2021 Reading Challenge discussion

Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
This topic is about Throne of Glass
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
ARCHIVE 2018 > Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass #1)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 07, 2018 11:16AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments This thread is to discuss Sarah J. Maas‘s book, Throne of Glass.

***Please remember to mark spoilers.***

Participants: Anastasia, Joan, Scott, BMAD_Addicts, Susy, Ronnie, SarahKat, Ju, Sarah

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Suggested break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting dates for each section I've done it so that it takes into account that not everybody will necessarily have the book at the same time.

Week 1: 101
Week 2: 101
Week 3: 101
Week 4: 101

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments I started on this yesterday. All I know going in is it’s a fantasy series that’s new to me from an author that’s also new. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it.

message 4: by Anastasia (new) - added it

Anastasia | 13 comments Hey all:) anyone know how many chapters we should read at a time? I can’t wait to start this series but I’m afraid if I start I’ll read the first book all at once!

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Nothing wrong with reading the book all at once. The pages per week are a suggestion

message 6: by Susy (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) Anastasia wrote: "Hey all:) anyone know how many chapters we should read at a time? I can’t wait to start this series but I’m afraid if I start I’ll read the first book all at once!"

Hi Anastasia, see my comment on your question about Caraval; everybody starts, finishes and reads in his own pace. So if you really like it and finish it in one day, that's just fine. You can even post your thoughts about it, as long as you mark spoilers :)

message 7: by Mary Pat (last edited Jan 02, 2018 10:58AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Hi, Anastasia!

Susy and Scott pretty much covered it! The number of weekly pages is only a suggestion. You can read the book at any pace you want. Just be sure to mark spoilers in your comments so that no major plot lines are revealed to someone who isn't as far along as you!

You mark spoilers by putting [spoiler] in front of the text and [/spoiler] after the text but you use <> instead of [].

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Susan (jazzescrapper) | 26 comments Mary Pat wrote: "
Suggested
break down of reading so that you can check in and let us know how you're doing. The following breakdown is purely a suggestion and is therefore not set in stone.

Rather than putting..."

Week 1: 101 what does that mean? because it's written the same way for week 2, 3, and 4

message 9: by Susy (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) Susan wrote: "Week 1: 101 what does that mean? because it's written the same way for week 2, 3, and 4 "

Hi Susan, it refers to the amount of pages read per week (as a suggestion, everybody reads in his or her own pace).

message 10: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) This has been on my tbr for a while so I'm keen to join in with this one!

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2630 comments I'm reading this one too even though my name isn't on the list yet. I just finished chapter 14.

At first the writing seemed a little juvenile for me, but I've gotten used to it and it stopped bothering me. I like the story and I like (view spoiler)

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments I'm halfway through the book and enjoying it 😀😀 anybody else started the book yet ?

(view spoiler)

message 13: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments SarahKat & Ju - you have been added to the list of participants!

Ronnie | 54 comments Been waiting for my book to come in and it’s supposed to arrive today! I’m planning on starting it right away.

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments Ronnie wrote: "Been waiting for my book to come in and it’s supposed to arrive today! I’m planning on starting it right away."

Great!! Tell us how it goes 😊

message 16: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) Mary Pat wrote: "SarahKat & Ju - you have been added to the list of participants!"

Yay, thank you!

message 17: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I will be starting this one after Caraval. Caraval is going pretty fast so I'll probably be able to start this at the end of the week.

Sarah | 19 comments A week behind, but I would love to join !

message 19: by Susy (new) - added it

Susy (susysstories) Sarah wrote: "A week behind, but I would love to join !"

Welcome Sarah! Don't worry, you're not behind. Everybody starts in his own time and reads in his own pace. So no worries and enjoy the read & discussion! :)

message 20: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Sarah wrote: "A week behind, but I would love to join !"

I have added you to the list of participants!

message 21: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read.

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I finished this book last night and I have to admit its very slow in the beginning, but since this is the first book of a long series and the first book the author had published I can bear with it.

This is the 2nd time I'm reading this book (cause i want to read before the last book come out) and I can tell you (view spoiler)

message 23: by Ronnie (last edited Jan 07, 2018 08:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ronnie | 54 comments Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I agree with you, but I definitely am still having a really good time reading it! I think the plot is pretty interesting, which for me cancels out the most of the teeth-grinding moments (mainly, Celaena's characterization).

