Amazon Kindle discussion

Book Related Banter > January, 2018 What are YOU reading?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (new)

John | 255 comments This is a continuation of the monthly "What are you reading" discussion that Michael started in the Amazon Kindle forum. This great discussion group has been enjoyed by so many .

"Here's how this works - list a book you are currently reading or just recently read on your Kindle (insert the product link by clicking add book/author above the text box so others can find it), whether you would recommend it, did you get it free, and anything else you would care to share.
And here's the standard continuation of each month's request for prior participants in the poll: if you like or dislike a title you have read, in addition to telling us about it in this informal poll, how about writing a book review on the Amazon website? The review will certainly last and be visible a lot longer than this poll will. If you're like me, you look at the customer reviews in order to see if you want to investigate a book further. Since we are all a little community here, and while I realize each review is each person's opinion and we may not like the same thing, I know your friends and online discussion neighbors would appreciate your honest assessment of the likes and dislikes without providing a spoiler - I know I would! Your reviews don't need to be a long dissertation of the book, I like to keep them short, sweet, and (hopefully) to the point.

Many thanks to Michael for starting this thread and for all the posters who keep it going. I know I have found many an enjoyable book from this thread.

Authors should NOT use this discussion group to advertise their books. There are other discussion groups for that purpose.

message 2: by John (new)

John | 255 comments To start the year, I finished DESTROYER (Destroyer) by Chris Fox. This is a typical space opera with the human race fighting alien invaders. The main difference is that those helping the humans are sentient, technically advanced felines. I guess it takes all kinds to populate the universe. This one is good for three stars.

From space to ancient archaeology, I have started James Michner's THE SOURCE (The Source).

message 3: by Toni (new)

Toni Moore (goodreadscomtoni_moore) | 4 comments Hope you enjoy "The Source." One of my favorite books ever, primarily because the setting & archaeology. James Michener was a great storyteller, in my opinion.

message 4: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments Gwendy's Button Box

A short story that was interesting and did not have as much horror as most Stephen King books.

message 5: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 426 comments Toni wrote: "Hope you enjoy "The Source." One of my favorite books ever, primarily because the setting & archaeology. James Michener was a great storyteller, in my opinion."

until towards the end of his writing career. I read all the books up until Texas and couldn't make it through that one or any later ones.

Chesapeake was especially interesting to me because I was born very close to where it was set, a lot of my family lived close to there as well and most of the characters could have been my ancestors (slaveowners and abolitionists as well as farmers and plantation owners plus Quakers)

message 6: by Lola (new)

Lola | 5 comments I wrapped up Peace Like a River as my last read of 2017 and loved it. Home Fire is my first book of 2018.

(Lonbeehold on the old forums)

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Oksana | 3 comments Hello guys I'm a 21 year old Law student currently obtaining my degree from the University of London. However in my sparetime I enjoy indulging in the mind of the readers through writing. I have a love for true crime stories also myths. I was inspired by a number of events I've watched , read and learned over the years. Here is the synopsis of my first book in this series.

Vermont is a supernatural/crime fiction based in a town called Unknown where the population is full of mystical creatures and there's no human existence. When a young New Yorker Diana McKenzie mysteriously gets turned into a vampire she meets an ancient woman called the Voodoo Queen who guides her to the Unknown town and helps her through her new fate. As Diana gets familiar with the strange town she bonds with a revolutionary detective to help solve a gruesome crime. This book is available on Amazon & Kindle Vermont

message 8: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 426 comments Sarah wrote: "Hello guys I'm a 21 year old Law student currently obtaining my degree from the University of London. However in my sparetime I enjoy indulging in the mind of the readers through writing. I have a ..."

you missed this bit in the first post, right?

"Authors should NOT use this discussion group to advertise their books. There are other discussion groups for that purpose. "

message 9: by Loriltx (new)

Loriltx | 19 comments Finally read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. Very good read despite many tears shed throughout.

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth Roberts | 181 comments Just finished The Treatment by Mo Hayder, second in the Jack Caffery series.

