You'll love this one...!! A book club & more discussion

Into the Water
This topic is about Into the Water
Group Themed Reads: Discussions > January 2018 - Into the Water

Comments Showing 1-50 of 175 (175 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments One of the group reads for January is Into the Water by Paula Hawkins. Please discuss the book in this thread.

Daph will be leading the discussion.

In order to receive a badge you must:
1. have completed the book before or during January 2018
2. discussed it in this thread. Discussion must be more than "I read the book and I liked it". Discussion requires something more substantial and analytical of what you read, for example, thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you, what was your favourite part, was it what you expected it to be like etc. You may also like to review the book and post a link to the review in this thread. Please refer to our group spoiler policy for further information.
3. Report that you have read AND discussed the book in the reporting thread (include a brief summary of what you thought of the book).

General Rules:
1. Please mark your spoilers with the spoiler tags along with mentioning what stage of the book you are at so other's don't get a nasty shock. Chapter numbers/titles are generally best as they are the same across all formats and editions.
2. The book may be combined with the Year Long Challenge, Topplers, and Monthly Challenges.

Happy reading!

message 2: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments I voted for this one and would like to read it. I have placed reservations with the 3 libraries I am a member of. I am not sure I will get it in time though unfortunately as I'm 9th in line for 2 of them and 5th for the other. Fingers crossed but I won't hold my breath.

message 3: by Sandra (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:41PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Book Map (I kept the dates in the chapter that have it. The number after the names are mine)

Libby - 1

PART 1

Jules Abbott (2015) - 1
Josh Whittaker (Monday, August 10) - 1
Jules (Tuesday, August 11) -2
Nickie Sage - 1
Jules - 3
Jules - 4
Lena Abbott - 1
Mark Henderson - 1
Louise Whittaker - 1
Danielle Abbott - 1
Erin Morgan - 1
Jules - 5
Lena - 2
Jules - 6
Jules - 7
Patrick Townsend - 1
Erin (Thursday, August 13) - 2
Jules - 8
Jules - 9
Libby - 2
Nickie - 2
Helen Townsend - 1
Josh - 2
Lena - 3
Jules - 10
Jules (August 1993) - 11
Sean Townsend (2015) - 1
Lauren (1983) - 1
Erin - 3

-------------------------------------------------------------

PART 2

Louise (Tuesday, 18 August) - 1
Sean - 1
Erin -1
Mark
Erin -2
Erin - 3
Lena - 1
Lena - 2
Katie (2015) - 1
Jules - 1
Jules (August 1993) - 2
Helen (2015)
Sean - 2
Lena (Thursday, 20 August) - 3
Erin (Friday, 21 August) - 4
Anne Ward (1920) - 1
Patrick (Sunday, 23 August) - 1
Nickie - 1
Jules - 3
Jules - 4
Nickie - 2
Jules - 5

---------------------------------------------------------

PART 3

Mark (Monday, 24 August) - 1
Jules - 1
Jules - 2
Mark - 2
Lena - 1
Erin - 1
Jules - 3
Erin - 2
Sean - 1
Lena - 2
Jules - 4
Lauren, again (1983) - 1
Sean - 2
Lena - 3
Sean - 3
Lena - 4
Sean - 4
Jules - 5
Lena - 5
Jules - 6
Erin (Tuesday, 25 August) - 3
Helen - 1
Jules - 7
Erin - 4
Jules - 8
Patrick - 1

---------------------------------------------------------------------

PART 4 (Each character has only one chapter in this part)

Lena (September)
Josh
Louise
Nickie (December)
Erin
Helen
Jules (January)
Patrick
Sean

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments I own a copy of this, but I don't think I will be picking it up until later in the month as there are a couple of other books that I want to read, or at least make decent headway on, before I dive into this.

message 5: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. Hello, everyone! I am excited to lead the discussion this month. I really enjoyed Paula's first book The Girl on the Train (I loved the movie too!) so I have high hopes for Into the Water.