On Celaena: I really can't decide if I like her or not... I think that most of the time I do, despite that she is portrayed as being fairly arrogant. I think she is likeable for me still because I see her arrogance as an intentional flaw that Maas wanted her to have; I don't think that the reader is necessarily supposed to sympathize with her ALL the time. At the same time, I think Maas slips up sometimes in writing by telling instead of showing... for example, it's never Celaena acting arrogant that bothers me, but Maas inserting random phrases about how beautiful or talented she is (we get it!).

Also, if anyone is interested in discussing the romantic plotline at all (I'll mark it as a spoiler to be safe since I'm about halfway through the book, although I am fairly sure most of this develops earlier in the book) (view spoiler)

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I agree with you, but I de..."

I feel the same way!! I dont really mind the arrogance that is in Celaena and not to mention she is very strong and kind after all she went through.

For the romantic plotline (view spoiler)

Anybody wants to discuss about the other characters in the book that you want to see more in the next one ?

message 25: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) BMAD_addicts wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I finished this book last ..."

I just finished it and I overall didn't mind it - it was fun enough and entertaining enough. I'm glad the books improve - I am not sure if I'll read the rest of the series but I'm encouraged by what you say.

message 26: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2630 comments Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I can't really decide if I like Calaena or not as well. As I said earlier I like that she enjoys being girly, but also enjoys kicking ass. But, her personality is a bit obnoxious. I do not relate to her at all. I hate her arrogance, but I do like that she's a bit selfish. (view spoiler)

As far as her romantic plotline, (view spoiler)

message 27: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I think your point about telling instead of showing is well made, and yes, Celaena's characterisation really was all over the place. Despite that, she grew on me.

I think... if I could go back in time and rework this book I'd make her character in her 40s, the experience and survival instinct would make more sense, even her talents! Plus I think that the romance plots would also all make more sense. Add 20 years to her age and let that maturity show and I think the book would be 100x better. Or, make her not so fucking over the top talented with everything in ways that make me roll my eyes and let her be 18, that's fine too - just... what she's supposedly capable of plus her emotional temperament, and all the attention seeking, doesn't make sense still.

message 28: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) BMAD_addicts wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I agree wit..."

I'd love to see more of Pelor and Nox, also Princess Nehemia. I'm also intrigued by the king - the last part of the book made me think that there's definitely more going on and he's not a figurehead villain, but much is left unsaid. That could also get me reading the next book.

message 29: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) SarahKat wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I agree wit..."

Your issues with her personality also mirror mine - although I also like the way in which she stays true to her goals. And, I do like how she grows as a character and not fucking up the lives of those around her begins to factor into her decisions - it didn't start out that way but I like that this shifted during the course of the book.

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments Ju wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I agree wit..."

I think the arrogance comes with her being so young and that she is once the most notorious assasins in Adarlan. In the book she mentioned she was trained at a young age by Arobyn Hammel the King of Assassin and that she experience seeing her homeland destroyed (view spoiler) That might've explained the experience she suffered and "maybe" being arrogant is her mask to veil her suffering

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments Ju wrote: "BMAD_addicts wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as ..."
Yes!! Princess Nehemia, I am very sad about (view spoiler)

Ronnie | 54 comments BMAD_addicts wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I agree wit..."

The bit about Dorian wanting more adventure because he is always stuck in his castle actually makes me feel pretty bad for him... (view spoiler)

SarahKat wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as I read."

I agree wit..."

This is such a great point... (view spoiler)

message 33: by BMAD_addicts (last edited Jan 08, 2018 12:49AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments Ronnie wrote: "BMAD_addicts wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my teeth hurt as ..."

Yea... Now that i think of it i do feel bad for Dorian, the King seems to dismiss him and the fact that Dorian is much more compassionate, the king is even more tough on him. He definitely doesn't want to rule like his father but lacks the confidence to stand up to the King.

I'm definitely rooting for him 🙌🙌

message 34: by Ju (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ju Transcendancing (transcendancing) BMAD_addicts wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "BMAD_addicts wrote: "Ronnie wrote: "Ju wrote: "Well now, this book is really unbelievable, I'm sure there's actually a good book in here, but as it is, the ridiculous aspects make my..."