I've decied to devote much of 2018 to hopefully knock at a few of the hundreds of series I have backlogged. But of course, like all well-intentioned resolutions, I'm sure it won't last.

message 11: by Cameron (last edited Jan 03, 2018 06:40PM) (new)

Cameron | 11 comments Just finished Little Fires Everywhere

It’s an awesome book.

message 12: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments Mortal Prey

Great series, great book. The "one that got away" is back and Davenport is determined to close the case this time!

message 13: by Mary (new)

Mary Ellen | 14 comments I've put the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews on hold for a bit. I finished Victoria: The Queen: An Intimate Biography of the Woman Who Ruled an Empire that I picked up on sale last week. I enjoyed this biography and learned much about Queen Victoria. I've started a series that I bought in a bundle: The Study Series Bundle and I'm enjoying the story so far.

message 14: by Dolichotis (new)

Dolichotis (tollpatsch) | 1 comments One of Us Is Lying is my first book in 2018. Already half way through and can't wait to continue!

message 15: by C. (last edited Jan 06, 2018 07:27PM) (new)

C. | 70 comments I enjoy Amish-Themed Fiction, and just started this Amish -themed Mystery. Looking forward to getting into it deeper. It's by an author who is 'new to me..
ETA: I'm at 72% and loving it!

Secrets Come Home (Ettie Smith Amish Mysteries #1) by Samantha Price

and also by another 'new-to-me-author', and another Amish-themed~ A Plain & Fancy Christmas by Cynthia Keller

message 16: by Motherbeaver (new)

Motherbeaver | 5 comments Cameron wrote: "Just finished Little Fires Everywhere

It’s an awesome book."

I so agree! I'm only 1/2 way through, but it hooked me from the very beginning. Celeste Ng is a wonderful writer.

message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 55 comments Reading The Island of Doctor Moreau for a horror poetry project.

message 18: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 266 comments The burning wire. Finished a bookshop on the corner. Very good audiobook

message 19: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis

I thought the story was wonderful. I do understand people who think the last two books seem different from the original ones. I think authors should be allowed to grow too, and I enjoyed this one just as much as some of the early ones.

message 20: by Jan (new)

Jan | 113 comments I just finished The Alice Network. It was a good read about women who were spies during WWI.
Now reading Pachinko. So far so good.

message 21: by R B Milroy (new)

R B Milroy | 6 comments There was a book I'd been wanting to read but I'm balking at the $15 Kindle price tag. I'd resigned myself to paying $10 but I just can't take this step.

message 22: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 426 comments R B Milroy wrote: "There was a book I'd been wanting to read but I'm balking at the $15 Kindle price tag. I'd resigned myself to paying $10 but I just can't take this step."

If it was the next Patrick Rothfuss book in his trilogy or the next Game of Thrones book, I'd be willing to pay $20.00

And to keep on target, I've finished:

Proof of Life - which was good just like I expected
and
Yes, Chef which was excellent and not about Gordon Ramsey (only mentioned in the book as calling the author a black b**t*rd)
and
Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich which was interesting but rather outdated
and
The Nature of the Beast and Glass Houses by Louise Penny (the last one was rather disjointed)
and
Shadowrise the third book in the Shadowmarch series which leads me to the books I am currently reading:

Shadowheart - this book has a jagged right margin unlie the rest of the books in the series and it's driving me bonkers
and
Chesapeake by Michener. - this one is special to me as it's set a few miles from where I was born and I see all my ancestral types in it.
and
Kushiel's Dart - which had a bit too much sadomachoism in it for me, but is getting a bit better as I read it.
and
William Styron, The Collected Novels: Lie Down in Darkness, Set This House on Fire, The Confessions of Nat Turner, and Sophie's Choice - I've managed to reach the 25% point on this one finally

message 23: by Suze73 (new)

Suze73 | 187 comments I finished The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. It was excellent, definitely deserving of the Pulitzer Prize it won. 5/5 stars. I was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and wanted a deeper understanding of cancer than I could get from the usual medical websites that cancer patients are directed to. This book delivered. I highly recommend it.

After that I wanted a lighter read, so I chose Nora Roberts’ Whiskey Beach. It was an enjoyable romantic suspense novel. 4/5 stars.

Next I read another romance, Mary Jo Putney’s Never Less Than a Lady. It was a good historical romance, part of her Lost Lords series. 4/5 stars.

After that, I was ready for something more substantial, so I started Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout. Nope! I got two chapters in and found it too depressing for me right now. I’m sure it’s an excellent book, just not the right one for me at this time.

