Read Scotland 2018 discussion

Group Reads > Jan/Feb Nominations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Forkin (ellen_forkin) | 350 comments Mod
The theme is: Historical Scotland

Read a book about Scottish history - any era, anywhere in Scotland - and add it to your reading challenge. Historical fiction counts.

Nominate a book under this theme for the group to discuss. (Please try to use html so there's no mix ups.) At the end of the week, we'll vote for our favourite...

message 2: by John (new)

John R Since 5 of us (so far) are attempting the Mary, Queen of Scots challenge, my Scottish history nomination is about that unfortunate monarch - In My End is My Beginning: A Life of Mary Queen of Scots by James A. MacKay.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 103 comments Recommending the 1920s written book by John Buchan, mainly because it is on my radar for this year. It deals with the religious struggle in the 17th century.

Witch Wood

message 4: by Susan (new)

Susan Wright | 39 comments For those who have expressed an interest in Robert the Bruce I would suggest Nigel Tranters' The Bruce Trilogy: The Steps to the Empty Throne / The Path of the Hero King / The Price of the King's Peace or at least the first part The Steps to the Empty Throne. It's historical fiction but gives a pretty good insight into the story

message 5: by Ellen (new)

Some great choices so far :)

My nomination is: Joseph Knight from one of my favourite authors James Robertson. A bit of a darker side to Scotland with a mystery rolled into the story.

Keep the nominations coming!

message 6: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (rogue_librarian) | 27 comments I don't know how this one will go over, but I intend to read it this year myself.A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland and The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides Johnson and Boswell's separate accounts of their trip to the Hebrides in 1773.

message 7: by Peggy (last edited Jan 06, 2018 06:26AM) (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 12 comments The Life and Death of St Kilda by Tom Steel The Life and Death of St. Kilda by Tom Steel. I picked it up last year and didn’t get to it.

message 8: by Peggy (new)

Peggy (peggyherself) | 12 comments Ellen wrote: "Some great choices so far :)

My nomination is: Joseph Knight from one of my favourite authors James Robertson. A bit of a darker side to Scotland with a mystery rol..."

This one sounds good, Ellen!

message 9: by Ellen (new)

Peggy wrote: "Ellen wrote: "Some great choices so far :)

My nomination is: Joseph Knight from one of my favourite authors James Robertson. A bit of a darker side to Scotland with..."

I've been saving the Joseph Knight book for a while :) John has just read a book about St Kilda and I remembered tales of little mailboats washing up in Orkney with St Kilda's post in them. It's an amazing place, I can't imagine what life must have been like there.

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen | 14 comments My nomination is Outlander #1 by Diana Gabaldon as it is on my 'to read' list after watching the tv series.

message 11: by Mrs. C. (new)

Mrs. C. | 40 comments Lorna wrote: "I don't know how this one will go over, but I intend to read it this year myself.A Journey to the Western Islands of Scotland and The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides Johnson and Bos..."

I thought of this one, too.

message 12: by Mrs. C. (new)

message 13: by Lorna (new)

Lorna (rogue_librarian) | 27 comments Peggy wrote: "The Life and Death of St Kilda by Tom SteelThe Life and Death of St. Kilda by Tom Steel. I picked it up last year and didn’t get to it."
I visited this beautiful place a couple of years ago. This book would be really interesting.

message 14: by Ellen (new)

The poll is now open (I tried to make it live yesterday but it needed a future date). I've set it for 2 days, today and tomorrow, do you think that's long enough? I can extend it if not...

Some really great choices: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/list/4...

message 15: by Tracy (new)

Tracy Karen wrote: "My nomination is Outlander #1 by Diana Gabaldon as it is on my 'to read' list after watching the tv series."

I've read this, it's fantastic, I definitely recommend it!

message 16: by John (new)

John R Ellen wrote: "The poll is now open (I tried to make it live yesterday but it needed a future date). I've set it for 2 days, today and tomorrow, do you think that's long enough? I can extend it if not...

Some re..."

Hi Ellen - is that the poll now closed and the result decided?

message 17: by Ellen (new)

John - it’s still open. I extended it one day as I was a bit worried about the time difference in different countries. It should end midnight tonight (UK time) - I think! I’ll announce the winning book tomorrow :)