Nora Roberts Groupies discussion

Blue Smoke
This topic is about Blue Smoke
Book Discussions > Blue Smoke - Book of the Month - January 2018

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 5644 comments Mod
Reena Hale grew up with an intimate knowledge of the destructive power of fire. When she was a child, her family's restaurant was burned to the ground, and the man responsible was sent to jail. The Hale family banded together to rebuild, and Reena found her life's calling. She trained as a firefighter and then as a cop, always with the end goal in sight: to become an arson investigator. Now, as part of the arson unit, she is called in on a series of suspicious fires that seem to be connected-not just to each other, but to her. And as danger ignites all around her, Reena must rely on experience and instinct to catch a dangerous madman who will not stop until everything she loves has gone up in smoke.

message 2: by Erin (new)

Erin (tesserin) | 169 comments FYI for those who love reading books & then watching the movie based on said book, this one is a movie. Alicia Witt stars as Reena Hale & it was released in 2007. I watched it on Lifetime a few years ago. It was pretty good. I need to read the book now to see how accurate the movie was lol

message 3: by Jonetta (new) - added it

Thanks, Erin! I like Alicia Witt and will look for it after reading the book.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 551 comments Love the book and the move was not as good as the book but it was okay 👌🏾

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 61 comments I am not a fan of how Lifetime trying to transfer Nora’s books into TV Movies.

I seen a couple of the movies that were adapted from Nora’s books. The Alaska story was okay. Angel Falls was okay.

But the other books that were adapted were awful not watchable. Especially Birthright. It was horrible and not watchable.

message 6: by Jonetta (new) - added it

I’m not a fan of the movies, either. Maybe this will be different.

Talya | 718 comments Mod
I liked the movie a bit better than most other Lifetime adaptations. I might have been a bit biased because Alicia was pretty close to how I pictured Reena, and Talia Shire (who I was named after) played the mom Bianca :-D

message 8: by Karen ♐ (new) - added it

Karen ♐ (kmk1214) | 324 comments I've been wanting to read this one for a while.

message 9: by Vicki (new)

Vicki (vickiguardianofthewraiths) I'm in for this one

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) I will be in for this one.

Sarah Smith | 7 comments read this one, it is fantastic!

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments I'm in too. I thought the "Blue Smoke" movie was one of the better adaptations of a Nora book. I still remember the basic plot of the movie, which is bad because that could spoil the book for me.

Barbara "Cookie" Serfaty Williams (goodreadscomcookiew1801) | 551 comments It won't because the movies leaves a lot of information and a lot of detail out

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (tesserin) | 169 comments I know the movies have to put the Hollywood spin on the book but I thought some of the movies, like Sanctuary, were good on their own, regardless of how closely they did or didn’t follow the book. But I will say I saw A Walk to Remember after I read the book & one particular scene made me mad bc I felt it was added purely to make the film “Hollywood-worthy.” It’s hit or miss I suppose

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments Has anyone read the book yet? I'm starting it tomorrow.

message 16: by Mara (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mara Pemberton (marapem) | 61 comments I read/listened to the book years ago. I really enjoyed it. I saw the movie on Lifetime Channel some years later. I really enjoyed it, and I am an Alisha Witt fan. A few of Nora Roberts's books that were made into movies by the Lifetime Channel weren't bad. Angels Fall wasn't a bad adaptation, Nothern Lights nor was Montana Skies. Tribute and High Noon were terrible adaptations. I can't say anything about Sanctuary, Carolina Moon, or Midnight Bayou because I never watched them.

So_Many_Books (so_many_books_so_little_time) | 11 comments Reading In Death Series. Just starting Blue Smoke now ❤️

Shannon (pinkfrenchgirl) | 70 comments I finished this a few days ago. It was a re-read for me. I remembered who the bad guy was, but that didnt matter to me...I still loved it and I feel like I liked it better this time around. I really have always loved it when Nora does great secondary characters, and this one with all of Reena's family did that perfectly. One of my favorites now.

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) Looks like I won't get this read until February :-( I should have just gone to the used book store and bought it. So be it.

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 164 comments I read this book last year and really loved it. I wasn't aware it was made into movie - I'll see if I can get my hands on it.

Anita (anitanodiva) | 1217 comments Barbara "Cookie" wrote: "It won't because the movies leaves a lot of information and a lot of detail out"

Cookie is right, the book has a lot more detail than the movie, and I thought the movie was really good, but the book is fantastic.

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) Just got my book yesterday! So I will possibly start on it tonight. I read it a few years ago, but I remember enjoying it.

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) Almost a hundred pages in and loving it again. So glad I am re-reading it. Good choice.

Nikki ♥ | 283 comments I finished about a week ago. I really liked it. It's in my top 5 favorites of Nora's.

Jennifer, Just beyond normal ♑ (jenniferjustbeyondnormal) Finished up! Great book!