You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Little Fires Everywhere
This topic is about Little Fires Everywhere
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > January 2018 - Little Fires Everywhere

Comments Showing 1-50 of 90 (90 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18188 comments One of the group reads for January is Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Kristie will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during January 2018.
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments I'm excited to start this one! I got the Audible version and I'll be starting today. :)

message 3: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments I've just started and here are my initial thoughts:

Through chapter 5 (about 2 hours in): (view spoiler)

TrudyAn | 1645 comments I’m #6 on four copies for the audiobook, so should have it later in the month. I enjoyed Everything I Never Told You, so am looking forward to this book.

message 5: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments I have that one, TrudyAn, but I haven't read it yet. This is the first book I've read by Celeste Ng.

message 6: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18188 comments I really liked her first book. I can't remember what I rated it now but it was well written and thought provoking. I leqrnt stuff i hadn't expected to. I hope that means it will be a good read for you.

Jayme | 2388 comments Having a snow (blizzard) day or days (we will see) is making a positive dent in my reading.
Chapters 1 - 7 (view spoiler)

message 8: by Jayme (last edited Jan 05, 2018 06:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2388 comments Oh My Gosh!
Chapters 8 - 11 (view spoiler)

Off to continue reading... I can't put this book down.

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments I need to listen to more tonight! I’m so exhausted this week that every time I start listening I fall asleep! I don’t think it’s the book either, just me.

Jeanine Even though Ng's first novel Everything I Never Told You was a dark read, I thought it was fantastic. I've heard such good things about her follow up and have high expectations.

message 11: by Jayme (last edited Jan 05, 2018 06:58AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2388 comments What a difference a few chapters make...
Chapters 12 - 14 (view spoiler)

I need to put this book down and take a break from it before I write anything else and continue to read. I really liked Everything I Never Told You and am not feeling the love for Little Fires Everywhere anymore.

message 12: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Uh oh...

message 13: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18188 comments Jeanine wrote: "Even though Ng's first novel Everything I Never Told You was a dark read, I thought it was fantastic. I've heard such good things about her follow up and have high expectations."

I see since you wrote this comment that you've finished the book and rated it 4 stars. What did you like about the book? Did it live up to your expectations?

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Jeanine, you finished already?! I can't wait to see your thoughts. I'm planning to read more today. So far, I'm liking it, but not loving it. I can't wait to get to Jayme's spoilers today! I need to know what is causing her change of heart. Did you enjoy it the whole way through? What did you like about it? Where there things you didn't like?

message 15: by Jeanine (last edited Jan 05, 2018 08:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jeanine Kristie wrote: "Jeanine, you finished already?! I can't wait to see your thoughts. I'm planning to read more today. So far, I'm liking it, but not loving it. I can't wait to get to Jayme's spoilers today! I need t..."

I realize this is fiction, but what I liked best is that Ng kept it real, believable, and grounded. (That was the main problem I had with Big Little Lies as I found it too gossipy and petty.) There were a few points that started to veer off into soap opera land, but she quickly reigned them in. Plus, you have to be prepared for a slow-burn, not a page-turning thriller. Hope you enjoy!

message 16: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments I do think the characters have a real feel to them. I don't particularly like them so far, but I don't really dislike them either.

I'm ok with a slow burn as long as there is a good story. I've read some books that are a slow burn, but they don't go anywhere. I feel it's a waste of my time to read a story that goes nowhere. I have the impression that this one will at least go somewhere.

message 17: by Jayme (last edited Jan 05, 2018 02:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2388 comments Chapters 15 - the end (view spoiler)

Overall the story captivated my interest at first, but I ended up having to suspend all belief that I kept questioning everything towards the end. I was able to use the book for the Year Long Challenge, so that was a bonus.

Jayme | 2388 comments Kristie wrote: "I do think the characters have a real feel to them. I don't particularly like them so far, but I don't really dislike them either.

I'm ok with a slow burn as long as there is a good story. I've r..."

I also like a slow burn as long as I don't have to keep the fire going.

