Crazy for Young Adult Books discussion

The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1)
This topic is about The Warrior Heir
BOOK BESTIE: ARCHIVED > Pair 9: Elaine and Maria (January 2018)

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix), snowflakes and eyelashes (new) - rated it 4 stars

★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix) (ladyknightnix) | 5517 comments Pair #9: Fantasy.
Elaine and Maria

Read a book off the Best Young Adult Fantasy Books List.

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments Hey there Elaine! I did a quick scroll through the list and this one stood out to me :)
The Warrior Heir (The Heir Chronicles, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima
I don't know if you've read it before, but if this one is something you aren't interested in feel free to throw me another suggestion. I'm open to reading just about anything.

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments Hello! A very happy and healthy 2018 to you.

I am dying to see what book you are suggesting but it is not showing. Can you try adding it again?

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments Ha! Never mind, I looked on the laptop rather than my phone and it is showing now.

I think we should go with your first instinct and read that book! I will download it now.

Are you reading anything at the moment?

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments Happy 2018 to you too!

I'm currently making my way through This Mortal Coil, but I can read 2 books at the same time. Or maybe I'll end up finishing my current read today and it won't be a problem.

I'll go download the e-book as well and then we can figure out how we want to do this. I'm kind of new at this :)

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments I’m also new at this so we can feel our way through this together.

I’m just finishing the last book of A court of thrones and roses. I don’t want it to end 😫

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments Ahhhh... Those books are so good!! I'm so excited for the novella that's coming out this year!

I probably won't get much reading done until next week, but we have the whole month ahead of us so there is no rush. :)

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments Yes! I can’t wait either and for the last Red Queen and the next Throne of Glass books too. I feel like I need to read some of them again.

Let me know when you’re ready and then we can get this party started!!

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments Hey! Sorry for going missing but life's been pretty busy for the last week.

I'm ready to dive into this book though, so we can finally get started :)

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments Hi, not a problem. I’m super busy too. I’ll start the book tomorrow. X

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments Hi Hun,
Have you had a chance to start reading the book yet? If so, how have you found it so far?

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments Hi,
I'm about 100 pages in and it's pretty interesting so far. The magic system needs to be explained better though. I get the basics of it but there seem to be several different types of it that I can't really tell apart. I'm hoping for an explanation soon :)

How's it going for you?

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments I must admit I’m a little on the fence and it’s taking me forever to read it. I’ve normally finished a book by now but I’m only half way through.
It also feels like the story is rushed a little. Almost like the author is rushing through the foundation of the story and the characters to get to the juicy, action-packed parts faster. I also agree with what your saying about the different forms of magic.

I am enjoying it though. It’s still an overall good read. Maybe I’m not feeling it as much cause I have other things on my mind. I shall press on with my fingers crossed for it to get awesome.

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments So I figured I'd post a small update. I've spent the majority of today reading but I'm still only 300 pages in. It's a pretty slow process.
I agree with what you're saying about the story feeling a bit rushed. It was really obvious around the 200-page mark. There was this one passage that basically read like "and then a bunch of stuff happened."
I'm also realizing that I've anticipated quite a few of the smaller plot twists and I'm pretty sure I've worked out "the big one".
Despite the rush of the story and the feeling of it being a bit predictable, I still think it's pretty good. The magic system is different from anything I've read before so I really liked that part after I figured out how it worked.

Now I'm just hoping that the ending will manage to surprise me a little. You'd think that being wrong would annoy me, but it actually ticks me off when it turns out I'm right. Guess I'm just weird like that :)

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments Thanks for the update. I’m on about 80% now and can finally say it has drawn me in. Hopefully the plot will surprise me a little and not play out exactly like I think it will.

Sometimes I don’t even mind that a story plays out how I predict it to - because sometimes I really want it to work out that way. I think its how the story is told that makes the difference.

X

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments I finished the book last night and although I turned out to be right about most of it, the very ending didn't really go in the direction I anticipated. I'm not really sure how much I can say because I don't want to spoil anything :)

After a heavy debate with myself, I ended up giving it 4 stars although it felt more like a 3.5. (Goodreads really needs to introduce the half stars!)

Elle Caldwell | 104 comments I finished the book yesterday and gave it a 2. I desperately wanted to like the book because, like you, I thought there were some original ideas in it. I just wish it wasn’t so rushed. I also felt that some of the characters we a little card board. Like they were only there to help rush the story on.

I hope we get paired again at some point. Feel free message me if you want to read a book with me again. X

Raven (raven_reads_and_writes) | 93 comments I can agree with your point about the characters. The guy from the football team (I've already forgotten his name) is the most obvious of the bunch in the book that fits your description.

This was super fun, although I wish we would have read a book that both of us liked better :) And the same goes for you if you want to buddy read with me again! I'm on here pretty often so just send me a message :)