You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Group Themed Reads: Discussions > January 2018 - 2017 Bestsellers

Comments Showing 1-50 of 91 (91 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments If the two chosen reads are not to your liking, feel free to read something else that was published in 2017 AND appeared on a best seller list.

Please let us know what list they appeared on for information.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during January 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda | 1210 comments I'm going to read The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women. It's been on my to-read list since it came out, the Kindle edition is on sale, and it was on 3 bestseller lists - perfect for this challenge.

message 3: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments I'm thinking of either Origin or Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. I have the second one, but the first would be a bit more of a stretch and I'm sure it will be available at the library.

message 4: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments I've been back and forth on this one. Into the Water is available at my library, but I own Origin and The Alice Network. I think I'll go with The Alice Network, which was #2 on Chapter's bestselling list for 2017.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13261 comments I plan to read Into the Water eventually. I want to read The Alice Network too, so I'll be interested to see what you think, Janice.

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Lara wrote: "I'm thinking of either Origin or Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. I have the second one, but the first would be a bit more of a stretch and I'm sure it will be a..."

It looks like the book was originally published in 2006 so it wouldn't count for the theme.

message 7: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Sarah wrote: "It looks like the book was originally published in 2006 so it wouldn't count for the theme. "

Interesting! I was just going by some bestseller lists, not paying attention to when they were published. I'll take a closer look at my lists and options.

message 8: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I'm hoping to read (audiobook version) Norse Mythology. It made the NY Times hardcover fiction bestseller list in February 2017 in first place. It was also a bestselling audiobook in various online venues I think.

I won't get to it until a little later this month however. I have many of Neil Gaiman's books on my TBR list, but haven't read a single book by him yet. Meanwhile I'm just starting another Gaiman book (American Gods) for YLTO's Favorite Things challenge this month.

message 9: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Cherie wrote: "I finished reading The Dry this morning before I left for work (20 minutes late). It was a totally compelling story. I really was caught up in how the story was presented and could ..."

I'm so glad you loved it!

But... sorry... wasn't it published in early 2016? It's topped best seller lists here for at least two Christmases and a sequal's come out.

message 10: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Unfortunately Cherie, your book doedn't satisfy the criteria for the theme as it wasn't published in 2017.

message 11: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Please note books must be published in 2017 ( original/first publication date) AND appear on a best seller list. Please check publication dates carefully. Different countries and editions have different publication dates but we're going with the original date.

message 12: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19795 comments re The Dry
I am disappointed about the book publish date, but it is not a complete loss. I can use it on my Zodiac challenge for Australia/Australian author. I wish GoodReads would indicate an Original published date in the book information as a requirement. It was actually, first published in 2015, according to the Google link I read. I can only state that the hardback copy I read, was published in 2017, which obviously doesn't count for the criteria for this group read.
I have removed my posts.

message 13: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments It's unfortunate that your book doesn't qualify, Cherie. At least you were able to count it towards your zodiac challenge.

If we were to go by regional publication dates, it would be a bit of a logistical nightmare. You could possibly get into the situation where one book, like The Dry, would qualify for one person yet not for another.

message 14: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19795 comments No, Janice, I just mean that I would like to see when the book was originally published- anywhere - for the first time in the book details information. I do see this for some older books.

I should have known after I saw 57 editions, in the listing, but I did not look until I saw Sarah and Rusalka's posts. I thought the hard copy book I got from my library was the first printing (I couldn't check because I already returned it.). Actually, none of the 57 editions are older than May of 2016, so I really don't know if 2015 is right. I knew that it had been a Reader's Choice book, which I thought meant published in 2017, but found out that this not true because it includes books published in the last three months of the previous year in the voting.

I really am okay about it not counting for the group read. I have plenty of time to read another, if I can get one. The two books chosen just don't appeal to me at this time and I already wasted two others, reading them on December, after I had finished my yearly challenge a month early. Who knew?

message 15: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Glad you can use it for the zodiac challenge Cherie. Normally the "first published date is listed on the page. That's how I saw that Lara's book had been published earlier elsewhere. Odd that this one isn't.

message 16: by Lara (last edited Jan 05, 2018 08:08AM) (new)

Lara | 1426 comments re: original publication date on book information pages--any GR Librarian can add that information, if it wasn't originally.

message 17: by Vicki (new)

Vicki | 998 comments I'm starting Borne today. I borrowed it from the library when I thought it was going to win in the polls but sadly it did not. I don't read much sci-fi partly because I don't like series but I have been looking forward to this one and I think it's a stand alone.

message 18: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Yes Borne is a stand alone although I believe the author has written a couple short stories set in the same universe.

message 19: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1640 comments I read The Alice Network for the January group read. This is the first five-star read for me in a long time. The most interesting part of the story, to me, concerned WWI intelligence gathering by Eve and others in the network, which closely followed real events. I appreciated Kate Quinn’s background notes, and was surprised at how much of the story was true. What a group of gutsy women!

