Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1)
This topic is about Grave Mercy
Jan 2018: Binti > ALT: Grave Mercy Discussion *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 917 comments Mod
The forum-picked ALT title for January is Grave Mercy, a YA historical fantasy by Robin LaFevers. Use this thread to discuss the book.
Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

Spoiler Warning: This is the first book in a series. Please limit spoilers to the first book only. Use this thread to discuss the entire series: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly (mollyrichmer) I picked up this book awhile back and just couldn’t stand the writing style. If you’re in the same boat, I’d recommend Red Sister by Mark Lawrence. Similar concept, but better written, imo.

Nora (ngoldie) | 3 comments Agreed. Something about the writing style is off for me. Not motivated to pick up the other books.

Sean Lookielook Sandulak (seansandulak) | 917 comments Mod
I just started and I found the prose a little hard to get into as well. I'm going to give it another go this weekend and see if it grows on me.

Gwyn | 1 comments I found the present tense prose a little distracting in the first 100 pages, but after that I seemed to numb to it a bit and it didn't bother me as much. I remember a similar thing happening with The Hunger Games, although in that case it bothered me so much I never finished it. I really liked a lot of elements in this book, and enjoyed the fact that the heroine was actually a strong female character, trusting herself and not relying on some guy to step in and save her ever few chapters.

Florence I read the book 3 weeks ago, but didn't have time to sit in front of the computer to write a comment on it then. I'll try to remember my general thoughts on the story.

I liked the book. I gave it three stars, because it lagged a bit in the middle and toward the end. I felt that both the storyline and the romance moved at a very slow space in the middle and I lost interest a little bit.

That being said, the author did a great job of setting the mood and created a creepy atmosphere in the beginning and when Ismae first get to the convent.

Ismae and Gavriel were both interesting and likable. The romance was well balanced and both of them were competent and intelligent characters. I admit I rolled my eyes in the end when she cured him with her body. I don't really care much for the golden-vagina-that-cures-all trope.

I'd be really interested to hear more about why the prose didn't really work for you guys. I'm not a native english speaker (french-canadian here) and I've noticed before that weird prose that others find annoying usually fly right over my head. :-) Probably because I am not as familiar with english grammar and punctuation as I am in French. I didn't even notice the book was written in the present tense until Gwyn pointed it out. Though thinking about it, I would find it weird to read a book in french written in the present tense. It wouldn't flow as well in my head.

Anyway, I probably won't be picking up the next book in the series, because I felt the ending was satisfying. Also, Sybella was a bit creepy and I don't feel compel to read her story.

Kellios I found the story just didn't flow as well as it should, at least for me. It felt abrupt and almost choppy in some places.

It didn't help that it lagged a bit in the middle. I wasn't invested in the characters so it was harder to continue halfway through the book. It was an okay read, but I don't have any desire to continue with the series.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Grave Mercy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Robin LaFevers (other topics)