Fantasy Book Club Series discussion

The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
This topic is about The Warded Man
Demon Cycle > #1 THE WARDED MAN—Finished Reading *SPOILERS*

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Dec 31, 2017 09:45PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 826 comments Mod
This is the place for those who have finished reading The Warded Man by Peter V. Brett, Book 1 in the Demon Cycle.

*****WARNING—Spoilers Likely!*****

message 2: by Gregory (new)

Gregory | 11 comments When I first started I was unsure if I would really get that into it, but as I read further into it I found myself staying up late to find out what happened to Leesha, Rojer, and Arlen. All in all an excellent book that gives something a little different than the epic fantasy I usually read. Very much looking forward to the next book.

Andrew Somers | 3 comments I rather liked this book the way that Peter Brett wrote made me never want to put the book down, which meant I spent most of my New Years Eve finishing this. The world that he had created was very interesting and well thought out. I am looking forward to see what happened next in the series

Femmy | 32 comments I like how the parents are portrayed as flawed humans in the novel. At first it felt strange, that the father isn't someone like, for example, Tam al-Thor of the Wheel of Time series, but after a while, I came to appreciate the realness they bring to the story.

I also love the gradual learning process Arlen underwent to master the magical wards.

message 5: by Sabrina (last edited Jan 02, 2018 11:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sabrina I enjoyed this book very much and gave it 5 stars for its interesting world concept and the exciting, fast-paced story.

Still, I’ve found some minor faults with it. For me the characters could have been more vivid and the constant crying or being tearful seemed a bit much.

Femmy wrote: "I also love the gradual learning process Arlen underwent to master the magical wards...."

I was glad for this as well and found that it brought more authenticity to the story.

message 6: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 826 comments Mod
7/10
I enjoyed the book and found Arlen’s, Leesha’s, and Rojer’s stories engaging, if somewhat predictable.

The demons are interesting creatures and I am anxious to learn more about their origins and history, along with separating fact from myth regarding the wards, the ancient science, and the historical battles.

Medieval and Arab-like cultures, youngsters who feel like outsiders in their homes and/or who undergo tragedies that shape who they become, music as magic—all familiar, somewhat overused fantasy elements. But there is enough freshness and originality in the overall story to balance that.

message 7: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
I want to bring up a subject of deep discussion from another group I read this with.....

Leesha's rape and her actions afterward.
It has been a bit since I read it, but IIRC, she placed a lot of importance on her virginity, and thus it seems she would have been distraught afterwards. Also, forcible rape is pretty damaging(especially to someone who is a virgin). It would have taken a while to heal.
So to do this 'healing sex' with Arlen so shortly afterwards seemed to a lot of readers to be not in character, plus just not very realistic.
I myself see her rape as a big catalyst of change, but the timing of the change seemed to me way too soon.
What did you think? Should it have been handled differently? did you find it beleivable?

message 8: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Jan 06, 2018 10:57AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 826 comments Mod
I am not a survivor of sexual assault or rape, so I am looking at this from the outside.

I thought Leesha’s willingness to have intercouse with Arlen (as The Warded Man) was unrealistic. I don’t think she would have a pragmatic view of her own rape so soon after it happened, and so the idea of “healing sex” seems a bit soon and probably not something that would be likely to occur to her.

On the other hand, the rapes were part of an overall assault and maybe Leesha was able to distance herself from it by seeing it as an overall act of banditry. And Arlen, as The Warded Man, was a very magical, savior-type figure to her, so that may have been a factor.

Sabrina Excellent question; I struggled with this scene as well. Especially given how Leesha handled her immediate shame by completely drawing back into herself, this seemed very out of character and unrealistic. I kind of got the impression that the author did not understand a lot about women. This was also reflected in my comment above: the characters seemed to miss some depth and charm.

message 10: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (last edited Jan 12, 2018 06:36AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 826 comments Mod
Did you all think that Arlen would become the Warded/Painted Man? Or did you think that was going to be a character he would meet? Or something else?

Joseph Doran That's a good question. It's a very complex issue. All I can say, having followed Peter V Brett on social media for a long time now, is that he is a very forward thinking, woke dude, so I'm sure he had the best intentions when crafting those scenes.

Brent | 38 comments I enjoyed this book. Looking forward to see what happens in the next book. I did not find the rape scene very believable but I have not been through a situation such as that.