I look forward to sharing thoughts and commentary with you all as we begin our read :)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Hi, Daph! I liked her previous book too. It was a page turner for sure. I had my issues with it too, I think I rated it 3 stars. But considering it was her first novel, I am excited to try this one, because she is definitively a good writer.

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Jan 02, 2018 03:09PM) (new)

Lisa (lisathebooklover) | 9244 comments Hi, Daph! I hope you enjoy leading the discussion. I'm sure this book will give us plenty to talk about. I quite liked The Girl on the Train but I wasn't blown away by it by any means. Like Sandra, I rated it 3 stars. It will be interesting to see how I feel about this one. I've heard mixed things about it.

Margo | 9786 comments I have the library book ready to go. I have to finish a couple off and then I will jump in ☺
The Girl on the Train was 3 star for me too, but the hype may have affected my judgement! I have not read anything about this one so my expectations are lower 😉

message 9: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. I am so glad people are willing to give this book a try. I have heard there are many characters in it to try & keep straight lol I am starting the book tonight :)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments I started it last night, and read 37 pages, or 10%. I am still not sure what is going on in here but I am intrigued, I have to admit.

Something I noticed is it will be tricky to mark spoilers. The book has 4 parts, with very short chapters named as the person's POV they are written from, what it means there are several chapters called "Jules", "Lena", etc.

Margo | 9786 comments Sandra, are the parts clearly numbered? That could be a way to go. i'm listening on audio so page numbers are no good to me. it's not even audible, it's borrowbox which doesn't even show %.

someone in another group suggested i should note down who's who as it's a bit confusing with a lot of characters and very short chapters. i listened to about 30min and i am bewildered but intrigued ;-)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments The 4 parts are numbered, but the chapters not.

Writing Dow the names might be a good idea, Margo. I had to pick back a couple of times to remember who was who.

Silver | 467 comments So far I am loving the book (I loved The Girl On the Train). I agree it can be confusing but I really enjoy the technique of the multiple points of view. It is tricky at first keeping track of all the characters and how the are connected/related but I think it will become more clear as the story progresses because much is kept allusive now. I see each of the chapters as an added puzzle piece.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Yes, it is true. At some point we will know all the characters and the story will take better shape. I admit that in audio has to be harder.
I also love short chapters because I seem to read faster that way. Not sure if it is for real or just an impression.

Margo | 9786 comments I'm quite a ways in now and i am getting pulled in. The different POV's are working for me and the plot is becoming much clearer. When i finish part 1 i will share some thoughts.

message 16: by D.L. (new) - added it

D.L. Sandra wrote: "Yes, it is true. At some point we will know all the characters and the story will take better shape. I admit that in audio has to be harder.
I also love short chapters because I seem to read faster..."

I love short chapters too! It definitely feels like I am reading faster & that there's a lot of momentum.

I am doing a character sheet too to keep everyone straight lol

Jeanine After reading Girl on the Train and enjoying it, I eagerly anticipated Hawkins's next novel. The synopsis is quite promising, but it didn't get off to a good start in my opinion.

message 18: by Casceil (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Casceil | 2623 comments I have read the first 50 pages. I am very glad I was warned to take notes. In the early chapters, the author drops tidbits of information about the characters that I found I needed to assemble into a larger picture. I assumed Jules was male until she referred to "her" sister. Later we find out her name is Julia, but she apparently hates to be called that. I find it interesting the way we first see some characters through other characters' eyes. I felt a little like I was playing a game sorting out the relationships between characters.

Silver | 467 comments Margo wrote: "I'm quite a ways in now and i am getting pulled in. The different POV's are working for me and the plot is becoming much clearer. When i finish part 1 i will share some thoughts."

For me shorter chapters go faster because if the next chapter is only four or five pages I feel more compelled to read chapter after chapter than if the next chapter is 20 pages.

Margo | 9786 comments Casceil wrote: "I have read the first 50 pages. I am very glad I was warned to take notes. In the early chapters, the author drops tidbits of information about the characters that I found I needed to assemble into..."

