Historical Romance Book Club discussion

Gaol/Buddy Reads & Challenges > BR - Love by Numbers Series - Sarah MacLean

Comments Showing 1-50 of 106 (106 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Loriidae (last edited Mar 03, 2018 02:42AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments LOVE BY NUMBERS BOOK #3 March 12
Discussion thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3) by Sarah MacLean Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart
There is no telling where a scandal might lead...

She lives for passion.

Bold, impulsive, and a magnet for trouble, Juliana Fiori is no simpering English miss. She refuses to play by society’s rules: she speaks her mind, cares nothing for the approval of the ton, and can throw a punch with remarkable accuracy. Her scandalous nature makes her a favorite subject of London’s most practiced gossips... and precisely the kind of woman the Duke of Leighton wants far far away from him.

He swears by reputation.

Scandal is the last thing Simon Pearson has room for in his well-ordered world. The Duke of Disdain is too focused on keeping his title untainted and his secrets unknown. But when he discovers Juliana hiding in his carriage late one evening—risking everything he holds dear—he swears to teach the reckless beauty a lesson in propriety.

She has other plans, however; she wants two weeks to prove that even an unflappable duke is not above passion.

LOVE BY NUMBERS BOOK #2 February 6
Discussion thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2) by Sarah MacLean Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord
“Lord Nicholas is a paragon of manhood. And his eyes, Dear Reader! So blue!” Pearls & Pelisses, June 1823

Since being named on of London’s “Lords to Land” by a popular ladies’ magazine, Nicholas St. John has been relentlessly pursued by every matrimony-minded female in the ton. So when an opportunity to escape fashionable society presents itself, he eagerly jumps—only to land in the path of the most determined, damnably delicious woman he’s ever met!

The daughter of a titled wastrel, Lady Isabel Townsend has too many secrets and too little money. Though used to taking care of herself quite handily, her father’s recent passing has left Isabel at sea and in need of outside help to protect her young brother’s birthright. The sinfully handsome, eminently eligible Lord Nicholas could be the very salvation she seeks.

But the lady must be wary and not do anything reckless… like falling madly, passionately in love.

LOVE BY NUMBERS BOOK #1 January 5
Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1) by Sarah MacLean Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake
A lady does not smoke cheroot. She does not ride astride. She does not fence or attend duels. She does not fire a pistol, and she never gambles at a gentlemen's club.

Lady Calpurnia Hartwell has always followed the rules, rules that have left her unmarried—and more than a little unsatisfied. And so she's vowed to break the rules and live the life of pleasure she's been missing.

But to dance every dance, to steal a midnight kiss—to do those things, Callie will need a willing partner. Someone who knows everything about rule-breaking. Someone like Gabriel St. John, the Marquess of Ralston—charming and devastatingly handsome, his wicked reputation matched only by his sinful smile.

If she's not careful, she'll break the most important rule of all—the one that says that pleasure-seekers should never fall hopelessly, desperately in love.

message 2: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Starting January 5 everyone welcome.

message 3: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments So excited! This is my last series by her to read. I may have to reread some of her books when we're done with this series. I adored 2, 3, & 4 of her Rules of Scoundrels.

message 4: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments I have started and am enjoying the narration.

message 5: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments I liked the bedroom scene I was wondering how SM was going to engineer the meeting / reacquaintance

message 6: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 06, 2018 02:56AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Through Chapter Three
Didn't get far, hubby is home on holidays! Interfering with my reading plans ;)

message 7: by Giselle (last edited Jan 06, 2018 05:01AM) (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments My husband usually does the same. haha. I just got to chapter 8. I agree with the bedroom scene. It was unexpected. She certainly has gumption. Everything she does it surprising.

Beginning of chapter 8 thoughts (view spoiler)

message 8: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments I'm on Chapter 14. (view spoiler)

message 9: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments End of Chapter 15 (view spoiler)

message 10: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Giselle wrote: "....Beginning of chapter 8 thoughts...."

The carriage scene was hot and well written. Loved the whole library scene with big brother.

PS. I think it's only you and I here. Don't worry about spoiler tags, if you just write the chapter heading that will work for me.

message 11: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Never one to avoid a bookseller.... A girl after our own hearts.

Yes I see what you mean about Catherine and Anne, impetuous but serious at the same time.

message 12: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 07, 2018 05:15AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments At the end of chapter12, so didn't get that far, finding the fencing plot a bit lame, but haven't got to her entering the club.

Loved the argument, enjoyed how the narrator brought the opera setting to life.