Oh yes! Yes, this! I love that he's different to the King and I want him to be able to be better - but he needs so much more support than he's got right now.

Consuelo | 190 comments Today I have started to read this book, I have read about 25% of it. In my opinion Celaena looks pretty confident with her abilities, I hope she is going to have problems because of that in the next pages. Nehema looks like an interesting character, maybe too similar with the Celaena in some characteristics, but I will wait until I read more of the book to have a firm opinion about her. Also, I don't like any of the men character, I hope in the future my opinion about them will improve.
PS: Sorry for my English, I am not a native English speaker, but I am trying to improve my English skills.

Sarah | 19 comments First few chapters in, I like the way the author sets the scene. I can see that there is going to be a bit of drama. Love the description of the caption and his cloak

message 37: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2630 comments I finished this a few days ago. Here's my review if you want to know what I think. Spoilers are marked

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 38: by BMAD_addicts (last edited Jan 11, 2018 06:31PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments SarahKat wrote: "I finished this a few days ago. Here's my review if you want to know what I think. Spoilers are marked

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Awesome review SarahKat!! I honestly agree with everything you say, it was a re read for me and i'm so surprised that i didnt like it that much as i did when i first read it (didnt read that much YA then and met so many other great author since then ). This book is the first book the author published and while it is bad, the writing is still acceptable. But as a fan of the series I can tell you (view spoiler). If anyone is interested to continue reading the works of the author, Sarah J Maas, I would reccomend her other series as well A Court of Thorns and Roses (the writing is so much better!)

message 39: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 3 stars

SarahKat | 2630 comments BMAD_addicts wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "I finished this a few days ago. Here's my review if you want to know what I think. Spoilers are marked

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show..."

Awesome review SarahKat!!..."

Thank you! And good to know!

Consuelo | 190 comments In my previous message I forgot to say that I want to join in with this book (I supposed that when you write a comment you automatically join in with the buddy read). At present I have read about 80% of the book and my opinion about the characters haven’t changed a lot. Maybe, my opinion about Chaol is a little better, he looks more kind and less a military guy. About the main plot (view spoiler). About the romantic plot, (view spoiler)

Consuelo | 190 comments I just finish the book. My feelings about it are a bit contradictory. I like the story, but also, I think that the development of the plot is not the best. I hope to see an improvement in the next books of the series. One of the moments I like more is when (view spoiler). Another of my hopes is to read in the next books a bigger development of the secondary characters, they will have interesting stories to explain.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments Finished the book. The plot was enjoyable but the age of the main character seemed a bit unbelievable. I also think I would have enjoyed it if was a bit darker and more violent putting the protagonist in a bit more peril. Regardless of the flaws I want to see what happens next.

Scott Flicker | 1191 comments sure Mikayla

message 44: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm only 3 chapters in and these chapters are really short which I like but it hasn't totally grabbed me yet. I'm glad to see that most of you say it starts off slow.

Courtney | 15 comments I would like to join on this BR. I realize it's kinda late, but I will do my best :)

message 46: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm 25% into the book. I just completed chapter 14. It's still early yet but it is still a slow start. I already agree with Scott that Celaena's age does seem to be a bit unbelievable. I'm wondering where the love triangle comes in. No real love interest yet although she obviously spends a lot of her time with one person.

message 47: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm halfway now. I just read through chapter 28. It is starting to pick up for me. (view spoiler)

I see how some are annoyed with the characterization of Celaena. I'm trying to ignore that in the book and just believe she is really talented at everything at her age.

message 48: by Joan (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joan Barnett | 790 comments I'm now at page 302 and fully invested in the story. (view spoiler)

message 49: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ilona | 3739 comments I had some time and decided to read this book yesterday. I am not sure what I was expecting, but after reading OCOTAR (which I loved), I think my expectations were pretty high.
This book was so disappointing. I feel like I have read YA fantasy books with similar plot lines, and similar love triangles.
I am not sure yet whether I continue this series, maybe one more to see if the writing improves?

BMAD_addicts | 100 comments Ilona wrote: "I had some time and decided to read this book yesterday. I am not sure what I was expecting, but after reading OCOTAR (which I loved), I think my expectations were pretty high.
This book was so dis..."

Yes Please do!! The writing and story will get better. I know that some people might not like this series after reading this book but as a fan of the series i encourage you to read the rest of it.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.