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Jayme wrote: "I also like a slow burn as long as I don't have to keep the fire going."

Exactly!

message 20: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Jayme wrote: "Having a snow (blizzard) day or days (we will see) is making a positive dent in my reading.
Chapters 1 - 7 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 21: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Jayme wrote: "Oh My Gosh!
Chapters 8 - 11 [spoilers removed]

Off to continue reading... I can't put this book down."

I completely agree! (view spoiler)

Now I'm really curious as to why happens next because somewhere in the next few chapters you became disenchanted with the story. I'm so curious what kind of a turn it took to cause that.

Jeanine - What were your thoughts while reading? Were you pulling for Bebe or Linda?

I find it interesting that Mia and Mrs. Richardson (view spoiler)

I'm really curious where this is going.

Jayme | 2388 comments Kristie wrote: "Jayme wrote: "Oh My Gosh!

I completely agree! [spoilers removed]

Now I'm really curious as to why happ..."

Do you know what I've noticed in both of our discussion threads (view spoiler)

message 23: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Jayme wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Jayme wrote: "Oh My Gosh!

Now I'm really curiou..."

I noticed that too. I noticed it when I was typing my comment and I thought (view spoiler)

message 24: by Jayme (last edited Jan 07, 2018 09:11AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2388 comments

Now I'm..."

Your perspective is also spot on even though that is not how I originally thought about it. That is one of the reasons why I like discussing books - I end up taking away so much more than being left to my little ole brain.

message 25: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments I'm on Chapter 12 and would probably be done if I was reading this on my kindle, but since it's a hardcover - it takes me a bit longer! I have enjoyed reading everyone's comments on the book, and when I figure out how to post the spoiler tags - I will post more.

message 26: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 07, 2018 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Jen - For spoilers, just type this:

< spoiler > the text you want hidden goes here < / spoiler >

You just need to remove all the extra spaces between the <>. I added those so it would show up here. Super easy. :)

message 27: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments Awesome! I figured it was something like that. Thanks so much for your help!

message 28: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments No problem! I look forward to seeing your thoughts.

message 29: by Jen (last edited Jan 09, 2018 05:14AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments I just finished Chapter 14 and I almost felt like I was in another story - Mia's unknown background up until this point. (view spoiler)
The beginning of the book seems so long ago now. I'm ready to find what the breaking point was. (view spoiler)

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Jen - You need to remove the spaces for the spoiler tag to work. Could you try it again? Also, the second tag needs a / before the word spoiler.

message 31: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments Kristie wrote: "Jen - You need to remove the spaces for the spoiler tag to work. Could you try it again? Also, the second tag needs a / before the word spoiler."

Ok - Hope that worked.

message 32: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:06PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Huh...nope. Try to just copy and paste this:

<.spoiler.> the text you want hidden goes here <./.spoiler.>

Then, replace the "the text you want hidden goes here" with whatever it is you want to hide.

Then, there are 5 periods to remove. The periods before and after the word spoiler and between the < and /. I just put those in so it won't actually become a spoiler. If you remove the five . and nothing else, it should work. Do not add any spaces.

message 33: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments I finished! I was so surprised by some of the twists. (view spoiler)

Jayme - I find it interesting that we both have different perspectives as to what happened in the story, but I can see how you would view it the way you did. (view spoiler)

message 34: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments Kristie wrote: "Huh...nope. Try to just copy and paste this:

the text you want hidden goes here

Then, replace the "the text you want hidden goes here" with whatever it is you want to hide.

Then, there are 5 ..."

Ok - I think I finally got it... Sorry - Thanks again for the help!