I had the opposite problem. The audio book has several narrators, all female. So far there are at least 2 male characters also read by women which is a bit confusing.

Can anyone tell me if the police officer is male? Is it Erin or Aaron? I can't tell :-/

Margo | 9786 comments Jeanine wrote: "After reading Girl on the Train and enjoying it, I eagerly anticipated Hawkins's next novel. The synopsis is quite promising, but it didn't get off to a good start in my opinion."

Stick with it Jeanine. It all gels. I am glued to it. I think i am near 25% in.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Casceil wrote: "I find it interesting the way we first see some characters through other characters' eyes."

I also thought Jules was a man at the beginning.

We definitively are biased when we read about a character from an especific POV for the first time. It annoys me to see how I believe the character what he/she is saying about X, and then I read things from X's point of view, and get confused about who is right. Why do I believe characters what they say????? :) I have issues with unreliable characters too. I love unreliable characters, but I struggle not to believe them all what they say.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Erin Morgan, is a woman.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Jeanine, what is that you don't like so far? (without spoilers)

message 25: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments How many times do each people have chapters in each section? You could mark spoilers part 1, person name, iteration of person's name appearing. That coukd work.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments That is something we can try, Sarah. I will try to do a plan for Part 1, something similar of what we did for The Woman in White in order of not getting lost. If it works I will do it for the other three parts.

message 27: by Margo (last edited Jan 05, 2018 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Margo | 9786 comments Sarah wrote: "How many times do each people have chapters in each section? You could mark spoilers part 1, person name, iteration of person's name appearing. That coukd work."

I'm not finished part 1 yet Sarah. I count 10 characters that had their own chapters over 23 chapters so far. I think if we just take it by parts it will work. Some tha characters are so interconnected that it would be hard to discuss one without the other.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments I agree about the interconnection of the characters, Margo.

I did a "book map" only for part 1. I will edit my first post in this thread (nothing interesting written there) and post the map in case it is useful for any of you. I don't think it is really useful for audiobooks, though. If it is useful I will do the same for Part 2.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Comment #3, btw.

Jeanine Sandra wrote: "Jeanine, what is that you don't like so far? (without spoilers)"

All the short chapters from multiple character's POVs make it difficult to follow so I can't get absorbed in it. I trust that Ms. Hawkins will bring it all together!

Casceil | 2623 comments Jeanine wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Jeanine, what is that you don't like so far? (without spoilers)"

All the short chapters from multiple character's POVs make it difficult to follow so I can't get absorbed in it. I t..."

At fifty pages in a lot has come together, but the author definitely makes the reader work for it.

Laura (Lclwags) (lclwags) | 528 comments My library just emailed me that my hold is available! I plan to start listening to this as soon as I finish my current book.

Lori Z | 1828 comments I just started this book tonight, and I'm quite intrigued. I enjoyed The Girl on the Train, gave it 4 stars and I'm hoping this one will be just as good. I was a little leery starting it as I've heard mixed things about it, but the more I read, the more it comes together, the more I like it.

I like the short chapter format, I do feel like I read faster and have to agree with Silver, that I feel I can keep reading since its just another 4 or 5 pages. Just wish the chapters would be numbered to make this discussion easier, lol. I do like the idea of the Book Map and think that may work.

I've read through Part 1 Erin Morgan 1. I have the most questions about Mark Henderson. (view spoiler)

Anyway, I'm excited to see where this book and discussion go!

message 34: by Fee (new) - added it

Fee | 232 comments I wasn't sure, if I want to read this right now. I just finished Stillhouse Lake and although I liked it, I feel that I have enough of water in combination with dead people for the rest of the year. Sure, murder mysteries are often unsettling but there is something with this particular theme that perturbs me extremely.

