Sci-fi and Heroic Fantasy discussion

What We've Been Reading > What are you Reading this January, 2018?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Happy New Year, everyone!

Is it me, or did Goodreads' fonts get smaller today?

So, while you're shivering or sunbathing or just mainlining coffee, what are you reading?

message 2: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments I didn't notice a font change. I'm using a PC with Chrome.

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 91 comments Traitor's Blade by Sebastien de Castell

Hopefully I can get Sword of Destiny by Sapkowski and The Heart of What Was Lost by Tad Williams.

message 4: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments I'm about halfway through Uprooted.

message 5: by Abigail (new)

Abigail (kementari) | 10 comments Journey to the Center of the Earth. The story, so far, is about two very proper English gentlemen prancing past the primitive peasants of Iceland and fending off the disgusting wild lepers of that dreary landscape.

Featuring countless paragraphs of unnecessary information about what they packed for their trip, what they ate, and how rude the natives are.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2523 comments Starting on the group read Dragonflight. Seems like I remembered it more positively than I should have, will see what a reading as an adult rather than a teenager will get out of it.

message 8: by NekroRider (new)

NekroRider | 321 comments I decided to slowly start re-reading Forgotten Realms this year in between some other series/books, for nostalgia's sake. Currently I'm about 100 pages shy of finishing The Crystal Shard.

After that I plan to start the year off with Kings of the Wyld and Fools and Mortals. Then depending on where I'm at before the end of the month may move on to Streams of Silver.

message 9: by Cat (new)

Cat | 343 comments I've read Akarnae which was a YA feel-good fantasy which I quite enjoyed reading new years day.

I really need to remember to start group reads before they're due - Dragonflight awaits me.

After that, I might start making my way through some of my Christmas reads.

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan Kite | 54 comments Re: Dragonflight. Reread that about a year ago and still loved it.
I just finished The Hypnotists by Gordon Korman and found it a very good read. Going to read Motes by Tilmer Wright and one of the Greek legend books by Jane Yolen in between working on my own writing.

message 11: by Susan (last edited Jan 01, 2018 01:35PM) (new)

Susan Kite | 54 comments Abigail wrote: "Journey to the Center of the Earth. The story, so far, is about two very proper English gentlemen prancing past the primitive peasants of Iceland and fending off the disgusting wild le..."

Are you trying to say we'd be better off watching James Mason or Brenden Fraser prancing around in the bowels of the earth? LOL
To be perfectly honest with you, I read that book as a teenager and liked it, but I am not telling you when I was a teenager. "That" was a very popular word in those days, along with long sentences and lots of adverbs. Amazing how the language has changed in just a couple of generations.

message 12: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2523 comments Abigail wrote: "Journey to the Center of the Earth. The story, so far, is about two very proper English gentlemen prancing past the primitive peasants of Iceland and fending off the disgusting wild le..."

I actually read that one in the original French :) Come to think of it, probably the only Verne I've read...

message 13: by Mike (new)

Mike (mikekeating) | 242 comments I'm about 1/5 into Firefight (The Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson . It's enjoyable so far, but the first book in the trilogy Steelheart (The Reckoners, #1) by Brandon Sanderson had all kinds of subtle comics shoutouts which I haven't caught in this one yet.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I can't wait to dive into A Lit Fuse...it the authorized bio of Harlan Ellison from NESFA press...i'll have to give it five stars even if i don't like it tho, else Harlan will sue me...

Tanya (Novel Paperbacks) | 26 comments I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. Tried to read it a few times but couldn't get into it. Now I am determined.

message 16: by NekroRider (new)

NekroRider | 321 comments Tanya wrote: "I'm reading The Lies of Locke Lamora. Tried to read it a few times but couldn't get into it. Now I am determined."

