Always Late To The Party discussion

acotar > book discussion (spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by kate (new)

kate  (drawghosts) | 29 comments Mod
another discussion topic, but don’t worry about spoilers.
this is mostly for those who actually prefer knowing things before reading them/just don’t mind spoilers.

(:

message 2: by Zibbernaut (new)

Zibbernaut I'm getting toward the end of this one, I'm about 70% through so she's heading to Under the Mountain, and I must say I don't hate Tamlin yet! I thought I was going to be totally grossed out by his beastly ways (not a big beauty/beast fan) but I found him pretty likeable so far. And I've heard lots of people criticize Feyre for being dumb and making bad decisions... but so far I don't really feel like she is.

Going out on Fire Night was a bad decision, but I got why she did it--only Tamlin had warned her, and she doesn't really listen to him. Lucien gave a much better warning and the fact she left her room a second time made very little sense... but her interaction with Tamlin that night when he bit her I didn't find as offensive as I'd expected to. I've watched a lot of reviews saying how awful it was, and while his bite was obviously not acceptable, she wasn't exactly hating what he was doing. She was pretty into it. And he wasn't super rapey--he was himself enough that he backed off and didn't do anything else to her. Even though it was obvious she wanted him to continue.

What were your thoughts on this scene, guys?

message 3: by kate (new)

Zibbernaut wrote: “I’m getting toward the end of this one, I’m about 70% through so she’s heading to Under the Mountain, and I must say I don’t hate Tamlin yet! I thought I was going to be totally grossed out by his …”

i’m one of those who hated it. in fact, i quit the book at that part hahah
and the bite wasn’t what bothered me, honestly. the ritual was. they basically say the guy “can’t stop” and the girls know what they’re doing when they choose to go…but that takes away their freedom to change their minds. and the whole “can’t control himself” rubs me the wrong way. if they treated it as what it is – rape culture, within the fae culture – i’d be fine, but the book didn’t challenge it in any way and feyre only looked at it as something to be jealous about lol

but the scene itself was hard for me to read because it’s basically the same mechanisms people have been using to romanticize violence /:

that being said, i was liking feyre very much! i didn’t think she was dumb. in fact, saying that, in that scene, could be perceived as victim blaming… no one told her what was happening, tamlin was super vague, so of course she didn’t take the warnings as seriously as she should. and if he was so beastly, he could just go into her room, right? her coming downstairs to eat isn’t really so dangerous, because the whole house is, kind of haha

and pls don’t take this as criticism to you! i hate when people blame whoever likes something they don’t, so i would never do it. just clarifying in case it sounds like i’m reproaching someone hahah

message 4: by Zibbernaut (new)

Zibbernaut I will definitely agree that the 'ritual' part of it was... gross. And random. And I wasn't cool with the rape magic and the girls lining up outside the cave to get chosen. I totally agree that was f*cked up. I don't know enough about faeries to know if they're always depicted as weirdly sexual like that?

Would you ever pick up the book again or did you nope out for good?

message 5: by kate (new)

Zibbernaut wrote: “I will definitely agree that the 'ritual’ part of it was… gross. And random. And I wasn’t cool with the rape magic and the girls lining up outside the cave to get chosen. I totally agree that was…”

yeah, i don’t know if it’s a faerie thing, but it’s definitely a sjm thing…and i’d fine with it if there was something in the text that challenged it.

probably not, it was a little to triggering for me ):

message 6: by Mariana (new)

Mariana (irolenze) | 3 comments I finally finished this (yay still January) and I agree with everything said here. That scene was so out of the blue and unnecessary... It was probably my least favorite part of the book (not that I liked this book much). I didn't get triggered by it at the time but now reading Kate's pov it really puts things into a new perspective... Yickes....

The first part of this book was really boring to me. I understand we had to have it to get a sense of Feyre and Tamlin's "love" for each other but it was just super boring in my opinion. The only part I was really invested in was the final trial when Feyre had to murder the three fairies. I was convinced it would be Alis and her boys...

I didn't like this book... I didn't hate it. But I won't be continuing the series anytime soon... Also if anyone is considering reading this book they should take into account what was said in this thread.

message 7: by Spring (new)

Spring | 30 comments Mod
After reading reviews and the concerts people posted in the "Suggestions" thread before the Jan books were decided, I had stuck this book in my "Will Not Read" shelf because of the rape part of the book. It's interesting reading the comments here since I have not read the book and don't really plan to.

In some societies, rape is an accepted thing. Forcibly taking a woman and then making her a wife is a right of passage in some tribal societies. I feel like the rape thing would be more acceptable if it was acknowledged as just a part of Fae society, just as it is in some traditional cultures. It seems like the author shies away from making it be seen as an acceptable part of the society and makes a violent act seem romantic.

Just my two cents as someone who has not read the book.

message 8: by kate (new)

Eva wrote: “After reading reviews and the concerts people posted in the “Suggestions” thread before the Jan books were decided, I had stuck this book in my “Will Not Read” shelf because of the rape part of the…”

yes! the problem is that feyre is not part of the culture, she’s a human, so she should be able to see it from a different perspective and that could be used to show how messed up it is.

it didn’t even seem like sarah was aware of the problems – which, i guess, it’s true because she has some messed up stuff in other books of her that she still writes as being romantic.

anyway, what a start for the group! haha i was the next book we read is a better one.

message 9: by Zibbernaut (new)

Zibbernaut If anyone's interested I posted a review on my Booktube channel !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeFow...