The Next Best Book Club discussion

Fun and Games > Review of 2017

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (barbaradelsol) Review of my reading in 2017:

50 books read

3 of which were diet/nutrition books

4 factual books - can recommend Remnants of a Distant Past - A New Theory to Explain the YFO Phenomenon - Ken Jeremiah

5 were re-reads

9 were classics (I’m applying that term fairly loosely to cover books written some time ago as well as true classics) - Northanger Abbey (Jane Austen), Consider the Lily (Elizabeth Buchan), the Stillwater Tragedy (TB Aldrich), Madame Bovary, Lois the Witch (Elizabeth Gaskell), Ben, in the world (Doris Lessing), The Old Wives Tale - Arnold Bennett, An Old Captivity - Neville Shute, Contact (Carl Sagan) - Can recommend all of these as thoroughly good reads.

2 complete series - the Ancient Origins series ( I think there’s another of these still being written) - Robert Storey. I like the concept of these but found the 4th one was a bit too much action and not enough story.
and the Land of the Long White Cloud trilogy - Sarah Lark. - loved these. Recommended.

Recommendations from the rest:

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
The Photographers Wife - Nick Alexander
The Siege - Helen Dunmore
The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Mary Ann Shaffer

The ones I didn’t like:

Beloved - Toni Morrison
Cuckoo Song - Frances Harding

Found disappointing - The Postcard - Leah Fleming. She had a fantastic story here but just didn’t develop it as well as she could have.

That totals 35 of my 50. The rest were just pleasant reads, enjoyable but nothing spectacular. I quite like Scott Mariani’s Ben Hope series, I’ve read the 4th in this series this year. Nice, easy read. Good action stories with a historical slant.

Anybody up for comments or sharing your own best and worst of the year?

message 2: by Angela M (new)

Angela M Here are my favorites listed in my 2017 on Goodreads .
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I gave up on a few titles - life’s too short . Not memorable enough to list .