I’m now in the middle of The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

message 24: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments Breathe the Sky: A Novel Inspired by the Life of Amelia Earhart

It was an interesting book, not great. I learned many new things about Amelia Earhart.

message 25: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments Bury Your Dead

I like this series, but this book and the last one were kind of depressing. Still great writing and interesting mysteries.

message 26: by John (new)

John | 255 comments Finished Tom Clancy's POWER AND EMPIRE (Power and Empire) written by Marc Cameron. This is a loaner from FLP. Not a bad story, but the Jack Ryan, Jr. series seems to have fallen into a rut. Junior almost gets into trouble but the Campus team bails out the president's son. John Clark's judgement and physical capabilities are rapidly deteriorating, but he is still doing his secret agent field work. This one rates about 3.5 stars.

DUEL IN THE DARK (Duel in the Dark) book 1 of Jay Allen's Blood on the Stars series is next in line.

message 27: by Loriltx (last edited Jan 20, 2018 07:50AM) (new)

Loriltx | 19 comments Finished Manhattan Beach. Read this at the strong recommendation of a friend. I was not as enamoured with it as he was but it was good if you like mobster fiction. I am 25% into A Gentleman in Moscow and can tell I am going to love it. This author’s book Rules of Civility was also a great read.

message 28: by Cameron (new)

Cameron | 11 comments Just finished Station Eleven and The Wife Between Us.

I have been meaning to read Station Eleven years and just recently found myself determined to read it. It’s great.

“The Wife Between Us” is in the psychological thriller genre which is one of my favorites and it was a good read as well.

message 29: by Carol (new)

Carol | 1 comments Finished The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness. I cannot recommend it. I usually like books about animals and biology, but not this one. Can't figure out how it got so many high ratings.

Might read Eat, Pray, Die, which I think was a Prime 1st novel.

message 30: by Jan (new)

Jan | 113 comments I loved Station Eleven even though it is not my usual genre! A Gentleman in Moscow was also a favorite.
I recently finished Pachinko and The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates. Both were 5star reads for me.
Now I'm trying Grant. It will probably take 6 months to read! I loved Alexander Hamilton.

message 31: by John (new)

John | 255 comments Finished DUEL IN THE DARK (Duel in the Dark) by Jay Allen. This is a space opera which basically boils down to a battle of minds between two space battleships over a tritium collection facility in deep space. Three stars.

Next up is CAPITAL STARSHIP (Capital Starship) by Scott Bartlett. This is a KOLL selection for this month.

John

message 32: by Loriltx (last edited Jan 23, 2018 05:22PM) (new)

Loriltx | 19 comments Just finished A Gentleman in Moscow. This is one of the top 5 books I have read in my lifetime (I’m 61). I laughed, I cried, I read and reread passages because they were so beautiful or so thought provoking. And to think I put off reading this because the premise seemed so boring!

message 33: by C. (last edited Jan 24, 2018 02:11AM) (new)

C. | 70 comments R B Milroy wrote: "There was a book I'd been wanting to read but I'm balking at the $15 Kindle price tag. I'd resigned myself to paying $10 but I just can't take this step."

Did you check to see if your library has the Kindle Edition to borrow?

I'm just starting~ The Time Travel Trailer by Karen Musser Nortman

message 34: by R B Milroy (new)

R B Milroy | 6 comments I did not. Great idea, thank you!

message 35: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments The Road to Alexander

A great combination of history, romance and time travel. More books in the series which I will add to my wish list.

message 36: by Suze73 (new)

Suze73 | 187 comments I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I liked it, but I didn’t love it as much as other readers. It felt very odd to me to combine the atrocities of WWII with a lighthearted romance filled with humor and quirky characters. I realize I’m an outlier in not falling in love with it.

Now I’m starting The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. It’s a Booker Prize winner. It will be the first book I’ve read by Atwood.

message 37: by C. (new)

C. | 70 comments Re: R.B. Milroy, You are very welcome. My small city of 67,000 has an awesome public library, where it seems almost every book that I look up in their online card catalog also has a Kindle edition!

So what I don't get free with my Kindle Unlimited subscription, I'm able to borrow from my library. :D

message 38: by John (new)

John | 255 comments Finished CAPITAL STARSHIP (Capital Starship) by Scott Bartlett, a KOLL selection for this month. This is a space soap opera, with the space portion being the first and last 25% and the soap opera being the middle 50 %. Envision a super-carrier space vehicle built around a civilian complex complete with a university, parks, and shopping centers. Add several different alien species, all sentient, and the ship captain is caught between a rock and a hard place. Three stars for this one.

