Our Shared Shelf discussion

Intersectional Feminism > Right to vote for women - a centenary

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Since it is 2018:) (at least in Europe/Africa and eastwards:)) I wanted to create this topic, because it is a CENTENARY since most countries in Europe allowed women to vote.
A CENTURY, that is such a long time... WWI had a huge impact on Europe, and one of its impacts is that in most countries the women suffrage came either in 1918 or 1919. Austria is among those who had it 1918, after the proclamation of the Republic, the United Kingdom as well in 1918.

What is more, is that this of course is a huge change in a society. Who is and isn't allowed to vote in elections (and be elected as a matter of fact), has huge impacts on societies.
And so, in remembering our foremothers who fought for their right and our right to vote, I think we must also think about all the women who are not allowed to vote and would wish to do so. This is feminism - all of us uniting, and helping our sisiters in their demands.

WeStandUnited!

message 2: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Emma wrote: "Wow, I didn't think about this! 100 years since that big marker of progress - and here's hope to much more progress in the next century!"

When we are vigilant, and keep the values of democracy high - and push for the change we want to see in the world, we will get there. With social media, so much more is possible, and we really ought to use these possibilities...

message 3: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1086 comments Mod
Great topic MeerderWorter.

Where do we start?

message 4: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Pam wrote: "Great topic MeerderWorter.

Where do we start?"

Start with what? If ya tell me that, we can figure out a plan;)

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 1086 comments Mod
I think we must also think about all the women who are not allowed to vote and would wish to do so.... and helping our sisiters in their demands.

Are there specific groups who are currently fighting for the right to vote we should direct our attentions?

message 6: by MeerderWörter (new)

MeerderWörter | 2388 comments Pam wrote: "I think we must also think about all the women who are not allowed to vote and would wish to do so.... and helping our sisiters in their demands.

Are there specific groups who are currently fight..."

Saudi Arabia? But I'd be very careful, in general it is never a good idea to march in (literally or figuratively) and say we have the answer to your problem. Always ask first, and ask how you can help, how the people you want to help need help.