Had a similar experience the first time I sat down to read Lies of Locke Lamora. Just couldn't get into it. Then I came back to it about a month later, got totally sucked in and couldn't put it down, haha. Strange how the mind works sometimes.

message 17: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin | 68 comments I'm continuing my Star Wars new canon binge read with Bloodline, then planning on joining the discussion of Altered Carbon which I've been meaning to read for awhile.

message 18: by Hillary (new)

Hillary Major | 436 comments Pre-Christmas, I started a re-read of The Song of the Lioness Quartet, which started me on a great Tamora Pierce read/re-read. Some of the editions I read are re-releases with author's notes; interestingly, Pierce writes that the success of the Harry Potter books convinced her publishers it was OK to allow her to write longer volumes -- thus, she's writing fewer quartets. I'm into one of her more recently published series now, the Beka Cooper trilogy, which is interesting as a YA that focuses almost entirely on "beat cop" work w/in its fantasy setting.

I plan on joining the January reads of Dragonslayer of Merebaton & Altered Carbon.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Well my first actual book of the year wasn't even a novel, but a novella: All Systems Red. it was a fun, old-fashioned sci-fi, so the years' off to a good start!
Bonus: robot PoV checks off a Bingo box.

message 20: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments G33z3r wrote: "Well my first actual book of the year wasn't even a novel, but a novella: All Systems Red. it was a fun, old-fashioned sci-fi, so the years' off to a good start!
Bonus: robot PoV c..."

I see that 8 of my GR friends have read it & rated it at 4 or 5 stars. I'll have to get a copy.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "G33z3r wrote: "Well my first actual book of the year wasn't even a novel, but a novella: All Systems Red. it was a fun, old-fashioned sci-fi, so the years' off to a good start!"

I see that 8 of my GR friends have read it & rated it at 4 or 5 stars. I'll have to get a copy. ..."

Last July Brendan wrote: Everyone will love this book, but I did not.
(Preemptory contrariness is apparently a thing.) That was when I put it on my to-read list :) Also, Rachel & Silvana said nice things about it.

message 23: by Michael (last edited Jan 04, 2018 02:44PM) (new)

Michael | 152 comments I listened to the audio book of Artemis by Andy Weir while driving back from visiting relatives for the holidays, now I'm reading The Tiger's Daughter by K. Arsenault Rivera. Not sure what I'll pull from my TBR list next.

message 24: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 12 comments I've read Origin, and even though I didn't expect much it managed to left me kind of disappointed. I don't think that I'm going to read anything else from Dan Brown.
Now I'm reading Followed by Frost, and it's like I'm reading Frozen. Book may be interesting because of a man/woman issues (I'll put it in spoiler, maybe unnecessary because good part is given as blurb) (view spoiler)

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Michael wrote: "I listened to the audio book of Artemis while driving back from visiting relatives for the holidays, ."

And...? The reviews have been... mixed, let's say... so I'm curious what real people thought of it.

message 27: by Roger (new)

Roger G33z3r wrote: "Michael wrote: "I listened to the audio book of Artemis while driving back from visiting relatives for the holidays, ."

And...? The reviews have been... mixed, let's say... so I'm curious what rea..."

I thought Artemis was just okay, wasn't really that sympathetic to Jazz so I wasn't rooting real hard for her to succeed. In the end what she is getting the money for is good, but she just seems selfish most of the story. I absolutely love The Martian because Watney was just a great character and I was rooting for him to survive, just didn't get that with Jazz.

message 28: by Michael (last edited Jan 04, 2018 03:03PM) (new)

Michael | 152 comments G33z3r wrote: "Michael wrote: "I listened to the audio book of Artemis while driving back from visiting relatives for the holidays, ."

And...? The reviews have been... mixed, let's say... so I'm curious what rea..."

I really liked the book. In some ways the writing was technically a bit better than The Martian showing some growth as a writer, but the main character was not quite as sympathetic. I loved the world building and the plot idea. Overall, I'd rate it about 1/2 a star below Weir's first book.

EDIT: After looking through the reviews on this book, it appears that the female readers tended to like the book less than the male readers, based at least in part on the characterization of Jazz, the main character. Reading some of those reviews, I think I can understand where they are coming from. More that one stated that Jazz came off as a 15 year old boy instead of a 25 year old woman and I think they have a point.

message 29: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments I got behind on my reviews for some reason.

Short Science Fiction Collection vol. 008 is devoted to Alan E. Nourse. Usually these Librivox collections have as many different authors as stories, so this was a nice change of pace. Nourse had quite the imagination, too. I gave it a 4 star review here:
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

Empire of the East by Fred Saberhagen is a fantasy set in a post apocalyptic SF world, a nice blend & a precursor to his 'Swords' series. I haven't read it for years & thought it aged very well. I gave it a 4 star review here:

message 30: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 2523 comments Finished The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan which I started in December, those books are so much fun, silly, but fun.

