Reading 1001 discussion

36 views
Archives > READING 1001 Choice Awards

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen (last edited Jan 01, 2018 05:51AM) (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Drum roll please....


Average number of seasonal reads completed in 2017: 2
Favorite Seasonal Read: Infinite Jest
Least Favorite Seasonal Read: Bleak House

Average number of BOTM completed: 13
Overall Favorite BOTM: Roots of Heaven (a randomizer pick!)
Most Creative: If on a Winter's Night a Traveler.
Funniest BOTM: White Tiger
Saddest BOTM: What I Loved
Most intellectually stimulating/thought provoking: If on a Winter's Night.. & Blind Assassin
Best Plot: The Blind Assassin
Best Character Development: Wuthering Heights
Best writing/writing style: The Blind Assassin
Best Discussion thread: The Blind Assassin
Book you would have never read on your own: Legend

Worst plot: Humbolt's Gift
Worst Characters/character development: Humbolt's Gift
Worst Writing style: Humbolt's Gift
Most Boring: Humbolt's Gift
Least favorite BOTM: Humbolt's Gift. Wuthering Heights & City of God close seconds

Book you'd most want to read again: The Blind Assassin


message 2: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
And there you have it our group's best and worst of 2017.

What do you think?


message 3: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 558 comments No surprises! It was a year of great books for BOTMs, and we FINALLY read Infinite Jest!
The big stinker is no surprise, but at least I’ve read two of his way too many on the list.
I read 45 list books this past year. Looking forward to knocking more off the list this year!


message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 1248 comments Mod
Sounds like I should avoid Humbolt's Gift.


message 5: by Chinook (new)

Chinook | 282 comments Hahahaha - Humboldt’s Gift. Only one of two BOTM I completed and it was so bad.


message 6: by Pip (new)

Pip | 1411 comments Such an interesting thing to have done. Thanks so much, Jen.


Kelly_Hunsaker_reads ... | 894 comments Chinook wrote: "Hahahaha - Humboldt’s Gift. Only one of two BOTM I completed and it was so bad."

Yeah, I hated it. I felt like the author was talking down to his readers.


message 8: by Dree (new)

Dree | 243 comments I am not feeling so bad about not even managing to start it. I got it from the library and stared at it for 3 weeks. It sounded awful and I just couldn’t even try.


message 9: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 166 comments Jen wrote: "Drum roll please....


Average number of seasonal reads completed in 2017: 2
Favorite Seasonal Read: Infinite Jest
Least Favorite Seasonal Read: Bleak House

Average number of BOTM completed: 13
Ov..."


Wow, glad I didn't read Humbolt's Gift. That one is out, lol.


message 10: by Sue (new)

Sue Dix | 61 comments I whole-heartedly agree with the assessment of Humboldt's Gift.


message 11: by Sushicat (new)

Sushicat | 292 comments I did get it from the library, but it went back untouched. Seems that was a good thing. I tend to get into a reading slump when I’m supposed to read a book but don’t like it.


message 12: by Kristel (last edited Jan 05, 2018 01:26PM) (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4116 comments Mod
I am probably the only person that actual liked Humbold’s Gift but even so, I had to say it was the worst book when compared to others. I don’t even know if I can explain why I liked it, but I did.

When I rated it, I gave it 4 stars.


message 13: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kristel wrote: "I am probably the only person that actual liked Humbold’s Gift but even so, I had to say it was the worst book when compared to others. I don’t even know if I can explain why I liked it, but I did...."

I didn’t hate it. It actually grew on me. But I did hate Henderson


message 14: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4116 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Kristel wrote: "I am probably the only person that actual liked Humbold’s Gift but even so, I had to say it was the worst book when compared to others. I don’t even know if I can explain why I like..."

I haven’t read Henderson yet. I am afraid to.


message 15: by Jen (new)

Jen | 1608 comments Mod
Kristel wrote: "Jen wrote: "Kristel wrote: "I am probably the only person that actual liked Humbold’s Gift but even so, I had to say it was the worst book when compared to others. I don’t even know if I can explai..."

He also wrote The Victim, right? I really liked that one.


message 16: by Kristel (new)

Kristel (kristelh) | 4116 comments Mod
Jen wrote: "Kristel wrote: "Jen wrote: "Kristel wrote: "I am probably the only person that actual liked Humbold’s Gift but even so, I had to say it was the worst book when compared to others. I don’t even know..."
Yes, I haven’t read it.


message 17: by Tracy (new)

Tracy (tstan) | 558 comments I read Herzog ages ago, and thought it was okay.
What I love about this list is how we, as a group, liked the books we did- especially when we weren't sure that we would.
Infinite Jest and Legend, for example, were books that came with apprehension (and one really ugly cover), but they were two of the favorites this year. How cool is that?


back to top