Archive - Award Winners > Little Fires Everywhere - January 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 76 (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 5949 comments Mod
Winner of the Fiction award

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng

In Shaker Heights, a placid, progressive suburb of Cleveland, everything is planned -- from the layout of the winding roads, to the colors of the houses, to the successful lives its residents will go on to lead. And no one embodies this spirit more than Elena Richardson, whose guiding principle is playing by the rules.

Enter Mia Warren -- an enigmatic artist and single mother -- who arrives in this idyllic bubble with her teenaged daughter Pearl, and rents a house from the Richardsons. Soon Mia and Pearl become more than tenants: all four Richardson children are drawn to the mother-daughter pair. But Mia carries with her a mysterious past and a disregard for the status quo that threatens to upend this carefully ordered community.

When old family friends of the Richardsons attempt to adopt a Chinese-American baby, a custody battle erupts that dramatically divides the town--and puts Mia and Elena on opposing sides. Suspicious of Mia and her motives, Elena is determined to uncover the secrets in Mia's past. But her obsession will come at unexpected and devastating costs.

message 2: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I'm excited to start this one! It's been getting a lot of good reviews. I've read that it's a slower character-driven story.

message 3: by Lynn, Moderator (new)

Lynn | 4071 comments Mod
Hopefully I'll get to this one, it's on my tbr for this month :)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I just got this one on audible and will be listening to it this month.

message 5: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Same here. Just started listening to it ...

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Where I live Overdrive says the audio is “at least six months” wait and the book version is “at least 16 weeks” which I always face & it’s so frustrating! I end up spending a lot of money because of it.

message 7: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Yes, it's the same here for me. But, I can put holds on books and then suspend the hold while I'm waiting for them which really helps a lot scheduling things out over the year. For those that come up on short notice (like Little Fires Everywhere) I use my audible subscription.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Yeah, I'm probably also going to use my audible subscription. I'm not sure I understand how suspending a hold helps. Do you mean you take it off hold and put it back on later?

message 9: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 01, 2018 07:02AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

I used my Audible subscription of this one too and I plan to start it today! :)

I used to love when my old library would allow me to suspend my hold!! I'm so disappointed that my new library doesn't let me do that. It was SO helpful.

Vicki - When you suspend a hold, it keeps your name on the hold list, but you don't get the book when you get to #1 until you reactivate the hold. So for a popular book, you can put your name on the hold list when it first comes out, then you just suspend it so your name still moves up the list. When you're ready to read it, you reactivate the hold and you're already the #1 hold, so you get it right away.

The one good thing my library started doing is that they make really popular books "too hot to hold" so that a few copies of the book won't be put on the holds shelf and you can sometimes find them in the library. I follow them online so I know when they are due back and have a good chance of getting them when they are returned.

message 10: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Savanes | 2017 comments Mod
I hope I will be able to read this one too! :)

Katie Looking forward to it

message 12: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I think my library system (it's a big county with lots of different cities/branches) has some presence copies for many books even if they aren't "hot" .. you can locate them online and pick them up from wherever their home location is. But, with the really popular books, they are still very hard to get that way.

With Overdrive, I can select to suspend for up to 180 days after putting a hold on a copy (via the hold page). Once that time has passed, I usually get the book right away (unless I'm still not at the top of the waiting list). For regular books (not overdrive, but my actual library catalog), I can "pause" any holds and then resume whenever I want to. To me, the whole hold option is just amazing as I can get books or DVDs from all branches in the system which would otherwise require so much time for me to drive around .. they used to charge a little bit for holds, but don't even do that anymore. I'm a huge fan of my local libraries. They also have really awesome reading programs for kids over the summer ...

message 13: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lucky you Janina, I wish I had access to overdrive but no such thing in France/Morocco or very very poor catalog especially in English! :(

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I need to look into Overrdrive more. I have it but don't really understand it or use it. I have only used it for the audiosync program.

I started the book and listened about 2 hours so far. It is good. I like how she is describing (view spoiler)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "I need to look into Overrdrive more. I have it but don't really understand it or use it. I have only used it for the audiosync program.

I started the book and listened about 2 hours so far. It is ..."

Sorry because this doesn't fit here, but I had to say hello to you, Vicki. I have never (that I can remember) met another person to spell her name the way I do. Nice to meet you. :)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Haha!
Me too and I ended up adding my last name because I was getting confused. :)

message 17: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 5 (about 2 hours in): I agree, Vicki. The (view spoiler)

Chris Just visited Cleveland in May for the first time - so when I read this I at least knew some of the areas they talked about!! Really enjoyed the ending - the journey of getting to the end was a fast one as I was hooked on this story from the beginning...Couldn't wait to see what happened to the child. Our library doesn't have overdrive but we have the 3m system - you check out the book like overdrive - but find I use my kindle more than my pc.

message 19: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I think I'm currently in chapter 6 (around 25%). I'm liking it so far, but I'm not super intrigued by the story or any of the characters. I think this may end up being too stilted/literary fiction for my taste. But, we'll see.

Ceylan (CeyGo) (ceylo) | 3 comments This is my other book club book for this month and I’ve been waiting for it on overdrive for at least 6weeks and there’s still a long list of people ahead of me 😞

message 21: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments Oh, I’m loving chapter 8 :)

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hoping to get there today, Janina!

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I am not sure what chapter I am on. I am on audible and I don't stop and start with chapters.

What did you love about it Janina?

I am at at the part where (view spoiler)

message 24: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments The part in your spoiler, Vicki.