I assumed he would run into the warded man in the south and become his apprentice but I was wrong.

I did like the subtle things about the book such as the symbols at the start of a chapter that allowed you to know which character the chapter was about. I did not catch on to that until about a third of the way through the book.

message 13: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 826 comments Mod
Brent wrote: "I did like the subtle things about the book such as the symbols at the start of a chapter that allowed you to know which character the chapter was about. I did not catch on to that until about a third of the way through the book."

Same here.

Amber (ambernm88) My favorite thing about the book was the world and setting the author created. It was interesting, and I remember it drawing me in right away! I read the first 4 books in this series in the beginning of 2016 and see that I gave this one 4 stars on Goodreads. I remember being really engaged in the story. I took some time now to review this book again. Even though I still think it is an enjoyable story/read overall, I found a few things quite frustrating.

I feel like there was a lot of stereotyping and predictability throughout the book (I don't think the predictability took away from the enjoyment of the story, but the stereotyping did). I thought Leesha was defined way too much around her virginity. It felt really heavy handed and obnoxious. While I appreciate that the author was trying to build her up as a strong female character who was learning to trust herself and take charge of her life, it fell short (in my opinion) especially after the gang rape scene. I don't need an author to always choose safe fantasy with no aspects of realism. However, I felt like that scene was completely unnecessary, served no narrative purpose, and did nothing to further her character development. The other thing I am not a fan of after reviewing it again, is that the only people of color mentioned in the book were heavily stereotyped. I am not quite sure what rating I would give it now. I'm torn between the overall enjoyable story and the irritating/heavy handed stereotypes.

I am relatively new to this group, and this is the first time I am jumping in during a book discussion. I am excited to discuss books with you all and will be curious to see what you think of the next few when we get there.

Stephanie | 1 comments I've read the first 4 and am in the process of reading book 5 The Core.

There were definitely things that I felt were unnecessary and unbelievable to both Rojer and Leesha's story but it was the story of Arlen himself that I was drawn to and after that Jardir.

I did get attached to the characters. Rojer's story turned a corner I didn't expect though with the "Wives" but all in all I'm still very interested in the story being told and want to know how it plays out!

Ruiisu | 1 comments Kathi wrote: "Did you all think that Arlen would become the Warded/Painted Man? Or did you think that was going to be a character he would meet? Or something else?"

I thought Arlen was going to meet the Warded/Painted Man and become his apprentice before reading the book. It was pretty interesting seeing him become the Warded Man. I just hope everyone sees him as "Deliverer" later on in the story!

Nichole I just finished and I loved it. It's a great story, and the characters are amazing.

message 18: by Vera (new) - rated it 2 stars

Vera Maslow | 37 comments I am in the minority here. I found most of this book boring. I felt like the parts for Rojer and Leesha were quick summaries and intermissions between time jumps of Arlen's story and for me it messed with the flow and pacing of the story.
I do think the main plot is interesting and may appreciate all this build and backstory later on, but not having read anymore of the series yet it was just okay as a book 1 and doesnt have me as excited as others to pick up the next.

Sabrina Vera wrote: "I am in the minority here. I found most of this book boring. I felt like the parts for Rojer and Leesha were quick summaries and intermissions between time jumps of Arlen's story and for me it mess..."

I fully agree with you that there were problems with the story’s flow and character depth. However, somehow the author made me enjoy this story in spite of it… but it is certainly no masterpiece despite my five stars.

message 20: by Kathi, There’s no such thing as too many books! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kathi | 826 comments Mod
Sabrina wrote: "I fully agree with you that there were problems with the story’s flow and character depth. However, somehow the author made me enjoy this story in spite of it… but it is certainly no masterpiece despite my five stars. "

My main complaint was the use of already-overused fantasy elements, making some parts predictable, but, as you said, Sabrina, it was enjoyable despite the flaws.

message 21: by Maggie, The Malazan Queen of Chaos (new) - rated it 4 stars

Maggie K | 1202 comments Mod
that is how I would describe itoo....

Krista | 35 comments I really enjoyed this first book but gave it 4 stars because I agree there are areas that are really predictable. I can’t say I was surprised that Arlen becomes the Warded Man because of this. Still looking forward to book 2!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Warded Man (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Peter V. Brett (other topics)