Play Book Tag discussion

The Girls
This topic is about The Girls
Archive: Other Books > The Girls / Emma Cline. 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8619 comments This is based on Charles Manson and his cult in the late 1960s. We follow a young Evie, as she gets pulled into the cult by a group of girls she encounters.

I like the idea of the book, but the execution wasn’t so great for me. I didn’t like any of “the girls”, and didn’t “get” Evie’s enthrallment with Susanne or with any of it. Bunch of airheads they all were, I thought! I listened to the audio, and they certainly sounded that way. Not only that, but by the end, a bunch of psycho airheads. I guess I also don’t “get” the culture at the time. I didn’t dislike the story – it was ok. But, I certainly didn’t like any of the characters, nor did I understand their motivation for anything they did, beyond doing whatever-the-heck “Russle” wanted them to do. Sex, drugs… and not much in the way of rock’n’roll.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6002 comments I seem to recall that Linda (Ladyslott) also felt 'meh' about this ... or was it Anita? Whoever wrote the review I remember, she much prefered Leo Buscaglia's nonfiction Helter Skelter: The True Story of the Manson Murders.

I agree with you Cin, in that I never understood that culture ... even though I was a teenager in that era. Just not my scene at all!

LibraryCin | 8619 comments I see it's not been added to my "shelf" here, but I did read "Helter Skelter" when I was in high school (by Vincent Bugliosi). I thought that one was very good. It might be one worth rereading, though.

Ladyslott | 1880 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I seem to recall that Linda (Ladyslott) also felt 'meh' about this ... or was it Anita? Whoever wrote the review I remember, she much prefered Leo Buscaglia's nonfiction [book:Helter Skelter: The T..."

That was me. Helter Skelter was far superior.

Susie | 4488 comments I really need to read Helter Skelter. Linda, I was going to read Unbroken as my ode to you, but now I’m thinking I should read Helter Skelter instead!

Jennifer Pope (jenjunum) | 902 comments This one was meh for me too.

message 7: by Flo (new) - rated it 3 stars

Flo (matthewmurdock) | 147 comments I thought I would really like this, but it kind of fell short of the mark. I don't remember why cause I read it a while ago and it wasn't memorable enough for me to remember it clearly, I just remember I was pretty disappointed in the end.