Finished Dragonflight, by the end I recovered from the scary near-dystopic beginning and it became an exciting mystery/adventure read. Interestingly I gave it 5 stars when I added it to GR, but that was years after I read it, I'm bringing it down to 4 now that my memory has been freshened up.

Starting The Dragon Quintet edited by Marvin Kaye since Randy got me excited by saying it was good. It has 5 novellas. One from Orson Scott Card which has a note saying he plans to turn it into a book (need to check if he did), one from Mercedes Lackey that definitely turned into a book (Joust), one by Michael Swanwick which by the summary became the The Iron Dragon's Daughter. Finally one by Tanith Lee and one by Elizabeth Moon.

I'll alternate those novellas with other reads, so I'll also start Dragonquest as part of my quest to read all the Pern books this year.

message 31: by Eric (new)

Eric I completed Elantris (Elantris, #1) by Brandon Sanderson , which was a compilation of all of the Elantris tales. I continue on with my Brandon Sanderson, fantasy binge with Warbreaker (Warbreaker, #1) by Brandon Sanderson Warbreaker.

May the 'Dor' be with you. :)

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 522 comments Starting Artemis and have 3-8 others physically lined up waiting......waiting for my house to be warm and dry enough to live in again.

So far 2018 has been all disaster, no reading.
(A broken furnace, a broken pipe, a broken dryer......equals s flooded freezing house!)

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 91 comments Well, seeing how I finished the books I brought with me on holiday, and the only other book nearby was The Hobbit, well....I'll probably be reading it as well

message 35: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 695 comments Good!

message 36: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments I gave How Great Science Fiction Works a 4 star review here:

I really enjoyed the first 10 lectures or so, but I think SF grew beyond the constraints after that. For instance, his discussion of sex, gender, & feminism was incomplete & muddled since they're squished into one 30 minute lecture. Each could have easily filled their own. Still, it was quite a trip. Highly recommended.

Tanya (Novel Paperbacks) | 26 comments Given up on the Lies of Locke Lamora now. I just was not enjoying the story. The characters were great and I loved the relationship between the Gentlemen Bastards but I was struggling to enjoy the plot. So I have put it back on my half and I will give it another go in the future. Hopefully I will be more in the mood for it. I have started The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I have never actually read any his work before so I'm excited.

Saul the Heir of Isauldur (krinnok) | 91 comments So, I managed to get half of the Witcher series, so I'll probably be getting into that as soon as I re-read the first half. And I'll be reading The Heart of What Was Lost so I can get into the new trilogy. Re-reading The Hobbit because it's familiar and comfortable and I started it, so now I gotta finish it. Finally, I finally started Theft of Swords after having owned it for nearly a year. A busy month for me!

message 39: by Eric (last edited Jan 08, 2018 12:07PM) (new)

Eric Tanya wrote: "I have started The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. I have never actually read any his work before so I'm excited. "

The books of the Mist Born series were my first read of Brandon Sanderson. I've been hooked on him ever since. Hope you enjoy The Final Empire (Mistborn, #1) by Brandon Sanderson The Final Empire.

message 40: by [deleted user] (new)

Jim wrote: "I gave How Great Science Fiction Works a 4 star review..."

I listened to that last year, enjoyed it as well.

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 68 comments Just finished Empire of Ivory yesterday.

Currently reading Bloodline and Leviathan Wakes.

Also in the plan for this month: Gardens of the Moon and Victory of Eagles

message 42: by J.J. (last edited Jan 08, 2018 11:50PM) (new)

J.J. I finished reading 'Blood Song (Raven's Shadow #1) series by Anthony Ryan 3 days ago, and it was from the main character POV. It started off slow, but it increased and the ending was great. Right now I'm reading book 2 'Tower Lord', seen by 4 main character's POV, the characters are great and it's way better than 'Blood Song'. I gave 'Blood Song' 3 stars, but 'Tower Lord' might be looking at 4 stars, since I'm already a little more than half way through the book and it's hard to put down, wanting to see what happens next.