Will try for a bit more tomorrow.

message 13: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments End of Chapter 17 thoughts

Ugh. So. Here's my problem. They're talking about mistresses and courtesans, right? He barely just got rid of his mistress. Yet then he talks about how he knows that they live terrible lives, trapped in cages, yet he had one. And then when she makes the comment about how she would become a mistress he's all like "no! You deserve better than that!" Ugh. I just hate that. You deserve better. Essentially saying that those other women don't matter. I mean obviously they don't matter to him since he's used them too. I really don't like him. If a guy said that to me I would be utterly disturbed. I guess this is where my problem with romance heroes having mistresses really bothers me. It's why I love the virgin hero trope because I always see it as the hero really respecting women. And obviously that's very different for a historical romance and a contemporary one. I dunno. Does any of that ever make you feel gross when you're reading a historical romance?

message 14: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Sweet rain... ICK! no. no. no.

message 15: by Giselle (last edited Jan 07, 2018 07:02AM) (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments End of Chapter 18

No, no, no. He did not just take her list. I am not happy about this. That list is hers. If he ends up reading it without her permission I will punch him in the throat. URG!! I was liking this book so much. And I still really like Cali. But Gabriel is terrible. He doesn't deserve her. What was jackass. (not just because of the list, because of everything.)

message 16: by Giselle (last edited Jan 07, 2018 07:22AM) (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments More thoughts...How did I forgot to mention that HE BET ON HER! UGHHHHHH!!!! My disgust with Gabriel grows and grows. That is not okay at all. And the fact that hes seen her all those times with the other guy and never warned her that he's doing it for money. Foul.

message 17: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments End of Chapter 23

HA! That's what you get, you bastard!!

message 18: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments End of Chapter 24

He deserved to be shot for making that bet! I do really liked that MacLean finished up the list! It was plotted well in that regard.

message 19: by Giselle (last edited Jan 07, 2018 09:14AM) (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments End of Book

So....I loved Cali. I hated Gabriel. The plot was really cute though. I enjoyed how the title actually made sense in regards to the story and plot. But I swear if I read the sentence "notorious rake" again, I'm going to lose it. But overall this was fun. It's a 3 star book for me. And I really do love MacLean's writing. '

I'm excited to hear your thoughts and to continue onto the next book next month!

message 20: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 08, 2018 12:46AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments My thoughts before reading your spoilers :)

I am at the part where Callie is at the ball in the beautiful dress. I really wanted Royston to step up and claim the dance was his before the Baron. (Chapter 21)

The wager!! I think Royston is oblivious that it will all blow up in his face. He hasn't given a thought to the fact that he has objectified Callie, (which it appears also to be common for the time, women being only worthwhile when viewed for dowries and children).

I am enjoying Callie, but yes the 10 year obsession seems a little unrealistic. I would have liked a catch up paragraph, perhaps seeing him at balls or glimpses in the distance etc, it's a lot to place on one brief meeting.

I was very sceptical of the fencing plot but SM made it work in the end.

I like the protective side of Royston coming out when he changed the rules of the gambling, so it was private with the two of them. It was a good opportunity for them to have a conversation that they couldn't have had otherwise due to society restrictions.

Royston's character, I was cross with him in lots of ways but also understood that he was a product of his time. Used to being in control, to not being questioned, oblivious to the world of others. I liked that he wasn't silver tongued he kept messing up and fumbling for words, and felt misunderstood.

As an afterthought I was cross about the continual references to damaging her reputation, if her reputation was so important than why rush heedlessly into these situations. It all seemed unplanned and impetuous without thought to her reputation. Oh my does that even make sense (grin)

message 21: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Ok the mistresses. I must admit I am not overly bothered. In this instance because in his mind he has treated his mistress very well, settling the house etc on her.

Although as you say he is showing his arrogance, selfishness and casual disdain of others.

I am adamant that a relationship must be over before he kisses the heroine. That is a must for me, and I don't particularly like the ones where he meets the girl and then goes off to his mistress. I tend to think of them as exs, and as long as they stay that way!

I do like the virgin hero trope, but I am also a fan of the reformed rake!

message 22: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments The list! Yes I agree totally, but my initial thought was why was it even there, did I miss her tucking it away, or is she carrying it continually for some reason?

message 23: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments The wager
I hadn't thought of that good point that Royston should have warned Callie about Oxford, (Mari has him worked out - clever girl), but of course then he would have had to confess his own complicity.

message 24: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:06AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Giselle wrote: "Sweet rain... ICK! no. no. no."

Yeah I picked that up too! Gross

message 25: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 08, 2018 01:08AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments I will finish it up tonight/tomorrow.

PS this is so much better than "finished - I liked it" ;)

message 26: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Finished - overall I am not as harsh, 4 stars. I enjoyed the writing, and as you say the title although rather long actually made sense! Thinking Lady in Red here :)

I think the only thing that bugged me in the final chapters is that Callie referred in her mind to the list as being ridiculous when she was embarrassed by the thought of Gabriel reading it. I didn't like that his probable opinion caused her to doubt the thing that haf held so strong through the book.

