The Humour Club discussion

General > Chocolate Relief

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jay (new)

Jay Cole (jay_cole) | 5437 comments Mod
Those of you who have seen such headlines as:

Chocolate is on track to go extinct in 40 years

Well, you can relax and stop wishing for an early death before chocolate disappears. The fact checkers say that these headlines are mostly false... That is, hype to sucker in the more gullible readers.

According to Snopes: "...chocolate will still be widely available for purchase even if current market conditions continue or intensify. Furthermore, many of the chocolate industry executives who have commented on the potential for chocolate shortages did so years ago; and they spoke more to increased costs and demand than an actual extinction of cocoa."

While it may be more expensive in coming years, you will still be able to swill Hershey's Chocolate Syrup directly from the bottle. What a relief!

message 2: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3518 comments Mod
Jay wrote: "Those of you who have seen such headlines as:

Chocolate is on track to go extinct in 40 years

Well, you can relax and stop wishing for an early death before chocolate disappears. The fact ch..."

If we lose our bees, coffee will be extinct. THEN, you're going to hear me roar.

message 3: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 2422 comments Mod
I am glad to hear that chocolate is going to be around for the rest of my life, and probably coffee too. Of course, it's kind of obvious--if those two things leave the building, I won't survive long (nor will anyone around me).

message 4: by Jay (new)

Melki wrote: "If we lose our bees, coffee will be extinct. THEN, you're going to hear me roar."

It'll be a chorus with every writer on the planet.

Coffee goes extinct... Isn't that the primary portent of Armageddon?

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Bell There is a short story in my book titled Chocolate Beach where the trees and fish are chocolate, the sand is sugar, and the clouds are cotton candy. (Titled Life Seemed Good, But....)

message 6: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 445 comments I think what we are seeing here is the nefarious handiwork of the headline writer. I've come across this many times - and had it done to me many times. It goes something like this:

1. The author of a column writes a perfectly sensible and well researched piece. He/she checks the sources, agonises over "would" vs "should". Dots every i and crosses every t. Carefully balances argument A over counter argument B. On the one hand, on the other hand ...

2. Then the headline writer steams in and boils this all down to less than ten words of brutal over-simplification.

3. Author complains.

4. Headline writer says "I know what sells".

5. The end.

Bitter, moi?

Come the revolution, brothers and sisters, and headline writers will be the first against the wall. Or out of the window if we opt for the defenestration version of the revolution instead of the firing squad.

What the story really means is that climate change will make it harder to grow some crops in some areas, and easier to grow some other crops somewhere else.

But then that doesn't make a good headline, does it?

message 7: by Rebecca (new)

Jay wrote: "Melki wrote: "If we lose our bees, coffee will be extinct. THEN, you're going to hear me roar."

It'll be a chorus with every writer on the planet.

Coffee goes extinct... Isn't that the primary po..."

I think I've already been there...
http://www.ninjalibrarian.com/2013/09...

message 8: by Jay (last edited Jan 02, 2018 12:36PM) (new)

Will wrote: "What the story really means is that climate change will make it harder to grow some crops in some areas, and easier to grow some other crops somewhere else. But then that doesn't make a good headline, does it?"

I'm afraid, Will, that a rational interpretation of anything has a small audience these days. We've raised a generation drowned in hype, half-truths, outright lies and insincere opinions. When even the president is willing to propagate misinformation, I wonder how many young people know they're being lied to, or bother to research the truth behind the headlines these days. Perhaps, their iPhones need an app for that.

message 9: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 133 comments Jay wrote: you will still be able to swill Hershey's Chocolate Syrup directly from the bottle. ..."

Of course.
But that's because it hardly contains any chocolate...

message 10: by Joseph (new)

Joseph | 133 comments Melki wrote: "If we lose our bees, coffee will be extinct. THEN, you're going to hear me roar. "
So if we lose our buzz, we'll lose our buzz?

message 11: by Rebecca (new)

Joseph wrote: "Jay wrote: you will still be able to swill Hershey's Chocolate Syrup directly from the bottle. ..."

Of course.
But that's because it hardly contains any chocolate..."

In fact, I'm pretty sure it contains none. Note the "chocolate flavored" label. Not chocolate.

message 12: by Will (new)

Will Once (willonce) | 445 comments Jay wrote: "I'm afraid, Will, that a rational interpretation of anything has a small audience these days."

I have faith in the young. They may turn out to be wiser than us and better at spotting fakes.

message 13: by Jay (new)

Will wrote: "I have faith in the young. They may turn out to be wiser than us and better at spotting fakes"

Hopefully. Although, our last election certainly left room for a reasonable doubt.