Kindle British Mystery Book Club discussion

In a Cottage In a Wood
This topic is about In a Cottage In a Wood
Book Club Selection > January 2018 Value Read - In a Cottage In a Wood, by Cass Green

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Gooch | 3988 comments Mod
In a Cottage In a Wood, by Cass Green

A strange encounter
Neve comes across a troubled woman called Isabelle on Waterloo Bridge late one night. Isabelle forces a parcel into Neve’s hands and jumps to her death in the icy Thames below.

An unexpected gift
Two weeks later, as Neve’s wreck of a life in London collapses, an unexpected lifeline falls into her lap – a charming cottage in Cornwall left to her by Isabelle, the woman on the bridge. The solution to all her problems.

A Twisted secret
But when Neve arrives, alone in the dark woods late one night, she finds a sinister-looking bungalow with bars across its windows. And her dream home quickly becomes her worst nightmare – a house hiding a twisted secret that will change her life forever…

Discussion Leader - AngryGreyCat

AngryGreyCat (angrygreycatreads) | 556 comments I finished this one already. When it looked like it was winning the poll I ordered it and read it. I don't think it is a really "meaty" mystery, but more of a thriller, fast paced read.

message 3: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill Kupersmith | 560 comments Mod
I’m aboard.

message 4: by Shell (new)

Shell (whodoneit) | 3 comments I have this one and looking forward to reading it.

Erunyauve | 168 comments Just started.

Erunyauve | 168 comments I don't think this is a spoiler, since it was evident in the first few pages that Neve is the friend who alternately entertains you with stories of her life and calls you (usually at 3 am) to sob when everything falls apart (and you're quietly thinking, 'Um, wasn't it obvious that this was how it would turn out?'). The author has gone the full mile building up the character - this is the perfect example of 'show, don't tell'. I'm curious to see how this will impact the story line - one would hope that the author isn't just filling the pages, that understanding Neve will set the stage as the thriller/mystery develops.

message 7: by Bill (new) - added it

Bill Kupersmith | 560 comments Mod
Some experienced readers of thriller might well find In a Cottage in a Wood a trifle closer to a cozy than to a ’gripping new psychological thriller’, but when Isabelle throws herself off Blackfriars Bridge into the Thames on a freezing night, that was quite chilling enough for me, even before we find out she’s added curtain weights to the hem of her gown to insure against rescue. One reason that I enjoyed this book is its using what is usually a romantic comedy plot – character at her wit’s end getting a letter for a solicitor’s office in someplace lovely like Somerset or Cornwall (I keep watching the letterbox for Exeter postmarks). And we have the standards: cottage is a fixer-upper but village provides attractive unattached handyman as well as colourful local pub, and we have the neighbours who seem eager to help Neve settle in. Actually some of our usual elements prove a lot more sinister than we expected. If you’re like me and find the notion of a nice dog getting kicked in the ribs much more outrageous than someone who needs killing getting his just deserts, you’ll find the story ‘gripping’ enough. It was also a most striking coincidence that we read this book the week that the parole of the black cab rapist was much in the news, as a similar situation plays a role in this story. I had a few reservations as well, but they are hidden in the spoiler section of January’s group read for the Kindle English Mystery Group.