Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

BOOK BESTIE: ARCHIVED > Pair 14: Tanya and Andrea (January 2018)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new)

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5533 comments Pair #14: Historical Fantasy.
Tanya and Andrea

Read a book off the YA Historical Fantasy List.

message 2: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (gottabook) | 3 comments Hi Tanya,

So I did a little research on titles listed for us and here are the top 4 I’m interested in reading. Unfortunately there’s a long queue at the library for The Gentleman’s Guide to Vice and Virtue so I didn’t include that or any other that wouldn’t be available until after our challenge.

What do you think?

1. Grave Mercy, Robin LaFevers
2. Princesses of the Midnight Ball, Jessica Day George
3. Keturah and Lord Death, Martine Leavitt
4. The Dark Days Club, Alison Goodman

Grave Mercy was rated highly on the Forever Young Adult blog and also highly recommended by readers whose reviews I trust. Also, if interested, there is an audiobook version that is an Earphones Award Winner as reviewed on audiofilemagazine.com

Princesses of the Midnight Ball is a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses fairy tale. A co-worker says the story is satisfying and the pacing is well done.

Keturah and Lord Death is described by Emily May as a “quiet and absolutely beautiful novel that was better than I anticipated....and beautiful magical simplicity in the writing” that really captured her imagination. The story follows Keturah as she loses her way in the woods and eventually Lord Death comes upon her. If Keturah can find her true love she will be able to postpone her date with Death. It is on her mission that readers are introduced to kings, magic spells, plagued and prophecies and Emily May says she was mesmerized, which is high praise coming from her.

The Dark Days Club also has high marks by a coworker. She says what she likes about Alison Goodman is that her “ideas truly feel fresh....Goodman introduces her own unique mythology blended into the shadows of 19th century London.” Her only criticism is of the book’s length (500 pages) with a slow patch in the middle but says not to worry it picks up again.

Also if you’re interested, there is an audiobook version of The Dark Days Club, which was an Earphones Award Winner on audioflemagazine.com which may be a nice accompaniment to pace us through the book.

message 3: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (gottabook) | 3 comments What do you think? Do you have any other contenders you’d like for us to consider?