Around the World in 80 Books discussion

ATW in 80 Books World Challenge > Jennifer - Rogue Traveler (2018)

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments I'm looking forward to seeing more of the world with you all :) Happy New Year!

My first stop: Bulgaria. If you enjoy artifacts, history and mystery, I highly recommend you check out this series. This is book 3: White Clay by Dora Ilieva.

message 2: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1401 comments Fascinating -- I'll have to keep an eye out for her Bulgarian mysteries.

message 3: by Vicky (new)

Vicky Hunt (reason2believehim) | 243 comments Have fun in Bulgaria and Happy New Books!

message 4: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Jennifer wrote: "I'm looking forward to seeing more of the world with you all :) Happy New Year!

My first stop: Bulgaria. If you enjoy artifacts, history and mystery, I highly recommend you check out this series. ..."

Happy New Year to you, too!

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Mome_Rath wrote: "Fascinating -- I'll have to keep an eye out for her Bulgarian mysteries."

I hope you enjoy them if you do. It's a country I had a poor impression of but now understand it better and have 'seen' some of the beautiful sites there. ;). Hey happy new year to you, Mome_Rath!

message 6: by Mome_Rath (new)

Mome_Rath | 1401 comments Sounds interesting; I don't know much about Bulgaria beyond my college geography classes. Happy New Year to you, too!

message 7: by Laurie (new)

Laurie | 629 comments I don't think there is anything wrong with using Dutch New Guinea since it was a Dutch colony at the time. If you don't want to offend or make anyone misunderstand why you chose that name, you could do an author's note at the beginning of the book to explain your choice.

message 8: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Laurie wrote: "I don't think there is anything wrong with using Dutch New Guinea since it was a Dutch colony at the time. If you don't want to offend or make anyone misunderstand why you chose that name, you coul..."

That is an excellent suggestion - thank you, Laurie!!

message 9: by Diane , Armchair Tour Guide (new)

Diane  | 12949 comments Great suggestion, Laura.

message 10: by Jennifer (last edited Feb 21, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Diane wrote: "Great suggestion, Laura."

I agree, Diane! (And thank you.) All references to Papua New Guinea in the historical chapters in the book will be replaced with Dutch New Guinea (because it does take place during the period of Dutch colonization) and I'll use Papua in the book description. I'll also include a note inside explaining why. Have a wonderful night - both of you!!

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments And now back to books!!

Death on the Canal by Anja de Jager. Excellent descriptions of Amsterdam, the Netherlands.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Witch's List by Andrew Cairns. Detailed descriptions of Ivory Coast, Scotland and France.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Vestals Conspiracy: A Prequel Novella To The Nina Monte Mystery Thriller Series by Tomasz Chrusciel. This is the second thriller I've read of his and I really enjoyed both of them thoroughly. This time he takes us to Italy for an archaeological mystery.

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Hidden Village by Imogen Matthews. Set in the Netherlands during WWII.
It's quite a moving novel and I enjoyed (is the right word within the context of WWII?) reading about the war from the perspective of the children living through it.

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments A Hundred Hands by Dianne Noble. Great descriptions of India.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Informium by Barry Stiller.
Excellent descriptions of an archeological dig in Egypt and life in East Germany in the 1980s (before the fall of the wall).

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Bisj-Poles: Sculptures from the Rain Forest by Pauline van der Zee.
A collection of essays about the Asmat in Papua (Indonesia) - historical and contemporary look at their life and rituals.

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Curses! by Aaron Elkins
Fun and informative mystery set in the Mayan ruins of Mexico. I enjoyed it so much I bought two more of his books in the series.

message 19: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Smokescreen by Khaled Talib

Thriller set in mainly in Singapore.

message 20: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Sylvie Writes a Romance by Melissa Burovac.

Rom com set in Hawaii.

message 21: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments The Travel Mate by J.A. Kalis

set in Georgia.

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer S. Alderson (jennifesalderson) | 138 comments Restitution by Rose Edmunds.

Set in Prague (Czechoslovakia)