2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Sense and Sensibility
This topic is about Sense and Sensibility
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Sense and Sensibility

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 06, 2018 09:42AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Jane Austen‘s book, Sense and Sensibility.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Scott, Daph, Cat, Susy, Janine, Kadijah Michelle, Ellen, Kari, Territadlock06, Sally

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 102
Week 2: 102
Week 3: 102
Week 4: 102

Janine Muniz (neenreadz) | 33 comments Sounds good!

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments I am so in!

message 5: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "I am so in!"

I have added you to the list of participants! :)

message 6: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. | 722 comments Thanks for setting up the thread :)

Karianne (karibean13) | 17 comments Count me in!

message 8: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Kari wrote: "Count me in!"

I have added you to the list of participants!

message 9: by Cat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Cat Cat | 78 comments I can say I like this one more than Pride and Prejudice.

Janine Muniz (neenreadz) | 33 comments This is my first time reading a book by Austen. I’m not sure how I feel about it yet.

message 11: by Territadlock06 (new)

Territadlock06 | 14 comments I am in, it is also my first time to read Austen.

message 12: by Sally (new) - added it

Sally | 102 comments Count me in please. My first time reading Jane Austen.

message 13: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Territadlock06 & Sally - you have been added to the list of participants!

message 14: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) I plan on starting after having finished The Picture of Dorian Gray, so probably half January. How about you guys?

message 15: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. | 722 comments Susy wrote: "I plan on starting after having finished The Picture of Dorian Gray, so probably half January. How about you guys?"

Yes, most likely I'll get into it middle of the month. I am so swamped lol

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I’m going to start after I finish ready player one

Lindsay | 1311 comments I've started this today so please can I join.

message 18: by Sally (new) - added it

Sally | 102 comments It is a little quiet here, wondering how everyone is getting on?

message 19: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) I’m at chapter 12. As usual with Austen’s books I’m having trouble distinguishing who’s who and how everybody is related to one another.
And sometimes I get the feeling that I’m reading the same story just with other characters. Maybe one Austen a year is enough for me...

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm up to chapter 33. It must be over 30 years since I last read this but I read the Joanna Trollope version (Sense & Sensibility)a year or two ago. It's a modern take on the same story and bits keep coming back to me and confusing me a bit.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Susy wrote: "I’m at chapter 12. As usual with Austen’s books I’m having trouble distinguishing who’s who and how everybody is related to one another.
And sometimes I get the feeling that I’m reading the same st..."

I don't normally keep any notes on the books I read but for this one I'm keeping a list on my phone of all the characters and there relationships between them. Seems to be helping. I couldn't get through the first chapter before I started the list. Now I'm on chapter 16 or so and really enjoying it so far.

message 22: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) Yes maybe I should do the same.

message 23: by Susy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Susy (susysstories) Have you all finished yet?

I just finished chapter 21 which I found quite boring and must confess didn’t entirely read with concentration... My mind kept wondering off.

message 24: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 3813 comments I see that some people are reading this one as their first Austen book. I have yet to read Mansfield Park, but compared to her other books, Sense and Sensibility is definitely the most difficult to read. So, if you are having trouble with this one, please don't give up on Austen's books and give Northanger Abbey a try :)

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm finished. I definitely agree with Ilona that this is less accessible but overall I did enjoy it. Northanger Abbey is very readable. I have Mansfield Park pencilled in for February.

message 26: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ilona | 3813 comments Lindsay wrote: "I have Mansfield Park pencilled in for February."

Me too! I am looking forward to it :)

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I found this book really enjoyable. Once I got going I didn’t find it that hard but I did keep a list of characters and looked up the relationships at one point. Still really great read.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Here’s a question I have
(view spoiler)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.