I am still hoping to read Little Fires Everywhere, but am only #5 on 4 copies on the library wait list. It seems a lead time of several weeks is needed for any title remotely popular.

message 20: by Lara (new)

Lara | 1426 comments Okay, I think I'm set now. I did get over half way through a book before realizing that it came out in 2016. now I've started Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Whew!

message 21: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments TrudyAn wrote: "I read The Alice Network for the January group read. This is the first five-star read for me in a long time. The most interesting part of the story, to me, concerned WWI intelligenc..."

I just started The Alice Network which was on the Globe and Mail bestseller list as well as Chapters Indigo (Canadian bookseller).

I'm glad to hear that it's a 5 star read for you TrudyAn. So far, I'm enjoying it.

I've finished Part 1, and am somewhere in the first chapter of Part 2.

The story is told by two alternating POV's and in two different time zones. Eve narrates her story beginning in 1915. Charlie (Charlotte) tells hers after WWII in 1947.

My first impression is that both characters seem to be lost. Eve has a past, and Charlie has an uncertain future. I'm immediately drawn to both of them and I suspect that they will form a relationship that will be healing for both of them.

message 22: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Lara wrote: "Okay, I think I'm set now. I did get over half way through a book before realizing that it came out in 2016. now I've started Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Whew!"

Good choice Lara. Looking forward to hearing what you think of it. I really enjoyed it.

message 23: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments You guys have got me curious about The Alice Network. I'd not heard of it before. Added it to my wishlist.

message 24: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14869 comments I hadn't heard of The Alice Network before, but in the last few days it popped up in ylto a couple of times. I didn't look into it until I read your comments here, TrudyAn and Janice. For some reason I thought it was a thriller, no idea why... But it sounds very interesting, so I added it to my wishlist too.

message 25: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments Lara wrote: "Okay, I think I'm set now... I've started Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman. Whew!"

I'm also reading Norse Mythology. Enjoying it very much so far. About 4 chapters in. My favorite so far is the story about (view spoiler) It's so hilarious! The strange names are a little challenging for me at times. While most of the Gods' names are familiar, many of the objects or animals they own are not. But I enjoy this as well.

message 26: by Tejas Janet (new)

Tejas Janet (tejasjanet) | 3513 comments I'm also now intrigued by The Alice Network.

message 27: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Okay, you guys sold me.

message 28: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Yes I enjoyed that story too TJ. Quite a number of the stories I found humorous and I loved the interactions between Thor and Loki. He seems to have a more playful (Loki) nature in the more traditional folk tales compared to how he is portrayed in the Marvel Avengers series where he's much darker and double crosses people often. I'm guessing they just portrayed a different aspect of him in the films.

message 29: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments To be fair to Loki in the movies, he was/is the Loki who is the comic book character for the past 65+ years. That's a fair amount of time (and writers) for the character to deviate.

So as you say, he's not Loki, Loki from the Norse stories.

I need to read this book this year.

message 30: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments That is true Rusalka. I think the films portray him as the comic did and they have the right to some artistic license. I much prefer the Loki of the Norse stories though. I read a library edition of the book but I've placed it on my kindle wishlist for when it comes up on offer as I really enjoyed it and wouldn't mind revisiting the stories again. Do I remember rightly you saying that Lexx had read it? I knew you hadn't yet.

message 31: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Yeah, Lexx read it as he got it for his birthday last April. He wasn't a huge fan. He said he wouldn't recommend it, but it wasn't a waste of time. So for those of us who aren't as surly, that's probably 3 stars from him.

I am a huge mythology fan however, so I don't really give a shit what he thinks, I'll be reading it!

message 32: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I think that's the thing. If you like mythology and Norse mythology in particular, you're more likely to enjoy it. If you like short stories, you'll enjoy it although all the stories kind of feed in to the next so it feels more like it's a novel especially as many of the characters are the same in the stories. Then if you like Neil Gaiman, I guess that's a done deal. That said, because he is staying true to the original stories, less of his typical writing style comes across I felt but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.

message 33: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments I think that was his problem, it wasn't Gaiman-y enough. Lexx does like mythology too (but is much more critical than me). But he didn't seem to click with this one.

Funnily enough though, I remember him remarking (as he tends to read in the car) on the amusing interactions between Thor and Loki.

message 34: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Yes, if I hadn't already know it was by Gaiman, I wouldn't have been able to tell. Although I'm pretty sure I could with his other books now I'm familiar with his style.

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments I'll be curious as to what you think of it when you get to it.

message 36: by Rusalka, Moderator (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 16861 comments Me too!

message 37: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments I've finished to the end of Chapter 13 in The Alice Network.

