50 books to read before you die discussion

Middlemarch
This topic is about Middlemarch

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Buck (spectru) Middlemarch by George Elliot was voted to be our group read for January 2018 from our list of 100 Books They Didn't Tell Us About.

Lisa (lisadannatt) | 743 comments This is one of my favorite books, I think I put it on the list a few years ago.

Here is my review:

"This is easily one of the most beautiful and complex novels that I have ever read. Elliot brings small-town England during the Victorian era to life through the eyes of multiple, complex characters. Each character, been the minor ones, has their own voice and complexity. The story weaves an intricate web through their lives. Elliot uses this tale to comment on multiple relevant social issues.
It is truly masterful"

Buck (spectru) Lisa wrote: "This is one of my favorite books, I think I put it on the list a few years ago.

Here is my review:

"This is easily one of the most beautiful and complex novels that I have ever read. Elliot bring..."

Good. My library has several copies available and I hope to read it.

LiLi | 4 comments One of my favourites as well. I love Eliot. I'm looking forward to rereading it.

message 5: by Christine (last edited Jan 17, 2018 06:38AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Christine I have just finished reading this and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought I had read it before but quickly realised I hadn’t and I just knew the story through films and tv series.

I loved the language, as many of the words are no longer used today they sound very posh and flowery. Also the time period it is set in, about 8 years before Victoria came to the throne, is full of challenges to change from the ‘old ways’ due to the effects of the Industrial revolution.

Buck (spectru) According to Wikipedia "Eliot's Middlemarch has been described by Martin Amis and Julian Barnes as the greatest novel in the English language."

I've just begun reading it.

Buck (spectru) I'm about 2/3 of the way through Middlemarch. It'll be another week or so. Can't say that I agree with those guys who called it the greatest novel in the English language. I'm not a fan of Victorian English, though it's tolerable once you get used to it.

LiLi | 4 comments I read it in Summer 2001, but haven't yet been able to start my reread, as I'm still finishing _Phineas Finn_. I may have taken on too many books at once.

Buck (spectru) Here is my review of Middlemarch: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Middlemarch (other topics)