Public Domain Readers discussion

A Study in Scarlet (Sherlock Holmes, #1)
This topic is about A Study in Scarlet
Group Book Discussions Archives > A Study in Scarlet - Jan 2018 discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sawako (last edited Jan 01, 2018 12:55AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sawako | 480 comments Mod
Welcome to the January read for our 2018 Sherlock Holmes Challenge.

A Study in Scarlet was first published in 1887.
It is the first story to feature the character of Sherlock Holmes, who would later become one of the most famous and iconic literary detective characters, with long-lasting interest and appeal. source: Feedbooks

Feel free to read the book or listen to its audio.

We only have one thread per book. So, please put all spoilers in the spoiler tags.

I've finished reading the book and ready to discuss it with you. I've listened to its audiobook on LibriVox. David Clarke did an awesome job recording it. And he actually recorded the whole Sherlock Holmes series by Conan Doyle on Librivox.

Azuma-chan | 49 comments I will start this tomorrow and will finish it in two days or so. Can’t wait to start the discussion with you.

Great! I'm looking forward to that.

Azuma-chan | 49 comments I just finished reading the book couple of hours ago and writing in the discussion here now after posting my review about the book. That was the very first book I read for Sherlock. It started kinda slow with tons of details and got really interesting in the middle and tragic at the end. (view spoiler)

This is my favorite quote from the book:
“Let the high God judge between us. Choose and eat. There is death in one and life in the other. I shall take what you leave. Let us see if there is justice upon the earth, or if we are ruled by chance.”

Was this your first time reading Sherlock Holmes?!

I'm happy you liked the book. I've just read your review and it's a well written one.

This is my favorite quote too.

No, it's my second time reading it. The first time I read it, I got super confused when the second part started. I thought I got the wrong book. But I finally understood the main reason for the second part.

I always think that Dr. Watson represents the reader. We got to know Sherlock Holmes through his eyes. We get information once Dr. Watson knows about it. And I liked that.

I hope you are looking forward to the next book.

Have you seen Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows?

Azuma-chan | 49 comments Oh, thank you so much. I love writing about my thoughts/book review with all the feelings I had when I was reading the story, that's how they become. I know, right?! It's a powerful quote.

I see, it's your second time. Yeah, that happened with me too. You know some of the books where they collect bunch of stories together?! I thought this is one of them (view spoiler)

Yes, about Dr. Watson telling the story. I remembered now, I also saw another movie called (Mr. Holmes) where they tell his story after he retires from the Detective job. He mentioned there that all his adventures are actually written by the doctor. I forgot to include that in the review maybe cause he wasn't an active detective anymore.

Of course I am, that would be next month - right?! as we are doing it in the yearly challenge. Yes, yes! I have seen the second movie as well. I take it that you saw both of them, no?! The second one was even better from the first one. Full of excitements and thrill.

You're welcome! That's a great idea. I'm writing short reviews for now till I get used to it. Kudos to you for writing that review.

Yes. And it was a great experience. Oh, I see. I'm happy to hear that. Because I think some people didn't enjoy the second part.

Oh, I haven't seen that movie. But I have seen some episodes of Sherlock Holmes starring Jeremy Brett.

Yes, it will be next month. I, too, liked the second one more than the first.

Azuma-chan | 49 comments That’s great. I’m sure you’ll be writing great reviews as you do. I also should probably mention that you were the one who encouraged to to write reviews when you first introduced me to Goodreads. And kept pushing me until I came here so thank you.

I have the series on my watch-list. I started with the movie as it is faster to finish than the episodes.

Thanks a million! We encourage each other to do our best and reach our potential in reading, writing reviews, and much more.

And thank you for encouraging me to keep reading.

Awesome! I hope that you will watch after reading the book. I don't want you to spoil our reading challenge. ;)

Azuma-chan | 49 comments You are welcome girl. That is very true and what friends do. Is the series based on the books?!

I totally agree! Yes, they are. So be careful. The movies are the stand-alone novel. And the series is based on the short stories. There is a movie for The Sign of Four, our February read.

message 13: by Stacy (new) - added it

Stacy | 43 comments I finished "A Study in Scarlet", but can't put up the review yet since it was part of a much larger volume. "The Sign of Four" is actually the next book-- so I am ready for next month. : )
I encountered the same problem-- when I initially thought I had ended the book, I thought "what an odd way to end it-- no explantations!"... then I looked on here, and others had thought that too, and realized that there was another actual part of the book, so I realized I must have done that too. Needless to say, I did finish it and was much happier! I love dear old Sherlock and the detailed way he always explains how he came to his conclusions. : )

I'm looking forward to reading your review. Great, I hope you'll like "The Sign of Four".

Same here! I felt something was missing. But I'm happy everything was clear in the end.

You just can't get enough of Sherlock. And I can't wait to read the whole series with everyone here.

message 15: by Stacy (new) - added it

Stacy | 43 comments Thank you Sawako! ; ) I bet I will like "The Sign of Four"-- I love anything Sherlock! I am too the story resolved itself, as I would have been so disappointed for it to end the other way. Likewise, I look forward to continuing with more of Mr. Holmes with the group!

You're welcome, Stacy. ;) Me too! And I'm glad to have you here.