added to your shelf in 2018. That one was hard!

message 11: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I set my Goodreads reading challenge to 150 books this year. I read 183 books in 2017, but decided to only go with 150 in 2018 because I'd like to devote some of the time I've been using for reading to catching up on watching the stacks of movies and TV shows I want to get to.

I also plan to do the A-Z title reading challenge.

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

I set my goodreads goal to 160 since I did around that in 2017.
I want to read some biographies since I found some good ones last year. I got a Agatha Christie bio last year so want to read that.
Also want to read Anne frank.. Yepp I`m 25 and NEVER read Anne Frank.. Kind of embaressed.
Also want to reread some books.

message 13: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Victoria wrote: "I set my Goodreads reading challenge to 150 books this year. I read 183 books in 2017, but decided to only go with 150 in 2018 because I'd like to devote some of the time I've been using for readin..."

Ooo nice!

message 14: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Oda wrote: "I set my goodreads goal to 160 since I did around that in 2017.
I want to read some biographies since I found some good ones last year. I got a Agatha Christie bio last year so want to read that.
A..."

I've never read Anne Frank outside of school. And that was 25 years ago or so. So I should probably read Anne Frank too!

message 15: by James (last edited Jan 02, 2018 03:24PM) (new)

James (theadventurousbookreader) | 34 comments My main goal of the year is to read 20 books since I usually am close to this range with it comes to reading for the Goodreads challenge. Other than that, I'm going to focus on grabbing more books at the library or borrow books from friends that love reading.

message 16: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

James wrote: "My main goal of the year is to read 20 books since I usually am close to this range with it comes to reading for the Goodreads challenge. Other than that, I'm going to focus on grabbing more books ..."

Nice goals!

message 17: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Wow, AWESOME goals all! Given my decline in reading time, I'm shooting for forty-something. But I'm thankful for any books I get the chance to read!

message 18: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

David wrote: "Wow, AWESOME goals all! Given my decline in reading time, I'm shooting for forty-something. But I'm thankful for any books I get the chance to read!"

I hear you with the decline in reading time! Mine's not as bad as yours, but it has declined a lot the last 2 years! But WOOT! on any reading time, I agree :)

I set my goal at 150 again. That seems to be a good number for me and challenges me, especially at the end of the year!

Last year I had the goal of rereading the Game of Throne books and almost made it in 2017! I’m still on book 5, but 4 out of 5’s not bad! ;)

I’ll do the A-Z challenge again! Love that one!!

After hearing Jenny talk about her love for Gone With The Wind, I just bought the print and audio copies so that’s one book I plan on reading in 2018!

I’m also trying to work on knocking out some of my books that I’ve had for a while.

message 20: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments David wrote: "Wow, AWESOME goals all! Given my decline in reading time, I'm shooting for forty-something. But I'm thankful for any books I get the chance to read!"

I'm with you 100% on being grateful for whatever reading time you get!

message 21: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Karen wrote: "I set my goal at 150 again. That seems to be a good number for me and challenges me, especially at the end of the year!

Last year I had the goal of rereading the Game of Throne books and almost ma..."

I just caved and brought all five Game Of Thrones books on audio.

message 22: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Stoolfire | 2047 comments My Goodreads challenge is at 200, I'm also doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, and #BeatTheBacklist!

message 23: by Janie (new)

Janie (sj_ellis11) Lauren wrote: "My Goodreads challenge is at 200, I'm also doing Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge, and #BeatTheBacklist!"

I'm doing #beatthebacklist too :)

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura  (llbasaldua) | 15 comments My goal last year was 250 and I ended on 307 I think so my goal this year is 300! I am already on book 4

Victoria, I’m feeling stuck with A dance of Dragons. I think that I should get the audio and finish it that way. You’re brilliant for coming up with the idea! I didn’t get through it the first time either. But I did get a little further along this time around. 😛

Wow. Way to go Laura!!

message 27: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Karen wrote: "Victoria, I’m feeling stuck with A dance of Dragons. I think that I should get the audio and finish it that way. You’re brilliant for coming up with the idea! I didn’t get through it the first time..."

I can't say what they're like in audio yet, since I haven't listened to them yet. But I figured they'd be easier to get through in audio, and since I have an audible membership, the audiobooks only cost me a credit each, which makes them pretty cheap (especially for how many hours listening time they are).

message 28: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 240 comments I'm aiming for 150. I am going to try to write more reviews and read more ARCs.

message 29: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

WOW, Alyson, 150 would be impressive. So many prolific readers in this group. I am in awe.

message 30: by William Tyler (last edited Feb 16, 2018 12:03PM) (new)

William Tyler Davis (billytwrites) | 2 comments I’m at 5 of 30. I don’t find that Goodreads counts rereads very well, and I usually reread Harry Potter, LOTR, and The Silmarillion among some others.

