Library Scavenger Hunt discussion

BOOKS > JANUARY '18 - A dog

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Frances (new)

Frances (nightjar-nal) | 132 comments Mod
Happy new year, everyone! 🎊 2018 is the year of the dog, so this month I challenge you to read a book with a dog on the cover!

As always:
1) Please feel free to use this thread for discussion, recommendations, and reviews.
2) Please also remember to add your book to the group bookshelf! You can do this on the group's main page by scrolling down to where it says "Bookshelf" at the bottom, and clicking on "Add Books".

Happy hunting!

message 2: by Ian (last edited Jan 01, 2018 12:20PM) (new)

Ian If you are looking for a book, then why not try "The Humans" by Matt Haig.

Although I read this brilliant story (fiction, not a historical account - bit like "The Man who Fell to Earth") back in August'17, I could thoroughly recommend it for this month's challenge (5 stars).

The Humans by Matt Haig

message 3: by Chloë (new)

Chloë | 16 comments Mod
Hi Ian,

The Humans would have been on my list of potentials had I come across it in the library. Alas, being in semi-rural Japan, the selection of books written in English is somewhat dire.

message 4: by Ian (new)

Ian Yep, The Humans - great story, great read, great book.

Anyway, hope that you manage to find something suitable, Chloe.

Plenty time left yet though, so no worries...

message 5: by Tara (new)

Tara Million | 20 comments The Humans sounds good - I'll have to take a closer look at it as I figure out what to read. Thanks for the suggestion Ian!

If anyone wants a great Canadian read, try Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis - totally awesome but it'll probably make you cry. I read it in 2016 and it's a 5 star book for me! It also won a Giller Prize and was the winner of Canada Reads in 2017.

So far, for this challenge I've picked up these four at the library. I always seem to like to have a long list that I slowly whittle down to 'the one' whenever I do a reading challenge. I'd welcome any thoughts anyone has on these...or if you've already read them, let me know if you liked them. I'm looking for something that's not too sad.

1. Lily and the Octopus by Steven Rowley
2. Gizelle's Bucket List by Lauren Fern Watt
3. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein
4. Marley and Me by John Grogan

message 6: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin For this challenge I read A Dogs Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron. It was a very cute, feel good book that really brought to light a dog's dedication to their owner. I gave it a 3/5 stars

Also now I really want a puppy

message 7: by Ian (new)

Ian Caitlin - think you might be "barking" up the wrong tree (speaking as someone who has 2 cats)

Just remember: A puppy/dog is for life - not just for Goodreads! :)

Failing that, make sure that you let me know if your "wanting" actually becomes a reality...What breed takes your fancy?

message 8: by Caitlin (new)

Caitlin Ian wrote: "Caitlin - think you might be "barking" up the wrong tree (speaking as someone who has 2 cats)

Just remember: A puppy/dog is for life - not just for Goodreads! :)

Failing that, make sure that you ..."

Don't worry Ian I know not to get a dog until I have stable accommodation and a big yard. I don't think a puppy would like my tiny apartment very much. When I do get a dog It'll have to be a dalmatian, but until then I'll stick with my bearded dragon,

P.S I also love cats

message 9: by Tara (new)

Tara Million | 20 comments Tara wrote: "The Humans sounds good - I'll have to take a closer look at it as I figure out what to read. Thanks for the suggestion Ian!

If anyone wants a great Canadian read, try Fifteen Dogs by Andre Alexis ..."

For this challenge, I ended up reading 'Kiss of the Fur Queen' by Tomson Highway. I decided I wanted to read a book with a dog on the cover that wasn't actually about a dog.

I thought this was an amazing read and gave the book 5 stars! It's beautiful writing and I loved the characters. I looked up the author and found out that it's a fictionalized auto-biography about him and his brother - which made me love it even more.

Highly recommend it - although fair warning - there are some very disturbing parts.

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Sounds interesting Tara - definitely on my "to read" bookshelf.

Thanks for the recommendation.

message 11: by Tara (new)

Tara Million | 20 comments Ian wrote: "Sounds interesting Tara - definitely on my "to read" bookshelf.

Thanks for the recommendation."

Hi Ian - what did you end up reading for the challenge? BTW, I did check out the one you suggested - The Humans - but my library only had one copy and it was out. :(

message 12: by Ian (new)

Ian Hi Tara.

Just re-read "The Humans" again for this month's challenge...woof, woof!

Did see a copy of "Marley and Me" though in the local charity shop - but didn't take my fancy.

At the moment I'm reading about slavery in the USA (novels) as I have joined a discussion group and the moderator has a keen interested in this area. Recently read " 12 Years a Slave" which I thought was pretty good.

You interested reading anything like this?

message 13: by Tara (new)

Tara Million | 20 comments Ian wrote: "Hi Tara.

Just re-read "The Humans" again for this month's challenge...woof, woof!

Did see a copy of "Marley and Me" though in the local charity shop - but didn't take my fancy.

At the moment I'm..."

Hi Ian,

Yes, I have read a few books about slavery in the US. I just read one that I really enjoyed - The Underground Railroad - it's very well written and has alot of magical realism elements which I liked. I read Roots and The Color Purple a few years back and both of those were good but tough reads.

I haven't read 12 Years a Slave but I saw the movie and now the book is on my radar. I sometimes like older books but sometimes the style differences bug me, however, I won't know until I try!

It sounds like an interesting discussion group you've joined. Is it in person or on Goodreads?

message 14: by Ian (new)

Ian Hi Tara,

Believe it or not but "The Underground Railway" is on the list of 12 books that we are going to focus on throughout the year. At the moment I'm actually reading a book called "Home Goings"which is a lot like Roots...I think (saw Roots on the tv in the 1970's and even as a kid I thought it was really interesting).
Btw - This book is for February but I'm getting a head start!!.

Yep, the group is with Goodreads - so I will send you an invite right now...(Hyphen...it is called)

Laters.

message 15: by Frances (new)

Frances (nightjar-nal) | 132 comments Mod
Finished at last! By the time I remembered that I needed to pick something to read, the month was almost up, but I'm glad to have just slid in before the deadline passed. 😅 I read There Is No Dog by Meg Rosoff, in which - in a surprising turn of events - there is actually no dog. Well, I believe a dog may have been mentioned once, but it had absolutely no significance on the story...

My review is here: Nightjar's Jar of Books