Catching up on Classics (and lots more!) discussion

Alias Grace
This topic is about Alias Grace
Margaret Atwood Collection > Alias Grace - NO spoilers

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melanti | 2384 comments This thread is for background information and general discussion of our January 2018 New School Group Read selection, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood.

Please DO NOT post spoilers in this thread.

Melanti | 2384 comments I'm probably going to be reading this closer to the end of the month.

The waiting list at the library is insanely long for a book that's been out this long but it does seem to be moving fairly quickly. But I'm still looking at anywhere from 2-4 weeks before it's my turn.

Pink | 6554 comments My library eBook says it's available on the 16th January, so I'll start after then.

Teija (neitit) | 9 comments First I wasn't planning to read this but then I read the synopsis and I became intrigued. I have only read The Handmaid's Tale by Atwood and it was for a course at uni. It wasn't the best book I've read but it stuck on my mind so that I actually ended up writing the course essay about it. So I'm eager to see what I think about Alias Grace and whether it is as thought provoking as The Handmaid's Tale was.

message 5: by Sue (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sue K H (sky_bluez) | 3215 comments Melanti wrote: "I'm probably going to be reading this closer to the end of the month.

The waiting list at the library is insanely long for a book that's been out this long but it does seem to be moving fairly qu..."

The waiting list is long because there is a new Netfilx television series based on it so that gave it a lot of new press. My list was long but it came up kind of quick and I read it already.

Melanti | 2384 comments Sue wrote: "The waiting list is long because there is a new Netfilx television series based on it so that gave it a lot of new press. ..."

I think someone mentioned that in the poll discussion thread. It's still an insanely long line, though. I think the waiting period is now close to a year long at the city library! County library is a lot shorter though, since they have more copies.

I'm eager to read it though. I've only read a handful by Atwood, but I've liked them all so far.

message 7: by Katy, New School Classics (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 9558 comments Mod
I have this on my 2018 list to read, so planning to join in this month.

Sarah (sasstel) | 426 comments I read this a few months ago and enjoyed it, though it didn’t compare to The Handmaid's Tale...at least not for me.

message 9: by Susie (last edited Jan 01, 2018 01:12PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Susie | 754 comments I'm listening to an audio version that is really great...so far!

Shirley (stampartiste) | 791 comments I was on a wait list for this book at my library, too, but miraculously it became available a week ago. So I'm ready to start reading it with everyone. This is my first experience with Atwood, so I'm curious to see if I like her style.

message 11: by Robyn-Lee (new) - added it

Robyn-Lee Samuels (thewritespace) | 6 comments Mid/end Jan sounds great. This group is rather chilled as far as schedules go

Janice (JG) | 104 comments I finished it last week, and then watched the series on Netflix. The writing is different than Handmaid's Tale (which I found claustrophobic, and which Atwood probably intended). I really liked the narrator's voice in this one. I wanted to read it because it is based on a true story.

Izunia | 32 comments I started reading another book for a challenge (The Country Girls by Edna O'Brien) and I will start Alias Grace as soon as I finish. I can't wait to read it. I absolutely loved The Blind Assassin. I planned to read it at the beginning of the year and I'm happy it won the poll, so I can read it as a group read.

Shirley (stampartiste) | 791 comments I've only read about 50 pages so far, but I am really enjoying Atwood's writing style in this book. I don't know if she wrote her other books in a sort of stream of consciousness style (thank goodness, NOT like William Faulkner!), but I think this is going to be a great read.

Chrissy | 50 comments I’ve read about the first hundred pages. I’m liking it, but it is a bit sedate so far. I am going back and forth between reading a paperback and listening to audible.

Mónica (monica_arandag) | 11 comments As some of you, this is my first Atwood’s book and I’m enjoying it so far. I’m around page 50 and the style is attractive, I thought it would be dense but actually it’s easy to follow. Can’t wait to find how it’s going to develop.

Melanti | 2384 comments Good to hear you guys are liking it!

I'm #2 on a waiting list of 10 copies, so I should be getting it any day now.

Chrissy | 50 comments I think I'm about at 75% now, and while it's good, it is also kind of boring... and not because it is period or anything, just the pace is so slow and there is so much repetition when switching between POVs.

Renee | 864 comments This will also be my first Margaret Atwood book (bad Canadian that I am :) ). I meant to read A Handmaid's Tale last year, but never got around to it. I'm hoping to start this one soon, I just want to finish Romeo & Juliet first. I was planning to watch the new show when I finished. Has anyone watched it yet?

Mónica (monica_arandag) | 11 comments I was planning to watch the new show when I finished. Has anyone watched it yet? "

Also waiting to finish the book in order to start the series. :D

message 21: by Vero (new) - rated it 3 stars

Vero (vero_river) | 1 comments Just started it, I am around 100 pages in - I agree, the pace seems a bit slow, but I kind of like the different pieces that form the story and how the different POVs are quite telling.

I read the handmaid's tale first in December, thought it was really good - was my motivation to start this one :)

Mónica (monica_arandag) | 11 comments Almost halfway. I’m really interested in the story and I’m eager to know Atwood’s version of the events, but some parts have been a little difficult since English isn’t my mother tongue and I can’t go as fast as I wished to. I hope to finish it by the end of the week.

message 23: by Robyn-Lee (new) - added it

Robyn-Lee Samuels (thewritespace) | 6 comments Chapter 5. Started this morning listening to the audio book. Grace's mind is a busy place and so many of her thoughts are filtered. She's such a calculated character. "I have a we'll practiced stupid look" like what?! She's an interesting character.

Melanti | 2384 comments I'm enjoying it, but it is a bit slow.

I'm a little over half through, now, but I've got to hurry up and finish before I have to give it back to the library.

The plot is reminding me a little of Sarah Waters' Affinity.

katie | 73 comments I have read a lot of Atwood, so I've been looking forward to this book for a long time. And really enjoying it now that I'm in it, even though it's very different from her more speculative/dystopian work.

It is so long I was a little worried that it would be hard to get through, but even though it's kind of a "quiet" story, I was pulled in right away, and feel so connected to all of the characters, even the ones we are only hearing about 2nd hand. I'm going to wait until I get a little farther before I look at the spoiler thread. Happy reading, all!

Jen from Quebec :0) (muppetbaby99) | 216 comments Ack!! My copy just arrived in the mail TODAY. So, I will be late finishing it. Also, it seems huge and daunting. MUCH BIGGER than I remember this book being when I use to see it at bookstores. Over the years I have ALMOST bought it many times, and now, finally, I have done so. Hope all goes well. --Jen from Quebec :0)

Melanti | 2384 comments Considering the number of people who said they were going to get their copies later in the month, I assume you won't be the only one reading it after the end of the month.

Don't worry! The threads are always open.

Izunia | 32 comments I only finished today. I liked it a lot, but not as much as The Blind Assassin