I agree Callie was a sweetie, I also found Gabriel arrogant and overbearing, but I didn't dislike him as much as you did. :) I also enjoyed his lesson in humility!

One thing I found weird though was the lack of interaction between Callie and her mother.

message 27: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Seeing as it is just us, how about I edit the thread to read the series name and we continue on here in this thread?

message 28: by Debby*BabyDee (new)

Debby*BabyDee | 657 comments I hope you all are enjoying the book. I read the number series and thought they were very enjoyable. I did like this one and fan of SM. Happy reading.

message 29: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Okay. I needed a break to feel less stressed with life. So here are my thoughts on your thoughts finally.

the 10 year obsession seems a little unrealistic. I would have liked a catch up paragraph, perhaps seeing him at balls or glimpses in the distance etc, it's a lot to place on one brief meeting.
I totally agree. It's one of the things I didn't like about her character. Just why though? Meeting him once and all she can think about is him. It's not like he had any redeeming characteristics either. :P

I was very skeptical of the fencing plot but SM made it work in the end.
I both agree and don't. It was fun and I love that it added to the list. But the coincidence of her just happening to go into that room even though it was supposed to be empty. And that it just happened to be him in there. *eye roll* It did turn into a spicy scene though. I do have to assume that that scar would show when wearing her short sleeved dresses though. I'm surprised that it wasn't a bigger deal that MacLean made it. Although I am glad that it wasn't completely forgotten. I know at some point it's brought up again.

Royston's character, I was cross with him in lots of ways but also understood that he was a product of his time. Used to being in control, to not being questioned, oblivious to the world of others. I liked that he wasn't silver tongued he kept messing up and fumbling for words, and felt misunderstood.
I must say I completely disagree. I have no sympathy for him. He just...ugh. Although I can appreciate when characters have to grow in the story, I don't feel like the end of the book did enough for me to redeem him for me. Too much of an asshole for me. I do like bumbly characters but he didn't feel that way to me. He just genuinely was a really unlikable person. I want my HR to forgo historical accurateness enough to not make all the men assholes. And I feel like MacLean ignores enough stuff (this book being an example of that) that she should make them better. Does that make sense?

As an afterthought I was cross about the continual references to damaging her reputation, if her reputation was so important than why rush heedlessly into these situations. It all seemed unplanned and impetuous without thought to her reputation. Oh my does that even make sense (grin)
Totally makes sense and I agree.

message 30: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Ok the mistresses. I must admit I am not overly bothered. In this instance because in his mind he has treated his mistress very well, settling the house etc on her. Although as you say he is showing his arrogance, selfishness and casual disdain of others.
Although it's true that yes, as far as it went, he treated her well. It still didn't redeem him because he's a scumbag. I did just read a book where the guy met her, was really liking her, she wasn't interested so he went and hooked up with someone else. And he pictured the other girl so he could finish... >.< ewwww!! So at least he wasn't that bad. And he already done with his mistress before he even met her because he was putting his sister first. Okay. Fine. So I guess he wasn't the worst ever. Just close. :P

The list! Yes I agree totally, but my initial thought was why was it even there, did I miss her tucking it away, or is she carrying it continually for some reason?
She just carried it everywhere. Several times it did mention her tucking it somewhere. I dunno why though. I guess so he could be a dick about it and force her into showing it even if she wasn't comfortable.

The wager - I hadn't thought of that good point that Royston should have warned Callie about Oxford, (Mari has him worked out - clever girl), but of course then he would have had to confess his own complicity.
Which he should have done anyway!!!! Especially since it was his own dumb fault that she was ever in danger! (danger meaning risking her happiness and her body.) He's such a slime ball for not telling her.

as you say the title although rather long actually made sense! Thinking Lady in Red here :)
I was thinking Lady in Red too. Like seriously though, who named that book?

I think the only thing that bugged me in the final chapters is that Callie referred in her mind to the list as being ridiculous when she was embarrassed by the thought of Gabriel reading it. I didn't like that his probable opinion caused her to doubt the thing that had held so strong through the book.
I completely agree! Gabriel sucks. She should have picked a man who wouldn't make her feel bad about her list. haha. (I HATE HIM SO MUCH!!!)

One thing I found weird though was the lack of interaction between Callie and her mother.
I really don't recall but you're probably right. She seemed to talk to her brother and sister all the time

message 31: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Loriidae wrote: "Seeing as it is just us, how about I edit the thread to read the series name and we continue on here in this thread?"

And lastly, that sounds perfect! Do you have a date you want to start?

message 32: by HR-ML (last edited Jan 24, 2018 10:31AM) (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) | 124 comments Hi All,

Sorry, I don't know the protocol here. Was this a group read?

