Aussie Readers discussion

Stars Across the Ocean
This topic is about Stars Across the Ocean
Archives > January 2018 - Final Thoughts - **Spoilers Allowed** - Stars Across the Ocean

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Brenda | 70516 comments Mod
Final thoughts (and reviews if you like) on Stars Across the Ocean by Kimberley Freeman Stars Across the Ocean by Kimberley Freeman

Kathryn | 3508 comments Spoiler if you aren't up to p404 (view spoiler)

message 3: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ooh - I'll resist Kathryn :)

Kathryn | 3508 comments Good idea, Brenda! It's a major spoiler if you aren't up to that point!

message 5: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I haven't started yet! lol

Andrea | 1680 comments I finished this book last night, but haven’t reviewed it yet. It was my first by this author and although I found it a little predictable, I thought it was really entertaining and a very enjoyable read. I think I have one other of her books in my Kindle library, so I’ll look forward to reading that at some point.

I liked how the author used a present-day anchor for the main story (i.e. the historical part), but I actually wish this had been given more pages and depth. I guess that’s a sign that she wrote it well! I’d be happy to read a whole novel about Victoria and her mum.

Andrea | 1680 comments Kathryn wrote: "Spoiler if you aren't up to p404 [spoilers removed]"

Yes, I felt this was a tad predictable, but it didn’t detract from my enjoyment. I was just waiting for the character in question to catch on to what I was already fairly certain about!

message 8: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished this late last night and absolutely loved it! I've just written my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm finding myself thinking about it all the time - Agnes' character was so gutsy and focussed, strong and determined - I thoroughly enjoyed the novel and look forward to Wildflower Hill which I have on my kindle :)

Thanks to whoever nominated this one!

Kathryn | 3508 comments Brenda wrote: "I finished this late last night and absolutely loved it! I've just written my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm finding myself thinking about it all the time - Agnes' ch..."

I enjoyed it too, although Agnes did irritate me a little with her determination to see things how she wanted to see them, despite all evidence to the contrary!! But she was everything that you said!

I think Mish might have nominated it.

message 10: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I saw that as tenacity in her want to find out who she was and where she was from :)

Thanks Mish!!

Kathryn | 3508 comments Brenda wrote: "I saw that as tenacity in her want to find out who she was and where she was from :)"

Yes - or an over-romanticised notion that she stubbornly clung to without taking the whole truth into account. Possible spoiler for anyone not finished (view spoiler) Not that there would have been as much of a story then!

message 12: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

So true! I'd worked that out myself, but I enjoyed how we got there :)

gathering feather organiceden | 86 comments I’ve reserved this story from the library... looking forward to reading it soon:)

message 14: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I hope you get it soon Doreen :)

Michelle Williams | 15 comments I finished Stars Across The Ocean last night. I really enjoyed this adventure! The story was slightly unbelievable, but I don't read fiction to necessarily be realistic. :-) I loved Agnes and her strong character, although I thought she was a little too stubborn in seeing the world from her own perspective and ignoring facts and advice along the way - typical 19 year old? I liked the interweaving of Tori's story with her mother and I loved Moineau's story, especially the end. The outcome was predictable, but since I love a happy ending, that suited me fine.

message 16: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well said Michelle!

Kathryn | 3508 comments Michelle wrote: "I loved Agnes and her strong character, although I thought she was a little too stubborn in seeing the world from her own perspective and ignoring facts and advice along the way..."

My thoughts exactly, Michelle!!

And as Andrea said, I'd have liked more of Tori and her mother's story in the mix to create a better balance - I really enjoyed the small glimpse into that storyline.

Heather | 355 comments Finished. I did like the characters. I did like how the style was different for the three different time periods, although I have to admit I preferred the presence tense writing the most.

message 19: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 11682 comments Mod
I enjoyed it but did not see why it was necessary to have the three time periods. It was a bit gimmicky to me. Agnes' story written as a straight historical adventure would have been just fine! She pretty much took up the whole book anyway:)
Nice story, well told though.

Kathryn | 3508 comments Phrynne wrote: "I enjoyed it but did not see why it was necessary to have the three time periods. It was a bit gimmicky to me. Agnes' story written as a straight historical adventure would have been just fine! She..."

I thought that was quite clever since Tori found the letter that her mum had lying around, but only in bits and pieces, and so that gave us Moineau's story, which led us to Agnes' story from the other end from her character's point of view.

Unfortunately, though, I was most interested in Tori's story - more than either of the others, and it's the one we probably got the least of!!

message 21: by Phrynne, Series Queen! (new) - rated it 4 stars

Phrynne | 11682 comments Mod
That's our difference Kathryn! I was only interested in Agnes so the other stories felt like intrusions. So I can see it is clever but for me it was unnecessary.
Isn't it funny how we all get such different feelings from the same books:)

Kathryn | 3508 comments Phrynne wrote: "Isn't it funny how we all get such different feelings from the same books:)..."

Yes, isn't it?!!

