What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Naming (The Books of Pellinor, #1)
This topic is about The Naming
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. YA Fantasy - Young Girl in Mountain Village Goes on Adventure w/Older Guy/Guard/Mentor? [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments I read this book sometime in elementary/middle school, anywhere from '05-'10.

All I can really remember is the beginning of the book. It starts out with a young girl, who is also the main protagonist, who lives as a servant/slave in a mountainous village. She mentions that the men (or guards?) in the village usually assault the servants but they leave her alone because they think she's different (possibly something in her eyes? magic?). They tried to drown her once but didn't succeed and now usually leave her alone. One day, some older guy arrives and takes her away. I think he's a mentor/guard person. The two of them go on a long journey.

The other scene I remember is of them being attacked at night in a valley, I think, and the guy tells her to run, but she stays and sends a blast of power/magic towards their attackers, saving her mentor/guard's life, but seriously injures herself.

It's set in a fantasy world with some magic elements. It was a pretty long book, as I recall. I don't think it was part of a series, but could be. It was a very long journey with mainly the young girl and the older guy (who I seem to remember always wore black?).

I think she may be an heir, her family dead, but I don't know if that's another book I'm mixing it up with. Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

Jessica | 99 comments Maybe The Gift by Alison Croggon?

message 3: by Emily (new)

Emily | 2 comments Yes, that it's!!! Thank you so much!!!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gift (other topics)