But anyhow, I tried the first few chapters of this book and it seems to be very different from Stillhouse Lake and also very intriguing. So I guess, I'll give it a try. I also mostly enjoy multi perspective narrations even if it might be confusing in the beginning. The book map is a very good idea and I can't wait for the discussions here. :)

message 35: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Jeanine wrote: "Sandra wrote: "Jeanine, what is that you don't like so far? (without spoilers)"

All the short chapters from multiple character's POVs make it difficult to follow so I can't get absorbed in it. I t..."

You say that you trust the author will bring things together but you have already read it so does that mean she pulls it off or she doesn't in your opinion? It's ok if you've finished already, you can still discuss it in here as long as you use spoiler tags.

Karen Rashid | 137 comments I managed to stumble across a copy of Into the Water during a trip to the library yesterday so I thought it was a sign that I should join this group if it isn't too late. I am intrigued by the challenge of the multiple viewpoints.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Great, Karen!

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments I finished Part 1. The story starts to glue, but there are many many questions in my mind. (view spoiler)

And for those of you who have read The Girl on the Train (view spoiler)

Casceil | 2623 comments Response to Sandra's comments on Part I. I've read the first 98 pages, and I still have another 30 pages to go in part one, but I'm recording some comments here so I don't lose track of them. (view spoiler)

Lori Z | 1828 comments I finished Part 1, and while things are starting to be pieced together I still have a lot of questions. Of course, as Sandra said we still have a lot of book left, lol.

My thoughts on Part 1: (view spoiler)

Well back to reading and following the bread crumbs.

Silver | 467 comments Part 1 - after the 2nd Libby chapter (page 93)

(view spoiler)

Mikaleigh Barras | 95 comments I have just started reading this book and it's got me hooked, now I feel like I can't put it down and I have to know what's going on.

message 43: by Annie (new)

Annie | 2 comments I read INTO THE WATER this past June. It would be difficult to give in-depth analysis without spoilers ...

Some have compared it to THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN and found it wanting. I would not. While GIRL was more gripping, the relationships - while messy - were more straightforward. In the end I came away from his on with more because the relationships were more true for me.

Jules' reasons for writing Nel out of her life were just as "real" in the end as in the beginning - regardless of the facts. Lena's hostility has echoes of my own re-engagement with my sister's children 12 years after her death [their father wrote me out of their lives when he got out of prison]. Sean's persistent revision of his personal narrative trying to make "sense" of conflicting memories.

The Jules' first gut reaction of confounded disbelief when an event with existential consequences for her is a non-event for others struck me hardest.

message 44: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Welcome to the group Annie and for jumping straight in to the discussion. I'm not reading the book so I don't know if what you have written are spoilers or not. Have a read of our spoiler policy and how to use the spoiler tags at https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/... and edit your post if it does include spoilers.

message 45: by Annie (last edited Jan 08, 2018 11:24AM) (new)

Annie | 2 comments Not spoilers. At least no more spoilers that you can get from an Amazon blurb. Less than I got from NYT or PW reviews.

I suppose my opening statement was misleading. I meant to say that to do a real in-depth analysis would be hard without spoiler. What followed was, hence, in the vein of "thoughts, opinions, impact it had on you"

message 46: by Sarah, Moderator (new)

Sarah | 18188 comments Ok cool. Feel free to discuss it further in spoilers though if you wish. I'm sure those reading would like to hear your thoughts.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments I finished part 2 yesterday. I am not in my computer right, will be back to read spoilers, answer, and complete the map for part 2 later

Margo | 9786 comments Just finished part 1
(view spoiler)

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments I finished the "map" in message 3. Nobody has used it so far, but it is there in case it comes handy.

Sandra (sanlema) | 9423 comments Annie, I am sorry to hear about your own difficult family history.
I agree it is difficult to discuss the book without giving away the plot. I came here thinking in answer comments about Part 1, but I am kind of confused about where Part 1 ended!

I'll try. Re: all your comments on Part 1 (view spoiler)

Part 2 (view spoiler)

I am still enjoying the extracts from The Drowning Pool.

« previous 1 3 4