I re-read this bk last month and really liked it better the first time. For me it really strains credibility for the heroine as a girl or adult to pine for the hero for 5 yrs or >. Much can happen during the elapsing time.

This heroine had relentless low self-esteem (LS-E) issues. This becomes tiresome as a plot point. Must mostly female romance authors feature LS-E? And if they do, can't the heroine gain in S-E as the story progresses?

Read a different HR where the h who was 5 fell in love w/ 13 YO hero. Wasn't this more of a crush?

message 33: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Hey HR welcome, we put this out as an informal buddy read, (as opposed to an organised whole group read), anyone can join in either.

Yes thinking about it, it is more of a crush, and I hadn't twigged to it but yes low self esteem as well.

What did you think of Blake? Giselle and I had very different opinions?

message 34: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 24, 2018 02:45PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Ok a date for Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord

For me, earlier in Feb, as we have the new Kelly Bowen releasing on the 20th, and Joanna and I are reading the new Caroline Linden My Once and Future Duke released on the 27th.

HR, Do you like KB and CL? Will you join us for the next SM?

message 35: by HR-ML (last edited Jan 25, 2018 09:52AM) (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) | 124 comments Hi Loriidae- Thanks for the response!

Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake
I liked the heroine better than the hero.

S. MacLean has been hit/ miss for me. I'd be more inclined to read C. Linden. Sorry I'm unclear what "SM" means?

message 36: by Joanna Loves Reading, Bluestocking of HR novels (new)

Joanna Loves Reading (joannalovesreading) | 4060 comments Mod
SM = Sarah MacLean

message 37: by HR-ML (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) | 124 comments My bad! LOL!

message 38: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "My bad! LOL!"

My fault for being a lazy typist =^..^=

message 39: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments I have loved some Sarah MacLean books and not enjoyed others, especially the ones read more recently. That, in combination with how little time I have had this month, was what had me unsure if I wanted to join. I am late to the party, but I plan to read the January book and be ready to go in February.

message 40: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana wrote: "I have loved some Sarah MacLean books and not enjoyed others, especially the ones read more recently. That, in combination with how little time I have had this month, was what had me unsure if I wa..."

Wonderful Mariana welcome!

message 41: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments Loriidae wrote: "Mariana wrote: "I have loved some Sarah MacLean books and not enjoyed others, especially the ones read more recently. That, in combination with how little time I have had this month, was what had m..."

Thank you! :-)

message 42: by HR-ML (last edited Jan 27, 2018 12:01PM) (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) | 124 comments There have been several SM books I liked. Excepting these (IMO) :

No Good Duke Goes Unpunished
Heroine too dishonest. This won the RITA award so I'm obviously in the minority on this book?

Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover
Heroine too stubborn. She 'dug in her heals' too much.

message 43: by Mariana (new)

Mariana | 2261 comments I just started reading Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake. Prologue and first two chapters in, not impressed.

message 44: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Mariana wrote: "I just started reading Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake. Prologue and first two chapters in, not impressed."

This was my first MacLean, I ended up giving it 2.5 stars.

What aspect isn't working for you?

message 45: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 31, 2018 02:09AM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "There have been several SM books I liked. Excepting these (IMO) :

No Good Duke Goes Unpunished
Heroine too dishonest. This won the RITA award so I'm obviously in the minority on t..."

Yeah a dishonest heroine would kill it for me - I really dislike deception plots

message 46: by Giselle (new)

Giselle Bradley (bradleygiselle) | 172 comments Loriidae wrote: "This was my first MacLean, I ended up giving it 2.5 stars"

I thought you gave it 4 stars?!

message 47: by HR-ML (last edited Jan 31, 2018 11:00AM) (new)

HR-ML (hr-movielover) | 124 comments Loriidae--

Heroines in HRs are hard to develop. She's shy? selfless?
bold? flirty? dwells on her looks? I like when the h is
assertive or becomes so. But aggressive behavior can
be over-the-top. I tire of witchy or calculating heroines
or the ones who get between the hero and a bullet.

message 48: by Loriidae (last edited Jan 31, 2018 02:54PM) (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Giselle wrote: "Loriidae wrote: "This was my first MacLean, I ended up giving it 2.5 stars"

I thought you gave it 4 stars?!"

Oops that should be 3.5 :)

message 49: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments Giselle when did you want to start #2? I can fit anytime in the first 3 weeks of Feb.

message 50: by Loriidae (new)

Loriidae | 1120 comments HR-MovieLover wrote: "Loriidae--

Heroines in HRs are hard to develop. She's shy? selfless?
bold? flirty? dwells on her looks? I like when the h is
assertive or becomes so. But aggressive behavior can
be over-the-top..."

I see what you are saying, it's ok to develop from one to the other but not be everything at once.

« previous 1 3