Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

2018 Plans > New year new me '18 plan

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michele (last edited Jan 18, 2018 12:23AM) (new)

Michele (mmicee) I often buy and borrow books that I don't actually read. I also shy away from good ol' classics. This has to stop! And this challenge will help me to my goal : read books from my physical bookshelf and read more classics!
The 2018 List

1. A book with the letters A, T & Y in the title
Lady Midnight
2. A book from the first 10 books added to your To Be Read list American Psycho
3. A book from the 2017 Goodreads Choice Awards
Lord of Shadows
4. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #1 Earth
City of Ashes
5. A book about or inspired by real events
The Diary of a Young Girl
6. A book originally written in a language other than English The Metamorphosis
7. A gothic novel Frankenstein
8. An "own voices" book* The Hate U Give
9. A book with a body part in the title
The Handmaid's Tale
10. An author's debut book To Kill a Mockingbird
11. A literary fiction Lord of the Flies
12. A book set in Africa or South America
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency
13. A book with a plot centered around a secret
Fifty Shades of Grey
14. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #2 Fire
Fahrenheit 451
15. A book with an unique format/writing structure
The Book Thief
16. A narrative nonfiction
Angela's Ashes
17. A book you expect to make you laugh
Catch-22
18. A book with a location in the title
Pohjois-Korea: Siperiasta itään
19. A book nominated for the Edgar Award or by a Grand master author Firestarter
20. A book rated 5 stars by at least one of your friends
City of Glass
21. A book written in first person perspective
The Bell Jar
22. A book you have high expectations or hope for
Somebody Else's Kids
23. A medical or legal thriller
Shutter Island
24. A book with a map
Gulliver's Travels
25. A book with an antagonist/villain point of view
A Clockwork Orange
26. A book with a text only cover
The Casual Vacancy
27. A book about surviving a hardship
Memoirs of a Geisha
28. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #3 Water
Watership Down
29. A book with a "Clue" weapon on the cover or title
And Then There Were None
30. A short book
Animal Farm
31. A book set in a country you'd like to visit but have never been to Empress Dowager Cixi: The Concubine Who Launched Modern China
32. An alternate history book
The Plot Against America
33. A book connected (title, cover, content) to a word "born" in the same year as you The Mockingbirds
34. A suggestion from the AtY 2018 polls
The Little Prince
35. A book featuring a murder
Hercule Poirot's Christmas
36. A book published in the last 3 years (2016, 2017, 2018) by an author you haven't read before
Every Heart a Doorway
37. A Women's Prize for Fiction winner or nominee
We Need to Talk About Kevin
38. A science book or a science fiction book
Slaughterhouse-Five
39. A book with a form of punctuation in the title
P.S. I Love You
40. A book from Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime list 1984
41. A book by an author with the same first and last initials City of Fallen Angels
42. A book that takes place on, in, or underwater
Life of Pi
43. A book with a title that is a whole sentence
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
44. A ghost story
The Woman in Black
45. A book that intimidates/ scares you
The Three Musketeers
46. 4 books linked by the 4 elements: Book #4 Air
When Breath Becomes Air
47. A book where the main character (or author) is of a different ethnic origin, religion, or sexual identity than your own Milk and Honey
48. A book related to one of the 7 deadly sins
Pride and Prejudice
49. A book from one of the Goodreads Best Books of the Month lists Fangirl
50. A book with a warm atmosphere
Anna and the French Kiss
51. An award-winning short story or short story collection Night Shift
52. A book published in 2018
Queen of Air and Darkness
Let's go!

message 2: by Hannah (new)

Hannah | 120 comments Yay! 2018 is finally here!! Happy New Year, looks like you'll have a good one. Love your choices! Good luck with your challenge!

message 3: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Hannah wrote: "Yay! 2018 is finally here!! Happy New Year, looks like you'll have a good one. Love your choices! Good luck with your challenge!"

Thank you and happy new year! I am really looking forward to reading at least half of these haha ;)

message 4: by Tracy, Constellation Mod (new)

Tracy (tracyisreading) | 2542 comments Mod
Your plan looks great! Enjoy your year of reading :-)

message 5: by Emily (new)

Emily (momoftwins89) | 59 comments American Psycho is a hard one to get through. I ended up having nightmares for two weeks after I finished reading it. Happy reading! 😊

message 6: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Emily wrote: "American Psycho is a hard one to get through. I ended up having nightmares for two weeks after I finished reading it. Happy reading! 😊"

Oh boy sounds like it is going to be straight up my alley :D

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3489 comments You have some fantastic books here! I especially love Frankenstein - hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

message 8: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Jody wrote: "You have some fantastic books here! I especially love Frankenstein - hope you enjoy it as much as I did."

I have been meaning to read it for years now! But somehow I have always gotten distracted with something else...

message 9: by Karen (new)

Karen | 30 comments Wow! I've read a bunch of these and they were all really great. I particularly liked Somebody Else's Kids! I'll have to check out some of your other choices because it looks like with have similar taste.

message 10: by Bridget (new)

Bridget | 120 comments Great list! We have a fair few books in common this year (The Bell Jar, The Three Musketeers, We Need To Talk About Kevin).

I was tempted to put American Psycho on the list but was too undecided so, in the end didn't. I would be interested to hear your thoughts :)

message 11: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Karen wrote: "Wow! I've read a bunch of these and they were all really great. I particularly liked Somebody Else's Kids! I'll have to check out some of your other choices because it looks like with have similar ..."

It's always a pleasure finding people withsimilar taste :)

message 12: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Bridget wrote: "Great list! We have a fair few books in common this year (The Bell Jar, The Three Musketeers, We Need To Talk About Kevin).

I was tempted to put American Psycho on the list but was too undecided ..."

Thank you! I will probably write reviews to quite a few of them . If you write reviews for books that we shared, please be kind enough to link them if it's not too much to ask, would love to know what others think of 'em ;)

message 13: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (scharle4) | 94 comments You have a great list! Good luck and Happy Reading this year. :)

message 14: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Stephanie wrote: "You have a great list! Good luck and Happy Reading this year. :)"

Aw thank you! And right back at ya ;)

message 15: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 336 comments I'm a big fan of reading the classics. I have a list of 100 classics that I've been reading for a few years now. I've discovered that I really enjoy a lot of them, I can't stand others, and there's really no way for me to know which way I'm going to go until I'm halfway through. Hopefully you'll love some of those on your list!

Also, the Emperess Dowager Cixi was a crazy historical figure. Her jade boat is one of my favorite wastes of government funds.

message 16: by Heather (new)

Heather | 234 comments Are you planning to go in order? I have Firestarter for week 14!

message 17: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Shelley wrote: "I'm a big fan of reading the classics. I have a list of 100 classics that I've been reading for a few years now. I've discovered that I really enjoy a lot of them, I can't stand others, and there's..."
I have a weird relationship with classics,I usually have so many prejudice abot them and thus shy away yet some of my favourite books are classics like The Great Gatsby and Hamlet. But this year I will push myself to get over the prejudice and just read :)
About the Empress, once I saw the book in the bookstore I suddenly knew I had to buy it. I was drawn to it ;)

message 18: by Michele (new)

Michele (mmicee) Heather wrote: "Are you planning to go in order? I have Firestarter for week 14!"

I will try at least to go in order and I picked firestarter at that point because I have to read it at that time for a Stephen King fanclub anyway haha. Two birds with one stone and all..