'Mistborn' trilogy Rocks! I want to be able to burn all the metals! : )

message 43: by Allison (last edited Jan 09, 2018 11:28AM) (new)

Allison Hurd So far I've read Uprooted and Touch. As I mentioned, Uprooted had some things I enjoyed, but I don't think I was really the intended audience. Touch was much more my speed. Such a clever book, both profound and action-packed.

I'm now reading Jews versus Aliens, The Tombs of Atuan and Ninefox Gambit and enjoying them all. I'm not far into the Earthsea book, but it's hard not to love this world. Ninefox has grabbed me much harder than I thought. And Jews vs. Aliens I've only read the first story so far as part of a buddy read, but it's an interesting collection and I'm ready for the next one.

message 44: by Bobby (last edited Jan 09, 2018 03:03PM) (new)

Bobby Bermea (beirutwedding) | 412 comments Sandman Slim, Full Dark, No Stars, NOS4A2 and I started but was pretty underwhelmed by The Bazaar of Bad Dreams, which is very unusual for me. My favorite Stephen King books are usually his collectionsof short stories but so far, none of these has really grabbed me. Strange. Ah! Not true! "The Dune" I really dug. Hoping for more like that.

message 45: by Silvana (last edited Jan 09, 2018 11:56PM) (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Currently alternating between Paladin of Souls and Points of Impact. The later is more interesting for now.

Sarah wrote: "Just finished Empire of Ivory yesterday.

Currently reading Bloodline and Leviathan Wakes.

Also in the plan for this month: [book:Gardens of the Moon|5..."

All are interesting books. I hope you enjoy Victory of Eagle - probably the first or second best Temeraire novel for me. Could not decide which I like better, the first one or this.

Leviathan Wakes is fun. Welcome to The Expanse!

message 46: by Kivrin (new)

Kivrin | 452 comments Just finished Blackwing. Gritty fantasy with some nice mythology. Didn't love it, but I liked it.

message 47: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra Gogić (aleks_g) | 12 comments I've started The Once and Future King and I'll finish this week last book in Alanna quartet Lioness Rampant. After these I'll try to focus on books on my TBR challenge hopefully with some bigger success... somehow other books just pop up out of nowhere :)

message 48: by Cat (last edited Jan 11, 2018 01:42PM) (new)

Cat | 343 comments Aleksandra wrote: "After these I'll try to focus on books on my TBR challenge hopefully with some bigger success... somehow other books just pop up out of nowhere :) "

They're always doing that! Lol. So far this month I've read Dragonflight and the The Dragonslayer of Merebarton which I had planned for the group read. Otherwise, it's been entirely books that have popped up out of nowhere!

I decided that The Sleeper and the Spindle counted at a graphic novel for me for the bingo challenge, because while it's not a novel, it's the closest I am going to get and the artwork really was beautiful. I picked up A Closed and Common Orbit when I spotted it at the library which was a nice feel-good sci-fi but I don't think it was as good as The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

After having reserved it and waited 10 months (?) for it to be available from the library, I'm finally finishing of Brent Weeks massive Lightbringer series with The Blood Mirror, I have never barracked for so many characters that are at cross-purposes. I just want them all to win, even though it's not possible!

I'm also re-reading Guards! Guards! for some fun. After all that I've got a couple of non-sci-fi/fantasy books to read and then just have to wait and see what pops up next!

Edit: I've just finished Blood Mirror only to realise that the author has decided to extend it to a fifth book. This is both good and very very frustrating

message 49: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 2172 comments Science Fiction: The Literature Of The Technological Imagination by Eric S. Rabkin was pretty good. It's shorter than Wolfe's How Great Science Fiction Works. The roots of & early SF is traced even better, but once he gets into the 1950s, he doesn't do the subject justice at all. Leaves out far too much, although he covers film better than books.

I gave it a 4 star review here:

message 50: by Brendan (new)

Brendan (mistershine) | 743 comments Finished Frankenstein, which I've actually never read before, for a group read.

Also read Amatka, which was really great. Between this, Ice, and Frankenstein, been doing a lot of reading about cold climates. Have to find a dystopian book that takes place in a volcano to read next.

« previous 1 3