Calibre Users discussion

General > Calibre Strategies??

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David (bodam) | 2 comments So I have a bunch of books that I have on my Goodreads shelves. I also have a lot of books in calibre that I have collected over time, and I have books on my Kindle. Any suggestions on strategies to clean everything up?

message 2: by David (new)

David (bodam) | 2 comments I am also wondering about the goodread books that I don't have as ebooks, but as physical books, or perhaps books that I've read but no longer have.

Do I try to keep my goodread shelves and kindle collections in some sort of sync?

message 3: by Pat (new)

Pat (patsbin) Yes, there is a plugin called Goodreads Sync, which has a lot of features. One of the important ones: Performing an action when adding or synching your shelves. I created a custom column in calibre with a simple yes/no flag. It is set when the book is also on my to-read shelf. But this requires a valid connection between your calibre books and the goodreads id. Much of this process can be automated. If you insist on the correct edition e.g. having the kindle version linked, there is a lot of manual work ahead. Once you linked all your books to the correct id here on goodreads, there is nearly everything possible.
If you need more information or are interested in my setup, I may find some time to write something up. But I hope, this helped you a little bit to get an overview.

message 4: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 4 comments I would start by adding the books on the Kindle to Calibre - you can do this by plugging the kindle into one of the usb ports on your computer. In Calibre, you can view the books that are on your Kindle and see which ones are already in Calibre. That way, you have all the books you actually own in one place (not to mention a backup should your Kindle be lost/damaged).

The Goodreads Sync plugin mentioned by Pat is excellent - it's very customisable and allows you to synchronise Calibre tags with Goodreads shelves, as well as going in the opposite direction.

Regarding Kindle Collections - there is a Calibre plugin which allows you to manage collections on the Kindle, but I believe it requires the Kindle to be jailbroken (at least it did the last time I looked at it), and I couldn't get my Kindle to work when I did that. (Doing a factory reset on the Kindle got it working again, but of course that undid the jailbreak!)

There is another very useful Calibre plugin called Reading List, which allows you to set up various lists within Calibre. You can populate a list manually, or you can do it automatically using tags, or you can do it automatically every time you plug in a certain device - so, for example, when I plug in my Kindle, a list called "KPW" updates, which allows me to see, within Calibre, the list of books which were on my Kindle the last time it was plugged in.

Also remember the various Calibre functions which help you to manage your ebooks - e.g. the Find Duplicates function, which allows you to put all the various formats of the same book into one record, the metadata download, and of course the search functions, which are very powerful.

message 5: by CC (new)

CC | 3 comments I also create records for paperbacks (or books I no longer own) in calibre if they are rated in goodreads so it has a record to sync to.

message 6: by Pat (new)

Pat (patsbin) DebsD wrote: "I would start by adding the books on the Kindle to Calibre - you can do this by plugging the kindle into one of the usb ports on your computer. In Calibre, you can view the books that are on your K..."

You will have to look into something like the deDRM plugin to handle the amazon drm stuff, otherwise you won't be able to open the ebooks on your computer. Just a note, not an invitation to do it :)

message 7: by Andi (new)

Andi Harris (andi-candy) | 2 comments David wrote: "So I have a bunch of books that I have on my Goodreads shelves. I also have a lot of books in calibre that I have collected over time, and I have books on my Kindle. Any suggestions on strategies t..."

Someone may have already suggested this, but for the books that you have physical copies of you could always add empty books (with no attached ebook file) to calibre then tag with something like "physical copy". I do something similar with books that i have on preorder. Then you can just look up the goodreads id and have it pull all the metadata for you. That way it hooks up with your goodreads account as well.

message 8: by DebsD (new)

DebsD | 4 comments Andi wrote: "Someone may have already suggested this, but for the books that you have physical copies of you could always add empty books (with no attached ebook file) to calibre then tag with something like "physical copy"."

I do this - and, bearing in mind that you can have "sub-category" tags, I use that feature too. So if I have a hard copy, I'll add an empty book to Calibre and tag it "own.paper", and if I have the audio, I'll tag it "own.audio". Of course if I have both the electronic version and the paper/audio version, I can still use those tags.

As Andi said, I can then link the book to GR and download the metadata - although my workflow doesn't involve adding those books to my GR shelves, because I use Calibre as my catalogue. Still useful to have the link exist though.

message 9: by Andi (new)

Andi Harris (andi-candy) | 2 comments DebsD wrote: "Andi wrote: "Someone may have already suggested this, but for the books that you have physical copies of you could always add empty books (with no attached ebook file) to calibre then tag with some..."

I hadn't thought to add my audio books to calibre.
Not a bad idea, I may do that too after I get all my ebooks situated. I don't have near as many audio books. I'm fairly new to calibre so I am still figuring out how exactly I want to use it, so I haven't set up genre or sub-categories or even categories. Mostly I am just tagging things, figuring I'll figure the rest out as I go along.