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18188 comments Looks good to me Jen!

message 36: by Jayme (last edited Jan 09, 2018 05:53AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jayme | 2388 comments Krisitie - I was surprised too when (don't read this unless you've read the entire book) (view spoiler)

Jen - chapter 14 (view spoiler)

message 37: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments No worries, Jen! You got it! (view spoiler)

Karen | 8 comments This was the first book I read in 2018 after having it on my ipad for quite awhile. While I was reading it I really liked it and felt that way when I finished it as well. Now with a few days distance from it, I can say I still really enjoyed the book but it really left a lot of loose ends. I did not expect everything to be nicely tied up in a bow but realizing that the book ended and really I'd have liked to know a bit more about (view spoiler)

The book was an interesting reflection on motherhood and being a parent. The choices we make and the effect they can have on the rest of the people in our lives. And as much as I liked the book, it was REALLY far fetched. There is no way in hell that in one group of people all that could have happened...

message 39: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments I must read faster so I can read all your spoilers.... lol

message 40: by Sarah, Moderator (new) - added it

Sarah | 18188 comments You mention loose ends Karen. Do you think there would be room for a follow up novel (I've not read this one so not sure on the events in the book)?

What was it that you liked about the book?

message 41: by Jen (last edited Jan 11, 2018 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments Jayme wrote: "Krisitie - I was surprised too when (don't read this unless you've read the entire book) [spoilers removed]

Jen - chapter 14 [spoilers removed]"

I also thought the same thing. (view spoiler)

message 42: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments I finished this last night. (view spoiler)

I ended up really liking the book. I kinda stalled out in the middle of reading it, but am glad I pursued to the end. There was just so much going on in this book.

message 43: by Sharon (last edited Jan 11, 2018 05:58AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sharon (alynor) | 298 comments I stayed up way past my bedtime reading this. Day off work and I couldn't stop reading so kudos to the author for drawing me in.

This story brought back memories of a roommate in college who was from Shaker Heights and seemed, to me, obsessed with neatness. Now I know why!

I agree that Mia and Mrs. Richardson seem to be set in opposition to each other as characters, although perhaps they represent what the other might have been with different choices made in their college years. (view spoiler)

One plot point I thought was completely unbelievable was (view spoiler)

Jayme | 2388 comments Sharon - That's a great point about Mia and Mrs. Richardson's. I didn't think about that perspective.

Jen - I also had those same questions at the end and am wondering if there is a sequel, or maybe not because some of life's mysteries have no answers.

Karen | 8 comments Sarah wrote: "You mention loose ends Karen. Do you think there would be room for a follow up novel (I've not read this one so not sure on the events in the book)?

What was it that you liked about the book?"

I do think there is room for a follow up. There is a lot more story to tell. I'd love to know what happened after the story ended. Honestly, (view spoiler)

I liked the character development and the pace most of all. There was a lot going on for all the characters, as I have said, yet she really took her time building the story. The synopsis talks about the custody battle but that plot line isn't even introduced until at least 1/4 of the way into the book.

I enjoyed the dynamic between the characters--even if it was a bit simplistic. The book left me wanting more. There are times I finish books and I am just done. This was not one of those times. I'd have read another 400 pages...

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Karen - Can you spoiler tag that last comment please?

message 47: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments I find it interesting that a couple people felt the end was left too open. I generally do not like books with open endings, but I felt she wrapped this one up nicely. There are a couple of open questions, but nothing I felt needed to be explained. I don't need to know what happened to everyone, even minor characters, after the story ends.

I also did not find it very far-fetched. I think the stories were fleshed out enough to make it quite realistic. (view spoiler)

Sharon - I completely agree with your thoughts on Mia, Elena, and Izzy. I thought that (view spoiler)

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments comment from Karen that needed a spoiler:

Sharon wrote: "I stayed up way past my bedtime reading this. Day off work and I couldn't stop reading so kudos to the author for drawing me in.

This story brought back memories of a roommate in college who was ..."

(view spoiler)

message 49: by Jen (last edited Jan 11, 2018 10:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen Griffin | 19 comments Kristie wrote: "comment from Karen that needed a spoiler:

Sharon wrote: "I stayed up way past my bedtime reading this. Day off work and I couldn't stop reading so kudos to the author for drawing me in.

This sto..."

(view spoiler)

message 50: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 13574 comments Oh, I hadn't considered that, Jen. I don't think (view spoiler)

« previous 1