50 books to read before you die discussion

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern was voted to be our group read for January 2018 from open nominations.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments I've just started this, really enjoying it so far.

message 3: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Lisa wrote: "I've just started this, really enjoying it so far."

Same here. Started yesterday.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Initially I thought that Celia was at an unfair disadvantage by not knowing her opponent. Having 'seen' her perform in the circus, I think I was wrong.

message 5: by Buck (last edited Jan 05, 2018 05:35PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) I'm well past the halfway mark. I expected this to be a contest, a competition, between magicians. So far, it isn't. I still don't know what its about. Having a little trouble following the story and keeping up with the characters. (view spoiler)

I'm listening to an audio book read by Jim Dale, who did a fantastic job with the Harry Potter Series. Bailey sounds like Ron Weasley.

message 6: by Lisa (last edited Jan 05, 2018 01:56AM) (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments I'm also past halfway too. I am reading this on kindle, decided not to listen on audible as I thought I'd struggle to keep track of times and places. So far able to hold the entire story in mind.

(view spoiler)

message 7: by Lisa (last edited Jan 04, 2018 04:42AM) (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments I have finished this book. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

(view spoiler)

message 8: by Paula (new)

Paula Lisa wrote: "I'm also past halfway too. I am reading this on kindle, decided not to listen on audible as I thought I'd struggle to keep track of times and places. So far able to hold the entire story in mind.

..."

These last three comments come very close to including spoilers. Please don't make comments about what is coming in the book even in an indirect way to respect the rest of us who are not as far along. Or use the "spoiler" selection so you can hide that part of your comment. Thanks

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Jan 05, 2018 01:56AM) (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Paula wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I'm also past halfway too. I am reading this on kindle, decided not to listen on audible as I thought I'd struggle to keep track of times and places. So far able to hold the entire sto..."
My apologies Paula. It was meant to be conjecture. I have amended my comment.

message 10: by Buck (last edited Jan 05, 2018 05:34PM) (new)

Buck (spectru) Past the three-quarter mark and it's beginning to come together. It's like a jigsaw puzzle - lots of little pieces and finally the picture is beginning to show. I'm still wondering about one thing - (view spoiler)

message 11: by Paula (new)

Paula The whole time I'm reading this--and I'm almost done--I'm seeing this as a film. The characters so interesting and the scenes so vividly described. I go check it out and The Night Circus is "in development." Good deal.

message 12: by Lisa (last edited Jan 05, 2018 09:24PM) (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Buck wrote: "Past the three-quarter mark and it's beginning to come together. It's like a jigsaw puzzle - lots of little pieces and finally the picture is beginning to show. I'm still wondering about one thing ..."

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Paula wrote: "The whole time I'm reading this--and I'm almost done--I'm seeing this as a film. The characters so interesting and the scenes so vividly described. I go check it out and The Night Circus is "in dev..."

I also checked. Seems to have been in development for a long time. I wondered if the project had been shelved?

message 14: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Lisa wrote: "I also checked. Seems to have been in development for a long time. I wondered if the project had been shelved?"

According to this trailer, https://youtu.be/WZJiW2w1xdc, the release date is September 13.

message 15: by Paula (new)

Paula Buck wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I also checked. Seems to have been in development for a long time. I wondered if the project had been shelved?"

According to this trailer, https://youtu.be/WZJiW2w1xdc, the release da..."

Thanks, Buck. This is one I'll definitely see at the theater and not wait for DVD.

message 16: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Buck wrote: "Lisa wrote: "I also checked. Seems to have been in development for a long time. I wondered if the project had been shelved?"

According to this trailer, https://youtu.be/WZJiW2w1xdc, the release da..."<

Thanks Buck.

Just find it weird there's no more info like casting etc. All the info I find is either old (2016 or 2012) or fan based.

message 17: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Done.

Enjoyed it, although I felt it got off to a long slow start. It does really wrap things up in the end.

