500 Great Books By Women discussion

The Stone Angel
This topic is about The Stone Angel
Growing Old > The Stone Angel - Margaret Laurence

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 1840 comments The Stone Angel, Margaret Laurence, 1964, Canada, NOVEL

"...At ninety, Hagar Shipley speaks movingly of the perils of growing old and reflects, with bitterness, humor, and a painful awareness of her own frailties, on the life she has led...Asking forgiveness from neither God nor those around her, she must still wrestle with her own nature: "Pride was my wilderness, and the demon that led me there was fear."..."

(S.L., p. 115)

Mmars | 2 comments I recently read this as part of a group read on this site. Highly recommend it. Though the theme/story is not fresh it is soooo well written. If you like books in which the character (in this case a 90-year-old) narrates their life (in this case dementia is taking over) I highly recommend it. But you must know she is ascerbic and has a rather goth way of describing things.

message 3: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 1840 comments This work has just been chosen as today's random 500 GBBW, Mmars, so here's hoping more people pick it up!

message 4: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra | 8 comments That's funny because I just looked for this at my local library for no particular reason... They didn't have it :(

message 5: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 1840 comments Darn. Does your library have interlibrary loan capabilities, Sandra? Or perhaps you can recommend the book as one they should acquire.