The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
General Chat > Currently Reading? Just Finished? 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,391 (2391 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48

message 1: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2018 03:46AM) (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8618 comments Mod
It's 2018 -- what are you reading??

Our 2017 reads are here:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 2: by Nichola (new)

Nichola (itsshewolf) Just finished The woman in cabin 10 on the 31st Jan. Haven't started anything yet of today maybe tomorrow.

message 3: by Connie (new)

Connie (connier) | 37 comments I just started SALT TO THE SEA by Ruta Sepetys. This is a young adult book about WWII. I just finished THE BLUE HOUR by T Jefferson Parker last night. I have THE GOOD DAUGHTER by Karin Slaughter up next.

message 4: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I am reading Still Life by Louise Penny,
The Madonna of Pisano by MaryAnn Diorio, and I have been struggling with Faithful Place by Tana French.
I would love to begin a new series, but I will wait until Thomas is here and ask for his advice: Tony Hillerman, Nevada Barr, etc.

message 5: by Michelle (last edited Jan 01, 2018 07:22AM) (new)

Michelle | 38 comments My first book of the New Year is The Night Ocean by Paul La Farge.

message 6: by jennsquared (new)

jennsquared | 48 comments my first book is X baby Sure Grafton.

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8125 comments The Late Show The Late Show (Renée Ballard, #1) by Michael Connelly by Michael Connelly

Michael Connelly launches a new series featuring Detective Renee Ballard, who has a great dog Lola. :)

In this story Renee investigates a stolen credit card; a vicious assault on a transgender prostitute; and a multiple homicide in a nightclub. And to fit in with current events, Renee had a fall from grace after accusing a former boss of sexual harassment. (That guy needs to get fired!!!)
Good launch to the series. 3.5 stars

My complete review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 9: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 3 comments Just started The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld & it's hard to put down.

message 10: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Murtha The last mystery I read was one of Phyllis Whitney's for children, Mystery of the Haunted Pool. Great fun! Mystery of the Angry Idol was a childhood favorite of mine, so I wanted to try another.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 62 comments jennsquared wrote: "my first book is X baby Sure Grafton."

RIP, Sue Grafton. You'll be missed.

message 12: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Patrick wrote: "The last mystery I read was one of Phyllis Whitney's for children, Mystery of the Haunted Pool. Great fun! Mystery of the Angry Idol was a childhood favorite of mine, so I wanted to try another."

Phyllis Whitney was one of my favorite writers, and I have read all of books more than once.

message 13: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Kathy wrote: "jennsquared wrote: "my first book is X baby Sure Grafton."

RIP, Sue Grafton. You'll be missed."

I am still very upset about Sue Grafton----a wonderful series, one of my favorites.

message 14: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
My first 2 mystery book of 2018 is -

1. Banquets of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asimov Banquets of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asimov

2. The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon The Winter People by Jennifer McMahon

message 15: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Murtha Skye wrote: "Patrick wrote: "The last mystery I read was one of Phyllis Whitney's for children, Mystery of the Haunted Pool. Great fun! Mystery of the Angry Idol was a childhood favorite of mine, so I wanted to..."

That is very cool! I like her style, it is very pleasant. She gives wonderful pictures of small-town life.

message 16: by Craig (new)

Craig Monson | 75 comments This is about "crime" though no mystery The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent The Heretic's Daughter

I seem to have liked it better than some Goodreaders. My take: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 17: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Bill wrote: "My first 2 mystery book of 2018 is -

1. Banquets of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asimov Banquets of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asimov

2. [bookcover:The Winter Peop..."

I have had The Winter People on my TBR, but your first book sounds very interesting.

message 18: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Patrick wrote: "Skye wrote: "Patrick wrote: "The last mystery I read was one of Phyllis Whitney's for children, Mystery of the Haunted Pool. Great fun! Mystery of the Angry Idol was a childhood favorite of mine, s..."

Yes, I agree; years ago, I was friends with someone whose grandmother was close friends with Ms. Whitney.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (ksales) | 62 comments Skye wrote: "Kathy wrote: "jennsquared wrote: "my first book is X baby Sure Grafton."

I am still very upset about Sue Grafton----a wonderful series, one of my favorites."

Mine, too. I met Ms. Grafton once. She was warm, friendly, and gracious to everyone.

message 20: by Sandy (new)

Sandy | 194 comments Now We Are Dead by Stuart MacBride

A little change of course for this author.
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 21: by Jean (new)

Jean | 257 comments Couldn't quite keep my eyes open to finish this last night, but I read the rest today: The Grave Soul The Grave Soul (Jane Lawless, #23) by Ellen Hart

message 22: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1366 comments I'm reading Haunted by James Patterson.

message 23: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments I'm reading Purple Palette for Murder: A Meg Harris Mystery
It will count towards Northwest Territories, Canada. I am trying to read a mystery from each Canadian province/territory.

message 24: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Murtha I'm reading Len Deighton's first spy novel, The Ipcress File. I like it very much so far. The style is an energetic combination of high literary and Sixties British slang.

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* (sandyj21) | 3979 comments Love New Zealand author Paul Cleave and his latest offering A Killer Harvest by Paul Cleave A Killer Harvest doesn't disappoint. My spoiler free review can be found at sandysbookaday.wordpress.com https://sandysbookaday.wordpress.com/... or

message 26: by Rhian (new)

Rhian (rhianlovesbooksx1f4d6) | 352 comments I'm reading my first Chris Carter book The crucifix killer and love it so far

message 27: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 251 comments Over the weekend i read these
The Eleventh Victim by Nancy Grace I finally read this book i had it for the longest and I really liked it Gonna have to read her others in this series

Shell Game by Carol O'Connell This book wasnt good at all. I found it pretty boring I got it finish but it just wasnt good as i though it would be

message 28: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

I started reading The Accident on the A35 by Graeme Macrae Burnet. I've enjoyed his last two books, The Disappearance of Adèle Bedeau and His Bloody Project: Documents Relating to the Case of Roderick Macrae, so I'm hoping for good things with this one.

message 29: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Kathy wrote: "Skye wrote: "Kathy wrote: "jennsquared wrote: "my first book is X baby Sure Grafton."