Except that I still don't know why (view spoiler) Maybe I just missed it. Can some one please explain that to me?

message 18: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Buck wrote: "Done.

Except that I still don't know why [spoilers removed] Maybe I just missed it. Can some..."

I loved it! I've still got a book hangover from this book in spite of having read 2 other really great books since then.

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Buck (last edited Jan 09, 2018 05:48AM) (new)

Buck (spectru) Thank you, Lisa

message 20: by Paula (new)

Paula Lisa wrote: "Buck wrote: "Done.

Except that I still don't know why [spoilers removed] Maybe I just missed it. Can some..."

I loved it! I've still got a book hangover from this book in spite of having read 2 o..."

This is an accurate description to answer Buck's "spoiler" question. I was going to do this, but have no need now. Thanks, Lisa.

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula I've seen so many varying reviews of this book, I'm going to wait on posting a link to mine until later in the month. Sometimes what we choose to say in these threads sways people (it's happened to me) and I would hate to intrude on anyone's honest response.

message 22: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) I'm conflicted about this book. I don't know what I think about it or how I feel about it. I tried to write a review but after a few unconvincing lines, abandoned the effort. It's well written, has good character development, and a certain appeal, but I just can't decide.... I don't even know what I can't decide.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments Buck wrote: "I'm conflicted about this book. I don't know what I think about it or how I feel about it. I tried to write a review but after a few unconvincing lines, abandoned the effort. It's well written, has..."

That's interesting Buck. You listened to it as an audiobook right and mentioned that you weren't always able to track timelines. Maybe it's that.

I always find it harder to form opinions of audiobooks and to write reviews. I think it's because I can't go back to my notes and highlights that I make on my kindle.

Would this happen to you?

message 24: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) I'm suffering from a weird neurological disorder that has somewhat inhibited my ability to read. So, lately most of my reading has been audio books. Regardless, I enjoy audio books and have listened to them for years. Often, I can't remember afterwards whether I heard or read a book. I do occasionally make notes or highlight passages in my Kindle and that is a shortcoming of audio books - no margins, real or virtual, to write in.

In hearing Night Circus, though, I had more trouble tracking than usual. Don't know whether it was the narration or what was going on in real life at the time. I did find the non-chronological story line to be confounding. I eventually learned to be more attentive to the dates at the beginning of each chapter. That might not have been a problem had I been reading the written word.

Anyhow I'm on to the next one - Ordinary Grace. Having no trouble keeping track of this one.

message 25: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 78 comments I listened to the audio book of this in October 2014 and remember feeling very conflicted about it then. I couldn't decide if I loved it or just tolerated it. The imagery was certainly very beautiful, but I felt I wanted more from it, it was very complex but lacked genuine depth of feeling for me

message 26: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 78 comments I listen to a lot of audio books too, and sometimes struggle to remember if I read or listened to a book as well, to me there's not much difference between the two now, I really notice a badly done audio book now though, it's really irritating, the Internet is full of audios done by none professionals, you can really notice the difference. I'm currently making my way through Raymond Chandlers Philip Marlow series read by Ray Porter, to me no one else will ever sound like Philip Marlow, he is Philip Marlow to me. Absolutely amazing highly recommend

message 27: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Kayleigh wrote: "I really notice a badly done audio book now though, it's really irritating, the Internet is full of audios done by none professionals, you can really notice the difference.."

The Night Circus was read by Jim Dale, who did an absolutely magnificent performance with the Harry Potter series. In fact, I did a search to see what else he had done, and found nothing. He must have done Night Circus after I heard Harry Potter. At any rate, my problems with Night Circus, which perhaps were somewhat similar to yours, Kayleigh, were not due to an amateurish reader.

message 28: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 78 comments I definitely remember it being a fantastic performance, I certainly couldn't fault it. There was something lacking with the story though that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It's like trying to pin down a wisp of smoke, you think you've figured out what was wrong, and then look at it again and decide that in fact you're the one that's wrong, not the book. I'm so going to have to listen to it again now, to be honest I had always planned to give it another go