Next in line is W. E. B. Griffin's DEATH AT NUREMBURG (Death at Nuremberg) the next installment in his Clandestine Operations series.

John

message 39: by Margaret (new)

Margaret Standafer | 4 comments Suze73 wrote: "I finished The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I liked it, but I didn’t love it as much as other readers. It felt very odd to me to combine the atrocities of WWII with..."

Suze73, I felt the same way about The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society, almost like there was something wrong with me because I didn't love it! There were things I enjoyed, I guess the epistolary style just didn't really click with me.

message 40: by R B Milroy (new)

R B Milroy | 6 comments "Next in line is W. E. B. Griffin's DEATH AT NUREMBURG "

I really like Griffin's writing, I even bought the Corps & Men At War series (again) for my Kindle so I can read the stories again.

I just can't get into his son's writing...

message 41: by Jan (new)

Jan | 113 comments I just finished Glass Houses. I so enjoyed my visit to Three Pines!!
I'm now starting The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve.

message 42: by Jan (new)

Jan | 113 comments I just finished Glass Houses. I so enjoyed my visit to Three Pines!!

message 43: by Jan (new)

message 44: by CinCO (new)

CinCO | 54 comments Purple Hibiscus

It was amazing! A coming of age story set in Nigeria, written by a Nigerian author. I learned many things about the plants, animals and families there.

message 45: by CBRetriever (new)

CBRetriever | 426 comments Finished:

Shadowheart - this book had a jagged right margin unlike the rest of the books in the series and it drove me bonkers, but the book was a satisfying end to the series
and
Chesapeake by Michener. - this one was special to me as it's set a few miles from where I was born and I saw all my ancestors in it: plantation owners, abolitionist Quakers, solid middle class folks, soldiers on both sides of the Civil War and those who fought in the American revolution
and
Kushiel's Dart - which had a bit too much sadomasochism in it for me, but it did get better towards the end. I don't intend to get any more books in the series, though.
and
Tortured Souls: The Legend of Primordium which didn't impress me (it came as part of a Humble Bundle)
and
My Man Jeeves and Right Ho, Jeeves which were funny
and
The Shark which i bought from a set of books that Amazon sent me a code for (free) - didn't impress me either and I also won't be getting more in this series
and
The Jewels of Aptor which was interesting
and
The Corinthian = funny and entertaining like most Heyer books
and
The Pilgrim of Hate = excellent read

Long weekend due to a holiday and three days of no work due to Houston's ice storm led to lots of reading time

message 46: by Jan (new)

Jan | 113 comments CinCO wrote: "Purple Hibiscus

It was amazing! A coming of age story set in Nigeria, written by a Nigerian author. I learned many things about the plants, animals and families there."

Thanks for the heads up on Purple Hibiscus. I just bought it! I enjoyed this author's Americanah.

message 47: by John (last edited Jan 29, 2018 05:56AM) (new)

John | 255 comments Finished DEATH AT NUREMBURG (Death at Nuremberg) by W. E. B. Griffin, a loaner from FLP. This is about the search for leaders of the ODESSA, a secret society charged with getting high ranking Nazi's out of harm's way, after WWII. This one only gets four stars because it does not end, it just sort of coasts to a stop, with the reader fully expecting to see "tune in tomorrow".

Clive Cussler's TYPHOON FURY ( Typhoon Fury), another loaner from FLP is next on the list.

John

message 48: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 41 comments I finished Scrooge and Marley (Scrooge and Marley) by Karl F. Hollenbach. Now I’m starting Infestation (Infestation) by William Meikle.

message 49: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Tsetsi (kristentsetsi) | 2 comments I just finished Elizabeth Marro's Casualties, and I recommend it. But please don't read the blurb - it includes a spoiler. What it's about: a woman's son returns from Iraq, damaged. And - go.

message 50: by Jan (new)

Jan | 113 comments I recently finished several good books . All were 4-5stars.

The Stars Are Fire by Anita Shreve. I've read several of her books and really enjoyed this one.
Next was a WWII set in Italy, The Garden of Letters.
Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate was slow to get into but i really liked it. Based on true events about the Tennessee Children's Home.
Now I'm reading Sing, Unburied, Sing. It is the National Book Award Winner for 2018.