The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

2018 Reading Challenges > British mystery challenge

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry-Jones | 3 comments This year I will read mysteries by British authors. I have no set number, but let's see where this goes and how many I can achieve.

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8960 comments Mod
A topic that is dear to my heart.

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 37 comments I love British mysteries, but not all the time. I throw one in once in a while. Good luck with your reading challenge.

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I like to mix up my mysteries and their locations: the States, Canada, and the UK; lately, I've been having some problem reading current British, Irish and Scottish mysteries due to the heavy use of local colloquial language.

message 5: by Diane (new)

Diane | 7 comments I love to read British mysteries and crime novels. Agatha Christie's Jane Marple stories were my introduction to those back in high school. Her Hercule Poirot stories were never my favorite and I never got beyond the classics such as Murder on the Orient Express and Death on the Nile. Forty plus years later I read again those classics and decided to give Hercule another try and now I'm on my 25th.

message 6: by Alondra (new)

Alondra Miller I have a bunch of those on my TBR, too. I have added quite a few more locations with my ATW challenge, to kick up the thrills.

Good luck and happy reading

message 7: by Bill (new)

Bill There are definitely enough excellent British mystery writers to keep you occupied. Enjoy.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2018 01:16PM) (new)

Skye wrote: "I like to mix up my mysteries and their locations: the States, Canada, and the UK; lately, I've been having some problem reading current British, Irish and Scottish mysteries due to the heavy use o..."

You remind me so much of my husband, who doesn't like Scandinavian crime novels because the names and places are difficult to pronounce. He has a thing with umlauts. LOL

message 9: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Diane wrote: "I love to read British mysteries and crime novels. Agatha Christie's Jane Marple stories were my introduction to those back in high school. Her Hercule Poirot stories were never my favorite and I n..."

They actually become different stories when you're away from them for a long time. I've noticed this about a LOT of books I've read.

message 10: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1530 comments I am continuing on my US/UN mystery challenge. I have read at least one book from all fifty states and DC. I am working on all Canadian provinces/territories and at least 50 countries.

message 11: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "Skye wrote: "I like to mix up my mysteries and their locations: the States, Canada, and the UK; lately, I've been having some problem reading current British, Irish and Scottish mysteries due to th..."

I like Scandinavian mysteries, but lately I've been reading British / UK mysteries that contain a form of slang, and they are difficult to follow if overdone.

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "Diane wrote: "I love to read British mysteries and crime novels. Agatha Christie's Jane Marple stories were my introduction to those back in high school. Her Hercule Poirot stories were never my fa..."

I think we bring ourselves into every thing we read, so books read more than once impact us differently after the passage of time.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thomas wrote: "I am continuing on my US/UN mystery challenge. I have read at least one book from all fifty states and DC. I am working on all Canadian provinces/territories and at least 50 countries."

That is so interesting Thomas ( cold up there, too, huh)? I need your recommendations.

message 14: by Bart76 (new)

Bart76 | 1 comments any recommedations for good British mystery? website
/author?

message 15: by Thomas (last edited Mar 23, 2018 03:58PM) (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1530 comments Skye wrote: "Thomas wrote: "I am continuing on my US/UN mystery challenge. I have read at least one book from all fifty states and DC. I am working on all Canadian provinces/territories and at least 50 countrie..."

Skye, here is a link to my UN/US challenge, with the some Btitish reviews included
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
If you read kindle books, you can look up words in built in dictionary.

message 16: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry-Jones | 3 comments Bart76 a good British mystery series is Peter James Roy Grace mysteries dead simple is first and a real cracker. so many good authors out the the grand masters such as Christie Dexter, Hil.l Mark Edwards and Louise Voss are good to .

message 17: by Alison (new)

Alison Parry-Jones | 3 comments here is list of completed British mysteries so far.
The Winter Garden mystery by Carola Dunn.
A Scandal in Bohemia by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Murder on the orientation Express by Agatha Christie.
The Harlots tale by Sam Thomas.
Agatha Raisin and the potted gardener by M.C. Beaton.

message 18: by Bill (new)

Bill I've read the first Roy Grace so far and enjoyed. MC Beaton is a fun read; either of her two series.

message 19: by T (new)

T (twoo) | 18420 comments Some of the newer British authors include Mo Hayder and Luca Veste....well, the stories are set in England..

message 20: by Kate (new)

Kate | 5 comments I'm currently reading through the Carolus Deene mysteries by Leo Bruce. They're from the 60s ~> 80s but are lovely old British mysteries. Books are hard to come by but I think available from the library or else interlibrary loan.

message 21: by Bill (new)

Bill Bart76 wrote: "any recommedations for good British mystery? website
/author?"

Hey Bart. I've been featuring British mysteries over the past few months.. You have to scroll a bit, but it you're looking for some..

http://bill-booksbooksbooks.blogspot....