Around the World discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
2012-2021 Discussions > 2018 - Share Your Reading Goals!

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lilisa (new)

Lilisa | 1988 comments Mod
What are your reading goals for 2018? We'd love to hear your plans - inquiring minds what to know! :-)

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 916 comments Mod
In 2016 I over-planned, and last year I went too far in the opposite direction, so clearly I need to strike a better balance in 2018. I've made a start by corralling all the likely contenders from other challenges that I know I'm going to read this year and have come up with an initial list of 30 - which coincidentally is about the number I usually aim for with this group.

But looking through it now, I can see that I'm still covering lots of old ground - Afghanistan, France, India, China... Throughout the year I'll consciously look for opportunities to broaden my horizons. So - as always - I look forward to reading everyone else's reviews to discover exciting new destinations.

message 3: by Lilisa (last edited Dec 31, 2017 09:00PM) (new)

I'm just the opposite, Andrea. I felt compulsive in 2017 trying to get many books off my TBR list that had been languishing there for a few years. But then, there were so many great books published in 2017, books friends recommended and books that intrigued me that I found myself caught in a book swirl - not that it wasn't enjoyable! In 2018, I want to focus on the tons of books I own but haven't read, visit countries I haven't traveled to before and to countries I have only occasionally visited. Better said than done!

message 4: by Rusalka (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 1011 comments Mod
Happy New Year everyone!!

I plan too hard and then don't read everything. I tried to plan less in 2017, but I like having a list to tick off. Even if I don't tick them all off and end up adding extras.

I think I'll aim for about 20-25 around the world reads this year, and see how we end up. That usually gives me about 20 reads that are Aus, UK, US based for other challenges or as I feel like I want to read them.

I have until next Monday off work, so I'll try and do some planning in the next few days.

message 5: by Kayla (new)

Kayla | 3 comments I'm a 5th and 6th grade teacher. Our school took on the 40 book challenge for the 2017/18 school year, so I will keep that up and plan on reading 40 books this year! I do like fantasy and books that might not take me around the world, so I will plan on 20 around the world books.

message 6: by Beth (new)

Beth (eparks4232) | 311 comments I'm going to try for 20 countries. I have 2 (US and England) already and am reading Egypt and Russia (USSR at the time of the book) right now. Hopefully it won't be too hard to get 20.

message 7: by Almeta (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 42 comments Trying for 35. I expect them to be part of another challenge I'm trying to complete.

message 8: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 171 comments I'm visiting Japan and Malaysia this year and would like to read books set in these countries - fiction and non-fiction.

Since I'm doing some other reading challenges, I'll aim for 20 like Beth. I have two lined up that are set in Nigeria, one in Russia and one in France...

message 9: by Lilisa (new)

Yrinsyde wrote: "I'm visiting Japan and Malaysia this year and would like to read books set in these countries - fiction and non-fiction.

Since I'm doing some other reading challenges, I'll aim for 20 like Beth. ..."

Visiting Japan and Malaysia in real life or in books, Yrinsyde? Have you read The Gift of Rain and The Garden of Evening Mists set in Malaysia (and a bit in Japan)? I read Pachinko and it's half set in Japan. Others have loved The Housekeeper and the Professor although it was meh for me.

message 10: by Andrea (new)

Andrea | 916 comments Mod
Yrinsyde wrote: "I'm visiting Japan and Malaysia this year and would like to read books set in these countries - fiction and non-fiction. Since I'm doing some other reading challenges, I'll aim for 20 like Beth. ..."

I’ve just added a title for Japan to my list - not many reviews, but it sounds quite good. It’s The Translation of Love by Lynne Kutsukake.

message 11: by Hesper (new)

Hesper | 33 comments My only goal is to read all the books I list in my travels thread. The last time I did this, I got carried away with finding books and didn't get to all of them.

Yrinside, I just finished Spirits Abroad, which has some pretty brilliant use of both Malay folklore and Manglish, and I have it on good authority that it's a very Malaysian book.

message 12: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 171 comments Lilisa wrote: "Yrinsyde wrote: "I'm visiting Japan and Malaysia this year and would like to read books set in these countries - fiction and non-fiction. Since I'm doing some other reading challenges, I'll aim f..."

Hi Lilisa, I'm visiting in real life - Japan in late March early April and Malaysia in August, or during the winter sometime. Thanks for all the suggestions, I've not read any of them!

message 13: by Rusalka (new)

Rusalka (rusalkii) | 1011 comments Mod
Oh I love Japan. And Malaysia would be great. I've been to Singapore, and south Thailand, but missed Malaysia so far. The food in both places will be fantastic!!

I agree on the Tan Twan Eng recommendations. I'll dig through your shelves and see if there are any other ideas.

message 14: by Lilisa (new)

Yrinsyde wrote: "Lilisa wrote: "Yrinsyde wrote: "I'm visiting Japan and Malaysia this year and would like to read books set in these countries - fiction and non-fiction. Since I'm doing some other reading challenge..."

How fun - have a fantastic time! We'd love to hear about your food experience in the food thread - I love Malaysian and Japanese food.

message 15: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 171 comments Rusalka wrote: "Oh I love Japan. And Malaysia would be great. I've been to Singapore, and south Thailand, but missed Malaysia so far. The food in both places will be fantastic!! I agree on the [author:Tan Twan En..."

I've been to Malaysia once but just KL and Malacca. This visit we will stay for a whole week in the Majestic Hotel in Malacca - the hotel that Grahame Green stayed at. :) Not been to Thailand yet ...

message 16: by Yrinsyde (new)

Yrinsyde | 171 comments I will Lilisa! And I am looking forward to Japanese pancakes and those little speciality restaurants that just serve one thing ... hole in the wall restaurants I think they're called. Yum yum!

message 17: by Lilisa (new)

Japan's around the corner for you Yrinsyde! Few more days and counting - have a great time!

message 18: by Val (new)

Val The Man Booker International list was announced today, so I will be reading some of it.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather I want to see and learn about different countries and cultures, but I am not a traveler! I like my own bed, my own bathroom and I'm not very interested in 'new' foods. So therefore, I read. Plus, I get very air sick when I fly! But reading can take me to palaces, on ships, on beaches and even to outer space!

I'm so glad I found this group. Now I can purposely visit places.
My reading travels for the rest of 2018 will be in Australia, Greece, England, Japan and even in my own country in the states of California and Georgia.

message 20: by Lilisa (new)

Lol, Heather! Like you, reading gets me to different cultures/countries. I'm with you on the bathroom for sure 😂 but I sacrifice for travel every so often.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.