It was quite funny. I can't even imagine being a high school teacher .. (not sure elementary would be my thing either, but at least they tend to think you're awesome vs you're so lame)

message 25: by Diane (new)

Diane | 69 comments Looks like lots of us have the Audible version. This is the first time I have used my Audible subscription for a fictional novel. I prefer to have the book to hold and feel the pages turn in my hands but I had a credit, so I used it. I’m about 20% through and I think using Audible for fiction novels is something that will take me a while to get used to. I’m not complaining about the reading, in fact, I think she is really good. It’s just that I miss the comfort of holding the book.

I am enjoying the story though and I’m really looking forward to reading more this year with the group.

message 26: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments I’m usually in the car for about 1.5hrs every day commuting. I think without audible/books to listen to, I would go crazy. This way, I’m actually looking forward to my commute everyday and have had times when I was happy to learn about yet another traffic jam along the way. I prefer fiction so I can relax a bit along the way.

message 27: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

When I first started listening to audios I struggled with it. Then I found that it was a distraction when driving home from a stressful job. It required my attention in a way that just listening to music didn’t, which was very useful. Now I love them! I think I probably listen to more audios than books I physically read each year.

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I love audio too and my go to with it is the gym and walking the dogs. I can tell right away when I have a dud because I am not as motivated to work out.

I like the narrator on this one. She is good.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Haha!
Me too and I ended up adding my last name because I was getting confused. :)"

I'm so sorry. You were here first, I think, but I didn't realize there was another Vicki when I signed up for the group.

message 30: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Jan 06, 2018 12:27PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 7 (view spoiler)

Just read where your last spoiler was at, Vicki W.

message 31: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Through chapter 10 (view spoiler)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Vicki wrote: "Vicki Willis wrote: "Haha!

I'm so sorry. You were here first, I think, but I didn't realize there was another Vicki w..."

Nonono!! I was laughing! The more the merrier! :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Vicki Willis wrote: "Vicki wrote: "Vicki Willis wrote: "Haha!

I'm so sorry. You were here first, I think, but I didn't realize there was a..."

Hahaha! Thanks, Vicki, because I am a nice person who doesn't like stepping on anyone's toes! :)

message 34: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki - We love having you both in the group! No worries. I’m sure we’ll be able to figure it out. :)

When I was a kid, I moved across the street from another girl that had my exact name, even spelled the same. We thought middle names might help, but nope. We both had the exact same middle name too! We somehow always knew who was who in conversations, etc, and ended up being really good friends.

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Kristie, that's so funny. I've never had a nickname before except things like "babe" or when my parents called me their term of endearment but I'm not sharing that. LOL

We could be Vicki 1 and Vicki 2 or Vicki W and Vicki E or I could be the old Vicki lol or to be more polite the older Vicki.

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I think we are all good. There is a picture next to our name for reference. I am just a scatterbrain. I did just think it was cool because I have never met another Vicki with just an i.
Don't change anything on your account, Vicki, seriously. :)

Vicki (goodreadscomboobooper49) | 67 comments Okay, Vicki, I'll leave it be and not worry about it anymore. :)

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I figured out how to know what chapter I am on with my audible.
I am at chapter 12 and now I know what the issue is!
(view spoiler)

message 39: by Savanes, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I just started this last night so I'm a little behind but I like the writing style so far. :)

message 40: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I agree, Vicki. (view spoiler)

message 41: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Glad you're joining us, Savanes!

message 42: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

I finished! I was so surprised by some of the twists. (view spoiler)

I really enjoyed this one. I thought it was a great read with so many interesting relationships. I also felt that it was mostly realistic and these situations could really happen in real life.

Vicki Willis | 834 comments I am right around 50% and things are starting to build.
I figured out how to know what chapter I am on. I am through chapter 12.

I like how (view spoiler)

I agree with you Kristie about how these type of relationships do feel possible. (view spoiler)

message 44: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki - (view spoiler)

message 45: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jan 14, 2018 04:39PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki Willis | 834 comments Kristie, per message 44
(view spoiler)

End of chap 14 - about 65%
(view spoiler)

This book feels very different to me than her other book, Everything I Never Told You. That one was much slower for me. The pacing on this one is better and the story is more layered.

message 46: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Vicki - response to spoilers up to End of chap 14 - about 65% (view spoiler)

message 47: by Lory (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lory Sakay | 36 comments I just finished this last night and I have to say am a bit disappointed. It wasn't horrible but I was expecting amazing and great...and it wasn't that either.

message 48: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Interesting, Lorry. Reviews seem to be all over the place for this one. What did you like or not like about it?

message 49: by Lory (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lory Sakay | 36 comments Kristie wrote: "Interesting, Lorry. Reviews seem to be all over the place for this one. What did you like or not like about it?"

I'm trying to give myself sometime to digest... is it that I absolutely loved the book I read right before and I'm comparing them? Is it that it seemed that nothing got resolved or grew from Izzie lighting the fires? Is it that I expected more intrigue and "wow!" after all the acclaim?
It flowed, I wanted to know what was going to happen next but I wasn't enthralled with this story. The characters' personalities didn't seem to be consistent throughout either and some incidents were not believable.

message 50: by Cherene (new) - added it

Cherene | 4 comments Late reply, but someone above said they didn’t know how to tell what chapter they were on via audible. If you connect via your iPhone. There’s a button for “Chapters” at the bottom. It highlights the chapter you’re in.

« previous 1