Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Questions > ISBN taken

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Demy (new)

Demy (dxmy) Hello Librarians,

I tried to add a new addition of the book A Beautiful Mind, A Beautiful Life: The Bubz Guide to Being Unstoppable, because I've got the paperback and there's only a kindle edition and a paperback that comes out in June. So I entered all the information, but it turns out there is another book with the exact same ISBN (Mary Rose). What am I supposed to do now?

Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Demy (new)

Demy (dxmy) I did some research and it turns out the ISBN for that specific edition of Mary Rose was wrong, so I fixed it!

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Removing or replacing ISBNs on an existing edition is against policy, see https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2... , specifically:

"it may be that an ISBN was reused on a completely different book. This shouldn't happen because ISBNs are supposed to be unique, but exceptions have been found. If that is the case, manually add a new edition to the database, leaving the ISBN field blank. Then in the Description field, add a note stating the issue with the ISBN and listing the actual ISBN. You can also use the Librarian Note feature found near the top of the book edit page to attach a note to the book"

message 4: by Demy (new)

Demy (dxmy) Oh man, didn't know it was against policy, I am so sorry!! Should I change it back?

message 5: by Toviel (last edited Jan 01, 2018 08:59AM) (new)

Toviel (exagge) | 51 comments lethe wrote: "Removing or replacing ISBNs on an existing edition is against policy, see https://www.goodreads.com/help/show/2... , specifically:

"it may be that an ISBN was reused on a comple..."

How is this relevant? The ISBN wasn't reused, it was entered incorrectly. The page you linked explicitly lists that reason as an exception to the rule.

EDIT: Not trying to be catty, just would like clarification.

message 6: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Demy wrote: "Oh man, didn't know it was against policy, I am so sorry!! Should I change it back?"

Yes, please :)

Lysistrata wrote: "How is this relevant? The ISBN wasn't reused, it was entered incorrectly. The page you linked explicitly lists that reason as an exception to the rule."

How do you know it was entered incorrectly? The ISBN originally listed was 9781945293412, very different from 9781945293368, so definitely not a typo (which is meant by "entered incorrectly").

The book was added by a librarian, so it was not a faulty import or anything like that.

As is stated in the manual, sometimes two different books end up with the same ISBN. It shouldn't happen, but it does.

Unless we can ascertain without a doubt (and GR is very strict in this) that the ISBN wasn't used on that particular book, we are not allowed to change it.

message 7: by Demy (last edited Jan 01, 2018 10:55AM) (new)

Demy (dxmy) Thank you so much for letting me know about my error and helping me by explaining how it works. I'll make sure I'll read the Librarian Manual topics a little more thoroughly in the coming days. Again, I apologize for this error! I changed it all back and added a Librarian Note!

message 8: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13730 comments Great, Demy, thanks :)