So far, the style of this book reminds me of The Nightingale. I hope this is just an early impression, because I wasn't fond of The Nightingale. I'm having a bit of trouble articulating my thoughts on this. For historical fiction, I prefer a more literary approach, especially when it deals with the atrocities of war. Nightingale seemed couched more in the style of a romance. That is the feel I'm beginning to get from this book too. Not a romance, but not literary either.

At 14 chapters in, I'm not sure of the need for Charlie to be (view spoiler) Perhaps it will play more significance later in the book. For now, it seems a bit contrived.

I'm almost at half way, and wishing the story would progress.

message 38: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Oh dear Janice. I hope it picks up for you soon.

message 39: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments Me too. Eve's story is starting to take shape. She already is an interesting character so I'm looking forward to her story. Maybe she'll carry the book.

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13261 comments I bought that book recently, Janice, so I’m not sure what to think about that comment. Lol I loved The Nightingale, but I hate when books really drag. I hope it picks up for you. You are listening to the audio, right? How are you finding the narration?

message 41: by Peggy, Moderator (new)

Peggy (pebbles84) | 14869 comments I enjoyed The Nightingale. I just finished a HF about WWI that I also thought was a bit too romancy/chicklitty, so I think I know what you mean.

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13261 comments Sure, Mikayla! This is the discussion thread for reads that fit the monthly theme. Just read the first comment to know what to do, choose a book that fits the theme, and discuss here.

message 43: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18170 comments Mikayla wrote: "May I join this challenge?"

Off course you can join in. It's not a challenge, but it is the group read. You can either read the two chosen books, Into the Water or Little Fires Everywhere or if you don't fancy those, you can choose any other book published in 2017 that appeared on a bestseller list. Then discuss the book in the relevant thread (here if it's another book in the theme or the other dedicated threads in this folder) and report it to get your badge.

message 44: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments Kristie wrote: "I bought that book recently, Janice, so I’m not sure what to think about that comment. Lol I loved The Nightingale, but I hate when books really drag. I hope it picks up for you. You are listening ..."

If you loved The Nightingale, you'll probably be good with this one.

I'm not overly impressed with the narration. I've never listened to this narrator and I find her voicing of the male parts to be too sultry (for lack of a better word). She seems to have trouble shifting between characters because she carries that same huskiness into female roles a bit especially after she's finished reading a male character. Her accents are atrocious. Perhaps I'm being influenced by her voice more than the story.

I've realized over the last year, that I prefer male narrators which I find surprising.

message 45: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments Peggy wrote: "I enjoyed The Nightingale. I just finished a HF about WWI that I also thought was a bit too romancy/chicklitty, so I think I know what you mean."

I noticed you gave your book 3.5 stars. "Chicklitty" is a good term.

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13261 comments I was wondering about that, Janice. I read somewhere, I think in a review, that the narration wasn’t very good.

I think you need to be careful with narrators. There are plenty of good ones, but I’ve found plenty that cannot voice the opposite sex. They try to go too masculine or feminine and end up sounding almost cartoonish. I think some just don’t understand the subtlety of it and others just can’t make their voice do that. Either way I find it distracting and annoying.

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 13261 comments Mikayla - You can join us in the Little Fires Everywhere discussion here: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 48: by TrudyAn (new)

TrudyAn | 1640 comments Janice wrote: "I'm not overly impressed with the narration. I've never listened to this narrator and I find her voicing of the male parts to be too sultry..."

I’m glad I didn’t listen to this one, then! I’m sorry it is so distracting for you. There is nothing that ruins an audiobook faster for me than the narrator, and especially if it is a male whose female voices sound ridiculously unnatural.

message 49: by Cherie (new)

Cherie (crobins0) | 19795 comments Janice wrote: "I'm not overly impressed with the narration. I've never listened to this narrator and I find her voicing of the male parts to be too sultry (for lack of a better word). She seems to have trouble shifting between characters because she carries that same huskiness into female roles a bit especially after she's finished reading a male character. Her accents are atrocious. Perhaps I'm being influenced by her voice more than the story..."

I looked up the narrator's name, Janice, and I think this is her first book. At least this book is the only one associated with her name in GoodReads. I did not look her up in Audible.

I am listening to Travis' least favorite male narrator in the third Brilliance book right now, and he is "over the top" with some of his character voices. The audio seems very loud, and I keep turning it down.

message 50: by Janice, Moderator (new)

Janice (jamasc) | 48006 comments If you search for her in Audible, Cherie, you will find 13 pages of books that she's narrated.

It's hard for me to listen to books narrated by Luke Daniels because he's the voice of Atticus and Oberon in the Iron Druid Chronicles. I loved his narration, and I'm afraid he's been stereotyped for me. LOL!

« previous 1