I'm not sure how you describe it when books have stories from different eras in the same book, but I generally don't mind books written like that. However it seems like not long ago, most of the books I read were just "straight-through" sort of books with one story and one character's point of view, and ones with stories told in different periods or with multiple points of view were something different. But now it feels like the majority of books have, at the very least, flashbacks to a previous time and it can sometimes get a bit irritating if you just want a normal story!!

message 23: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

I agree - Agnes' story was the most interesting to me :) But I did enjoy Moineau's story as well. Tori's just tied it all together :)

message 24: by Mish (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 3495 comments I finished the book and found that I highly enjoyed Agnes quest and her adventures around the world to find her mother. I thought at the beginning I may have wanted equal parts of the present as well as the past but when Freeman introduced the letters from Moineau my focus turned solely on the past - with Agnes and Moineau. So all in all I thought it was a good balance of different time periods for me.

However I have to agree with Kathryn about (view spoiler) So for that reason I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.

message 25: by Mish (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 3495 comments Brenda wrote: "I finished this late last night and absolutely loved it! I've just written my review: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

I'm finding myself thinking about it all the time - Agnes' ch..."

Yes it was me Brenda! :) Glad you like it. I really like Agnes fighting spirit too!

message 26: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well thanks Mish! I really enjoyed it! She was a feisty little thing wasn't she ;)

Andrea | 1680 comments Mish wrote: "Yes it was me..."

Thanks Mish, I may never have read this if it hadn't been chosen as the group read for January. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

message 28: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's why group reads are so good I think! I'm the same Andrea :)

message 29: by Mish (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 3495 comments Andrea wrote: "Mish wrote: "Yes it was me..."

Thanks Mish, I may never have read this if it hadn't been chosen as the group read for January. I thoroughly enjoyed it."

That's great Andrea! Happy you enjoyed it too :)

message 30: by Mish (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 3495 comments Brenda wrote: "That's why group reads are so good I think! I'm the same Andrea :)"

Agree Brenda! group reads are definitely a good way to try something new or you wouldn't normally read.

Looking forward to next months group read!

message 31: by Brenda, Aussie Authors Queen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Next months is Carolyn's choice :)

message 32: by Kadi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kadi (kads) | 99 comments I didn't mind it although it isn't really my type of story. I also found it predictable. I would have preferred more of Tori and her mum's story.

message 33: by Mish (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 3495 comments It's funny because when I read the prologue with Tori and her mum it took me back to the time I read Still Alice. So I thought it was going to be a very powerful, profound novel looking into Alzheimers in more detail. It turned out nothing like it! But I still enjoyed it :)

However, in saying that those who preferred more of Tori and mum's story might really like Still Alice...if you haven't yet read it :)

Kathryn | 3508 comments Mish wrote: "It's funny because when I read the prologue with Tori and her mum it took me back to the time I read Still Alice. So I thought it was going to be a very powerful, profound novel look..."

I've always thought Still Alice might be a bit too heartbreaking, but perhaps I should just bite the bullet and settle down with a box of tissues and the book and read it...!

message 35: by Mish (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mish | 3495 comments Kathryn wrote: "Mish wrote: "It's funny because when I read the prologue with Tori and her mum it took me back to the time I read Still Alice. So I thought it was going to be a very powerful, profou..."

Kathryn, it's not as bad as you may think. It's most definitely sad and scary but I really don't think you'll need the box of tissues. It one of those books that's an eye opener, and will stay with you for a very long time.

Kathryn | 3508 comments Mish wrote: "Kathryn wrote: "Mish wrote: "It's funny because when I read the prologue with Tori and her mum it took me back to the time I read Still Alice. So I thought it was going to be a very ..."

I wouldn't say I normally sob through books, but I did need tissues for Me Before You (different issues, but a heart-wrenching read), and I've had a couple of grandparents with dementia, so I thought that emotional connection might make it harder to read... Maybe only part of the box of tissues might be needed...!

Andrea | 1680 comments Kathryn wrote: "I've had a couple of grandparents with dementia, so I thought that emotional connection might make it harder to read ..."

I was thinking about that when you brought it up the other day. I don't have any close personal connections to dementia (yet - touch wood), so although it was a sad and emotional read for me, it was bearable.

Regardless, I'd still highly recommend it.

Kathryn | 3508 comments Andrea wrote: "Regardless, I'd still highly recommend it..."

OK, I'll bear it in mind, Andrea and Mish!

message 39: by Tien (new) - rated it 3 stars

Tien (tiensblurb) | 601 comments Kathryn wrote: "Spoiler if you aren't up to p404 [spoilers removed]"

Hmm, yes, I am v. irritated too! And well, I guessed right (view spoiler)so bleh, sorry, I don't like being proven right lol

Carolyn | 8143 comments I've finished the book yesterday and enjoyed it. For some reason I was expecting that Tori's story would end up tying in with Agnes' so was a bit disappointed that there wasn't more to it. I did guess where this was heading as Moineau's story unfolded, but felt the author was pointing us in that direction by including this thread in the novel. (Also agree re the button being a bit flimsy!)