I am still very upset about Sue Grafton----a wonderful series, one of my..."

You met her, Kathy, how wonderful!

message 30: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thomas wrote: "I'm reading Purple Palette for Murder: A Meg Harris Mystery
It will count towards Northwest Territories, Canada. I am trying to read a mystery from each Canadian province/territory."

It looks good; it's the 8th in the series; did you read others?

message 31: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Nancy wrote: "I started reading The Accident on the A35 by Graeme Macrae Burnet. I've enjoyed his last two books, The Disappearance of Adèle Bedeau and [book:His Bloody Project: D..."

I just put it on my TBR list. It sounds good.

message 32: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Skye wrote: "Nancy wrote: "I started reading The Accident on the A35 by Graeme Macrae Burnet. I've enjoyed his last two books, The Disappearance of Adèle Bedeau and [book:His Blo..."

The Disappearance of Adele Bedeau was really, really good, but my favorite is His Bloody Project.

message 33: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I will have to search for that.

message 34: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments Thanks, Nancy!

message 35: by Chris (new)

Chris | 239 comments Craig wrote: "This is about "crime" though no mystery The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen KentThe Heretic's Daughter

I seem to have liked it better than some Goodreaders. My take: https://www.g..."

Well I really liked it too!!

message 36: by Chris (new)

Chris | 239 comments I am about halfway through Degree of Guilt by Richard North Patterson

message 37: by Jean (new)

Jean | 257 comments This book has been sitting on my nightstand for nearly four years. With the passing of Sue Grafton, it seems only fitting that I read it now: Kinsey and Me: Stories Kinsey and Me Stories by Sue Grafton .

message 38: by Skye (new)

Skye | 2105 comments I agree, Jean; I have always adored Kinsey Milhone. SOB.

message 39: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 251 comments I will be starting on these now
By the Light of the Moon by Dean Koontz It's a reread for a BOTM on Dean Koontz Group. I read it before but for like of me i cant remember what is about, Then I will start on All Fall Down by Erica Spindler

message 40: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (shannondisbell) | 251 comments Bill wrote: "My first 2 mystery book of 2018 is -

2. [bookcover:The Winter Peop..."

i really loved Winter People. Very good book from her

message 41: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35453 comments I may just try to finish some of my many half-finished books. There are too many of them. And too many books on the floor looking for shelf space.

message 42: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Patrick wrote: "I'm reading Len Deighton's first spy novel, The Ipcress File. I like it very much so far. The style is an energetic combination of high literary and Sixties British slang."

I liked this too

message 43: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5422 comments Mod
Skye wrote: "Bill wrote: "My first 2 mystery book of 2018 is -

2. [bookcover:Th..."

Asimov is known for his sci fi but I've liked his mysteries. This is a series I hadn't heard of before. I'm enjoying so far.

message 44: by Linda (new)

Linda (beaulieulinda117gmailcom) | 1366 comments I finished Haunted and will be starting Killman Creek shortly.

message 45: by Michael (new)

Michael Turashoff (superdaddy) | 56 comments Hello everyone, I hope all my friends had a wonderful Christmas and the Happiest of New Years. I hope the new year brings you love, peace, good health, happiness and many, many great reads.

I am currently half way through "Murder House" by James Patterson and like the other books from Patterson, this one is keeping me turning the pages (actually swiping the pages) at a feverish pace.

I don't think James Patterson has ever disappointed me. What are your thoughts on his works? Can we actually say he is one of the best authors of our time?

If not, who would you say is? Or better yet, who are the 5 greatest authors of our time? I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Anyway, is sooooo blasted cold here in Michigan there is little else to do but read. I do have to say, this is the best kind of reading weather. All I need now is a fireplace and I'd be golden LOL.

message 46: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments Skye wrote: "Thomas wrote: "I'm reading Purple Palette for Murder: A Meg Harris Mystery
It will count towards Northwest Territories, Canada. I am trying to read a mystery from each Canadian prov..."

Skye, I received this book through NetGalley. It is a first for me by this author. I am 56% in and am enjoying it.

message 47: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1485 comments Michael wrote: "Hello everyone, I hope all my friends had a wonderful Christmas and the Happiest of New Years. I hope the new year brings you love, peace, good health, happiness and many, many great reads.

I am c..."

I have stopped reading James Patterson, after reading 17 of his books. His books are produced in an assembly line process, with co authors.
It is 21 degrees, wind chill -7, here in North Tonawanda, New York. There is a blizzard which caused a 75 car accident earlier today. We were returning from out of town and caught in a horrendous traffic backup because of the accident.

message 50: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (cinnabarb) | 8125 comments Macbeth Macbeth by Jo Nesbø by Jo Nesbø

This is Jo Nesbø's updated "Macbeth" - part of the Hogarth Shakespeare series.
In this version, set in a downtrodden European city beset by drug problems, Macbeth is a SWAT officer who murders his way to the office of police department Chief Commissioner. He then wipes out anyone who suspects him of homicide or threatens his power. Pretty true to the original. 3.5 stars

My complete review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 47 48
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.