Booktastic Bookaholics discussion

2018 Archives > January 2018 Theme: Retellings

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (booktasticnerd87) | 4512 comments Mod
Okay you amazingly awesome readers!

For this monthly theme we are going with Retellings

Now I know you guys are probably thinking... But what kind of Retellings Andrea? Well let me put your mind at ease. We know that there are many retellings out there. Fairytales. Classics. The works. Pick one. Any one of those retellings and run with it.

You want to read Pride, Prejudice and Zombies... Go for it if that is your cup of tea. It's a retelling of a priceless classic.

You want to read Beastly... Go ahead. It's a retelling of one of my favorite fairytales.

Remember these are always up to your interpretation within reason of course.

message 2: by Leela (new)

Leela | 1500 comments Mod
I'll be reading Spelled (The Storymakers, #1) by Betsy Schow for this month's theme!

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Oh I own that one. Did you know that a third one is coming out for this. I have the second one as well.

message 4: by Leela (new)

It's not a book that I thought I w ould like. This year I am planning to get rid of all the books I don't absolutely love and just buy the ebooks of books I kinda like or am not sure about. I'm not sure where this one is going to land. It's a shorter retelling so if I love it I'll keep it and get the rest of the series.

message 5: by Andrea (new)

I have thought about doing that before.

message 6: by Leela (new)

Well I promised that if I got an ereader for christmas or my birthday that I would buy less physical books and only buy the books I want desperately. So I have to go through a cleaning. Only books I got as gifts or of authors I love are going to stay with me. The rest will be donated to people or my local bookstore.

message 7: by Andrea (new)

Oh gosh I don't know if I could give up some of my books.

message 8: by Leela (new)

Lol. I am going to. I need space anyways for more books that I know I'll love.

message 9: by Andrea (new)

I have an ereader and I just don't love the darned thing. I forget to charge it and then when I am reading it I forget that it needs to be charged and it dies on me.

message 10: by Leela (new)

I take it to work with me everyday and I read on it when I'm on break or waiting for a resident to finish something or while I'm feeding a rather slow resident.

message 11: by Andrea (new)

I have been reading some on it because of getting books from Netgalley.

message 12: by Roxanne (new)

Roxanne | 727 comments Mod
The Spring Girls A Modern-Day Retelling of Little Women by Anna Todd This works as a retelling and a standalone! Yeah lol

message 13: by Andrea (new)

Roxanne wrote: "The Spring Girls A Modern-Day Retelling of Little Women by Anna Todd This works as a retelling and a standalone! Yeah lol"

Two birds one stone Roxanne. What is it a retelling of?

message 14: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "The Spring Girls A Modern-Day Retelling of Little Women by Anna Todd This works as a retelling and a standalone! Yeah lol"

Two birds one stone Roxanne. What is it a retell..."

Little Women

message 15: by Andrea (new)

Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "The Spring Girls A Modern-Day Retelling of Little Women by Anna Todd This works as a retelling and a standalone! Yeah lol"

Two birds one stone Roxanne. What..."

I never finished Little Women. I should try to read it again.

message 16: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "The Spring Girls A Modern-Day Retelling of Little Women by Anna Todd This works as a retelling and a standalone! Yeah lol"

Two birds one sto..."

It's been years since i read it but i remember liking it.

message 17: by Andrea (new)

I never even finished it.

message 18: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "I never even finished it."

If it didn't hold your interest I wouldn't bother trying again, or try again and see if you feel differently about it.

message 19: by Andrea (new)

Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "I never even finished it."

If it didn't hold your interest I wouldn't bother trying again, or try again and see if you feel differently about it."

I think I was in 9th grade. It was one of those books to read for school. I was more interested in boys then and not books. lol

message 20: by Roxanne (new)

Lol totally understandable

message 21: by Andrea (new)

So I'm sure my taste have changed since 9th grade. I read more classics that I did then.

message 22: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "So I'm sure my taste have changed since 9th grade. I read more classics that I did then."

I am the opposite. I read more classics when i was younger than i do now.

message 23: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 682 comments I read Spelled (The Storymakers, #1) by Betsy Schow . I really liked it. I want to read the next one, but from the review it's told from a different character's prospective...:( I don't like when books do that. I'm debating on skipping the second book and reading the last book in hopes that the point of view will be the same character as the first.

message 24: by Andrea (new)

R.J. wrote: "I read Spelled (The Storymakers, #1) by Betsy Schow. I really liked it. I want to read the next one, but from the review it's told from a different character's prospective...:( I don't like when books do that. I'm..."

Oh I hate when books do that. It drives me nuts. I mean I usually try to get past it when it's a really good book. I mean it's been touch and go when it comes down to it. Of course I wasn't a big fan of multiple points of view either but I have gotten used to it. I guess I have to say one of the things that bothers me the most is when a book is told from one character's point of view for most of a series and then the next thing you know in another book it's told from more than one point of view.

I am looking forward to this book though. I am planning on getting to it soonish.

message 25: by Andrea (new)

Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "So I'm sure my taste have changed since 9th grade. I read more classics that I did then."

I am the opposite. I read more classics when i was younger than i do now."

I've always been so weird in my reading taste.

message 26: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "Roxanne wrote: "Andrea wrote: "So I'm sure my taste have changed since 9th grade. I read more classics that I did then."

I am the opposite. I read more classics when i was younger than i do now."
..."

Not weird i think a lot of people enjoy classics when they are older. I still work on reading some.

message 27: by Andrea (new)

I mean I know I'm never going to pick up The Lord of the Flies again. I couldn't get through the book when I was in high school and I don't think I will be able to get through it now.

message 28: by Roxanne (new)

True!

message 29: by Andrea (new)

Lord of the Flies killed me.

message 30: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "Lord of the Flies killed me."

It isn't an easy book.

message 31: by Andrea (new)

I was a senior in high school trying to read it.

message 32: by Roxanne (new)

Sounds about right, my son just read it about two months ago for his ap lit class and he is a senior.

message 33: by Andrea (new)

I was in honors lit. So yeah that was senior year. I hate to admit this but my boyfriend at the time who was a really close friend until he passed back in June helped me cheat on that test. It was the only test I ever cheated on. Of course he cheated off me the same class for Sense and Sensibility. That is where I got my love of Jane Austen.

message 34: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "I was in honors lit. So yeah that was senior year. I hate to admit this but my boyfriend at the time who was a really close friend until he passed back in June helped me cheat on that test. It was ..."

I love jane austen!

message 35: by Andrea (new)

Jane Austen is one of my favorite classic authors. I first read Sense and Sensibility in high school and then continued to read her books. Some of them are re-reads when I want to and then there are the others that I still need to read.

message 36: by Roxanne (new)

Andrea wrote: "Jane Austen is one of my favorite classic authors. I first read Sense and Sensibility in high school and then continued to read her books. Some of them are re-reads when I want to and then there ar..."

Pride and prejudice is my favorite but I do love Sense and Sensibility

message 37: by Andrea (new)

I enjoyed Sense and Sensibility.

message 38: by Leela (new)

Picked up Spelled (The Storymakers, #1) by Betsy Schow for this challenge today.

message 39: by R.J. (new)

R.J. Abell | 682 comments Leela wrote: "Picked up Spelled (The Storymakers, #1) by Betsy Schow for this challenge today."

I hope you like it!

message 40: by Andrea (new)

I hope that she does as well.

message 41: by Leela (new)

I finally finished Spelled (The Storymakers, #1) by Betsy Schow ! I took my time with this book since I am ahead in my reading goal pace.