Psychological Thrillers discussion

BOTM Past to Present > JANUARY 2018...BOTM.....KEEP QUIET By Lisa Scottoline

Comments Showing 1-50 of 75 (75 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by stephanie, MOD (new)

stephanie | 1333 comments Mod
Please purchase anywhere you can.......Happy New Years reading...MOD

message 2: by Jim (last edited Jan 01, 2018 02:26PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Have you ever done some little thing that woulda-coulda-shoulda turned into some great big HUGE deal? Like slipping something bright and shiny 👑💲📯🎺 into your pocket in the Dollar Store💵 and just happening to forget about it (OPPS!😨) until you were already outside in the parking lot. And you’re looking back to see if the store detective is rushing out to apprehend you. Holey smokems!🚔🚓 Better get outta heah . . . 🚀FAST! 😲

Then whaddaya gonna do? Huh? ‘Cause things are about to get a whole lot worse than you can possibly imagine. Well this month’s Goodreads Psychological Thrillers Book of the Month (BOTM)— KEEP QUIET by LISA SCOTTOLINE—is about something more serious than pinching some toy. 👀Get the book, get reading and find out. Then join👼 the BOTM discussion and tell us what you think. See ya there💋! www.botm.blackdogebooks.com

message 3: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Boy Jim, your rocking already...

message 4: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Oh, yeah! This was quite a read. Goes from bad to worse for everybody!😅HAHAHAHA!😈 This is the first Lisa Scottoline book I've read and I have to say that she really is pretty darn good, in my estimation! I will definitely be reading more of her work!!😨

message 5: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments Yayyy - just managed to get this book from my library! Sounds like it will be a great read too! Thanks for the suggestion Jim!!

message 6: by stephanie, MOD (new)

I am swinging back to read this one after I finish these 2 that are in my lap.

message 7: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments Steph - I will be doing the same - hv two I am reading presently! Just not enough hours in the day- grrrr! 😳

message 8: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Vickie, in Alaska, is this you?????? how many daylight do you have now?

message 9: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments Steph - no this is Vickie from MD/D.C. - LOL! And we r freezing here too!! 😫

message 10: by stephanie, MOD (new)

Haha,,,alot of Vickie's..yeah its going to be -8 tonight. I will be sleeping in a sweatsuit that keeps me warm. I rubbed my feet with Vick's, and have some nice warm socks on...

message 11: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments Definitely hv my flannels on and socks for bed!! Hate cold weather - burrrr! Sleep well Steph!

message 12: by stephanie, MOD (new)

You too Vickie from MD/DC...haha...gotta remember that one!!!

message 13: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Well the one good thing about this cold (and yes it is very cold here in Southern NJ too) is that I don't go out unless I absolutely have to and all I want to do is curl up and read. I have two other books I am reading at the same time as Keep Quiet and it is so good.

message 14: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments Really enjoyed the book. Boy did the ending catch me by surprise.
Karen I didn't go out of my house unless I had to (12/21 to today). Now I back at work (: so I have to go out in this weather. Could be worse we could be living in Erie, PA and they got 56" so far.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Socks in bed! Gadzooks! Listen, that's why we have dogs!😨 Had some big wet snow in Montana followed by dome yuge wind. That means big trees coming down all over the place, along with power lines. Saw one tree cracked in half over the roof of a house. Fortunately the roof held up. Another went down clear across this guy's driveway and front lawn. If it had been a different tree it would have flattened the house lengthwise. I will be posting a picture on the BOTM site after I finish my coffee.😎

message 16: by Jaclyn (new)

Jaclyn  Snyder | 12 comments i love lisa's books, i have been reading her for years...can't wait to finish my current read and start hers...socks in bed and a dog too... i thought everyone does that, it's normal here in pittsburgh.

message 17: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments Jim my dog sleeps on the bed every night. I know it's cold when I wake up in the middle of the night and she's smack up against me and doesn't move.

The book has your resident dog and it's a golden to boot.

message 18: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Chris wrote: "The book has your resident dog and it's a gold..."

Woo-Hooo!

message 19: by Chris (last edited Jan 03, 2018 05:39AM) (new)

Chris | 676 comments The book starts with a real typical family with teenagers. I personally think that no family is as what is shown in movies or TV.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments I thought the portrail of the son and all of his guilt-ridden angst was probably accurate and that his incessant tedium was accurate as well. Him going "outside the family" to contact a lawer, however, was a serious problem for me.

message 21: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments I would have given the dog a bigger part in the story, too.😀

message 22: by MsTiptress (new)

MsTiptress | 3 comments I'm new to the group and am so ready to contribute my feelings. Hi all, I'm running to the library to grab this book. Hopefully I beat this winter storm

message 23: by Jim (last edited Jan 03, 2018 12:29PM) (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments MsTiptress wrote: "I'm new to the group and am so ready to contribute my feelings. Hi all, I'm running to the library to grab this book. Hopefully I beat this winter storm"

Glad to meetcha here at the BOTM!😎 I'm Jim in MT and I help our intrepid Mod Stephanie with this fun😆 reading group. Check out our special website where we have additional info about the books, authors and a whole lot more!! www.botm.blackdogebooks.com

message 24: by Chris (last edited Jan 03, 2018 12:32PM) (new)