And I plan on writing at least 4 books this year. 1 of those down. 3 more to go.

message 31: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Great goals, William! Yeah, the re-reads you just have to count in your head. but yes, they should count!

And great stuff with your writing goals, good luck and good start!

message 32: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

Goodreads has added the rereads feature! As long as you put the dates down, it should count :)

message 33: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

Oh wow, good to know, thanks Jenny!

message 34: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

You're welcome :)

message 35: by William Tyler (new)

William Tyler Davis (billytwrites) | 2 comments Thanks! I'll have to try that out. I'm on Two Towers right now :)

message 36: by Nancy (last edited Feb 20, 2018 07:17PM) (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) As long as you change a books status from “read” to “currently reading” and mark it finished (thus changing the status back to “read”) when you are done with your re-read, GR will automatically count the book. It even tells you how many times you have read a book.

If you added a book as read and never went through the process of currently reading etc, it just leaves the date blank and when you do a re-read like I outlined above, it will count the re-read as thread two times. The second read will have a date and the first read the date will be blank but you can add a date to it.

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

I updated my challange to 200 since its been going so good. Might upgrade it again. I read Anne Frank and others non fiction I planned to. Satisfied with the first 6 months of the year. Optimistic about the last 6 months.

message 38: by Janie (new)

Janie (sj_ellis11) *Read books from 20 different states and 3 different countries (not including the US): Finished this in July
*Finish 10 series - Currently finished 3 out of 10
*Read 2 Movie or TV Adaptations Finished in January
*Read and review 24 Netgalley books (my ratio is 62% right now - oops) - currently finished 18 out of 24
*Read 1 Owlcrate book a month - this is to encourage me to read what I'm getting to make it "worth it" to buy the box. I have 8 books to read from 7 Owlcrate boxes I received in 2017. - I have read 5 and still have 8 plus one I'm receiving today
*Read 40 books that were published prior to 2018 Finished this in July
*Complete 20 of the Popsugar Challenge prompts Finished in April

and I also hit my Goodreads goal of 52 books in July (I'm up to 54 now!) :)

message 39: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Great job, Oda!

Well done to you too, Sarah!

I just need one more letter to complete my A-Z challenge, and am 15 books behind schedule on my Goodreads reading goal. I wouldn't mind being behind on my Goodreads goal so much, but it's from real life issues, not because of catching up on watching the movies and TV shows I wanted to catch up on watching, which is a shame.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Yaay Sarah. Woot woot. And Victoria 15 books isent that much you will catch up by the end of the year.

message 41: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Oda Renate wrote: "Yaay Sarah. Woot woot. And Victoria 15 books isent that much you will catch up by the end of the year."

Yeah, I expect so.

message 42: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) I always do the Reading Challenge and the A-Z challenge and a TBR Challenge in another group. I like how Jenny broke out specific goals (like finishing series). I keep telling myself I need to go back and finish a few series but don’t hold myself to it.

message 43: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1550 comments My reading goal is 100 books

message 44: by Kati (new)

Kati (klearboredom) | 3 comments My goal is also 100 books but the counter is off. I know how many books I've read but it's behind by about 3

message 45: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments Kati wrote: "My goal is also 100 books but the counter is off. I know how many books I've read but it's behind by about 3"

It can sometimes take a day or so for the counter to catch up.

message 46: by Kati (new)

Kati (klearboredom) | 3 comments It's been about a month or so. I've read 27 books it says 23.

message 47: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (paper_addict) Kati wrote: "It's been about a month or so. I've read 27 books it says 23."

Check the “read dates” for the books and make sure they are appearing with a 2018 date.

message 48: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Zigler (toriz) | 4464 comments I had a better reading month in July, so managed to catch up a bit with my Goodreads reading goal.

message 49: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 1550 comments I finished my 100th book on August 24th

message 50: by Jenny, Always smiling! :-D (new)

I met my Goodreads goal: right now I'm at 192/180! I would love to make 200 this year. I have a read lots of novellas and shorter books, so I'm sure that helped. Although I have also read some monsters!

That's the only goal I've met. Some I'm close on, some I will never make. But, still happy with my reading this year!

« previous 1