Chris | 676 comments Jim, I found the son to be more adult than the father. He did something wrong and wanted to own up to it. His father on the other hand didn't want his son to ruin his future. Now you remember the old saying if you can't do the time don't do the crime. His father is making everything worse.

message 25: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments Just started reading this book and I have to agree that the son does seem to be more mature than the father. However, the father was thinking of his sons future as well. It still doesn’t take away the fact that he was sending the wrong message to his son about being accountable for his actions. Still reading so will check back later...

message 26: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments While reading the book I do understand how a parent wants to protect their child but to me the father went a little overboard.

message 27: by Janeandjerry (new)

Janeandjerry (janeandjerryculwell) | 0 comments Have to place this on my to read list since i have a few right now that i have to finish up...

message 28: by Shirley (new)

Shirley Noffke | 8 comments Read the book back in 2014, decided to reread since it's the BOTM, I love Lisa Scottoline . This book caused my blood pressure to shoot up! I could feel the boy's pain and heart ache. We teach our children to do the right thing until something bad happens and than the rules are forgotten.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Hi, Shirley! Yeah, until something bad happens. Isn't that just the way, though? We have all these rules and ethics and stuff and they are all just peachy . . . until something bad happens. Then it's Tony Soprano's rules. Whaddaya gonna do, eh?

message 30: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments I figured out half the book and I think if the father just fessed up in the beginning none of the stuff would have happened. I believe a parent to protect a child but his father went to extremes and only made it worse.

message 31: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Chris, the father was too interested in being his son's buddy (in the beginning) instead of a parent. Then I think even though his motivation is to "protect" his son; he is still acting immaturely.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments So essentially if they had stayed at the scene, both the son and the father would have been screwed, glued and tattooed. "Here we are. Take us off to prison for ten years!" And y'all think that's a good alternative to hitting the bricks.

I know, they "should" stand up and face the music. They screwed up and that's that. What about self-incrimination? That kinda contradicts the "leaving the scene" law--especially when you are guilty. You can stand there and say it was an "accident" all day long. But the legal system won't hear a word of that plea. When the chips are down, you've had it. This is of course why we should all think SAFETY FIRST and be really careful out there driving around--and be observant.

message 33: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments Jim as soon as the son hit the person I said something isn't right. Think about it a minute.

message 34: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) What do you think --- What would have been a responsible action by Jake once the incident had happened? Could he have handled it differently so as not to make things worse for his son? If you've finished the book, keep in mind

SPOILER

(view spoiler)

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Karen, I thought SPOILER from the beginning!😉

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Here in Montana we got deer jumping out into traffic day and night. Many cars and trucks show front-end damage. So one has to be extra cautious. Also we got no end of drunks walking, driving and riding bicycles. So anything off the wall has a high probability of happening.

message 37: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Jim, my girlfriend gave me "Deer Warnings" things for my car. I haven't put them on yet because I will be using a different car soon.
Do you have them out there?

message 38: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Never heard of that! We could certainly use something like that. I'll look it up😎 Thanks!

message 39: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments Okay, just ordered Deer Whistles from Amazon!😇

message 40: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments Karen B. wrote: "What do you think --- What would have been a responsible action by Jake once the incident had happened? Could he have handled it differently so as not to make things worse for his son? If you've fi..."

What you read that part what is the first thing you thought.

message 41: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments I think that the father was wrong when he decided to handle everything himself. He definitely jumped the gun on this one.

message 42: by Jim (new)

Jim Crocker | 292 comments I can't remember if I've used my mother's favorite quote here or not. Anyway: "If nobody sees, it didn't happen." Whadda thing to say to a little kid, eh?

message 43: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments Jim wrote: "I can't remember if I've used my mother's favorite quote here or not. Anyway: "If nobody sees, it didn't happen." Whadda thing to say to a little kid, eh?"

Funny crossed my mind to. I think that they should of reported it right away. Hey the kid smoked some pot during the day big deal what kid didn't do it while in high school. This happened hours ago not like the cop was gonna search him if he had it on him.

message 44: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments I enjoyed this book. It def kept me interested all the way through it. I was surprised by the ending as well. I don’t know if I would be able to just walk away from someone that I hit with my car. My conscience would get the best of me.

message 45: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) Like you Vickie, I would have a hard time walking away. In fact, I'd probably be hysterical.

message 46: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments Karen - I know I would be hysterical for sure!! Absolutely!!

message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments Most women would be, men are a little different. I thought something was off from the get go.

message 48: by Karen B. (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) If you've gotten that far in your reading, what do you think about the mother's reaction when she learns about the situation?

message 49: by Vickie (new)

Vickie Sarmina (iwrite0530) | 346 comments Karen - I was a little shocked to be sure, especially since she was a Judge! Never expected her to turn s blind eye to what they had done. Seems like she was always enabling her son in some way and was his overall protector - no matter what he did. Actually I think she was too over protective - always checking the Parent Portal for school.

message 50: by Chris (new)

Chris | 676 comments Vickie wrote: "Karen - I was a little shocked to be sure, especially since she was a Judge! Never expected her to turn s blind eye to what they had done. Seems like she was always enabling her son in some way and..."

Not sure how far into the book you are but there was a reason for her checking. Everything that was done in the book was is explained in the last few chapters of the book. The family went through a rough patch and I guess the mother didn't want it to happen again and that's why she kind of turned a blind eye to it.

« previous 1